Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Sheikh Zayed Road. 30 lanes each direction

Sheikh Zayed Road. 30 lanes each direction

Old Apr 10th 2005, 6:44 am
Up in the air

Jammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond repute
Default Sheikh Zayed Road. 30 lanes each direction

Courtesy of Arabian Business Magazine.

Dubai is planning a series of radical measures to combat traffic following revelations in Arabian Business that Sheikh Zayed Road needs to be expanded to 30 lanes in each direction to accomodate the growth in the Emirates traffic.

According to a govermental review, 7000 new vehicles hit the road each month. This means that on average 227 cars are added to the roads each day, adding up to 84,000 a year.

Traffic from the completed Palm Jumeirah alone will be 8000 vehicles per hour during peak morning and evening hours.

Projects to each the traffic congestion:

A fourth creek crossing in the Jadaf area.
Widening of Emirates road from 3 to 5 lanes.
Improving SZR interchanges 5 to 8
Widening of Garhoud bridge to 6 lanes.
Old Apr 10th 2005, 6:47 am
Up in the air

Jammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sheikh Zayed Road. 30 lanes each direction

Originally Posted by Jammy_Dodgers

Dubai is planning a series of radical measures to combat traffic following revelations in Arabian Business that Sheikh Zayed Road needs to be expanded to 30 lanes in each direction to accomodate the growth in the Emirates traffic.

According to a govermental review, 7000 new vehicles hit the road each month. This means that on average 227 cars are added to the roads each day, adding up to 84,000 a year.

Traffic from the completed Palm Jumeirah alone will be 8000 vehicles per hour during peak morning and evening hours.

Source of information :
Arabian Business magazine (March 1-6 2005)
Follow up story and article (March 6-12 2005)
Article by Rhys Jones
Old Apr 10th 2005, 7:28 am
The Delivery Man...

Nabs has much to be proud ofNabs has much to be proud ofNabs has much to be proud ofNabs has much to be proud ofNabs has much to be proud ofNabs has much to be proud ofNabs has much to be proud ofNabs has much to be proud ofNabs has much to be proud ofNabs has much to be proud ofNabs has much to be proud of

That means more bottle neck traffics....they have to change the entire raod systems...thats the only way!
Old Apr 10th 2005, 8:47 am
The Oracle

Face81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of light

Lovely..... now all we need are about 2 dozen more Creek crossings over the extended portion of Dubai Creek and as far as I remember, the municipality scrapped the proposal to widen Garhoud Bridge cos of nearby developments, instead they opted for a 4th crossing in Al Jaddaf - The new Bridge will be called Ras Al Khor Bridge and will connect Al Jaddaf, in Garhoud, to Junction 1 on SZR, therefore adding more cars to SZR! :scared:
Old Apr 10th 2005, 1:39 pm
Sat on the fence ......

Rumble Tumble has a reputation beyond reputeRumble Tumble has a reputation beyond reputeRumble Tumble has a reputation beyond reputeRumble Tumble has a reputation beyond reputeRumble Tumble has a reputation beyond reputeRumble Tumble has a reputation beyond reputeRumble Tumble has a reputation beyond reputeRumble Tumble has a reputation beyond reputeRumble Tumble has a reputation beyond reputeRumble Tumble has a reputation beyond reputeRumble Tumble has a reputation beyond repute

Hey you guy's you heard the one about a possible double decker SZH now thats scarey :scared:
Old Apr 10th 2005, 2:12 pm
The Oracle

Face81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Rumble Tumble
Hey you guy's you heard the one about a possible double decker SZH now thats scarey :scared:
will never happen...... all talk. its an absolutely ridiculous idea and it will look hideous! Wont happen. Trust me.
Old Apr 10th 2005, 2:58 pm
Sat on the fence ......

Rumble Tumble has a reputation beyond reputeRumble Tumble has a reputation beyond reputeRumble Tumble has a reputation beyond reputeRumble Tumble has a reputation beyond reputeRumble Tumble has a reputation beyond reputeRumble Tumble has a reputation beyond reputeRumble Tumble has a reputation beyond reputeRumble Tumble has a reputation beyond reputeRumble Tumble has a reputation beyond reputeRumble Tumble has a reputation beyond reputeRumble Tumble has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Face81
will never happen...... all talk. its an absolutely ridiculous idea and it will look hideous! Wont happen. Trust me.
Thx god 4 that can you imagine it would be abs ridiculous and the consequences if it collapsed or were accidents would be dire :scared:, i trust you....i trust you
Old Apr 10th 2005, 8:50 pm
Up in the air

Originally Posted by Rumble Tumble
Thx god 4 that can you imagine it would be abs ridiculous and the consequences if it collapsed or were accidents would be dire :scared:, i trust you....i trust you
Plus it will really bugger up the view from my apartment
Old Apr 11th 2005, 7:56 am
Sat on the fence ......

Plus it will really bugger up the view from my apartment
LOL yes not so funny, im sure the gov would take that into consideration
Old Apr 11th 2005, 8:22 am
BE Enthusiast

BurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond repute

It's almost as if the urban planners of this Emirate have never been to a big city before. SZR seems inadequate and kinda useless.

Until we can buy rocket cars -- the double-decker road sounds pretty good, as an alternative.

It would be ideal to add one more road underground.
For the heavy trucks and busses that are currently swerving all over the roads here.
Old Apr 11th 2005, 8:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Jeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BurpusMe
It's almost as if the urban planners of this Emirate have never been to a big city before. SZR seems inadequate and kinda useless.

Until we can buy rocket cars -- the double-decker road sounds pretty good, as an alternative.

It would be ideal to add one more road underground.
For the heavy trucks and busses that are currently swerving all over the roads here.
it's not that big a city and the roads here are huge...and while they are woefully inadequate now due to massive growth there has been a lot of foresight in the development of the city.

The touble is is that we are ending up with ribbon development, that is development along the coastline for miles and miles and sheik zayed road will always struggle as no one will want to go inland, along a bit and then back in to the city.....everyone likes direct route.

as always in most cities - a good public transport system is required...a better bus system....Dubai Light Rail is coming soon etc etc

half the problem also is we've got cheap accommodation for the workers on the other side of Dubai to where they all work!
Old Apr 12th 2005, 4:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Border Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond repute

I love my car as much as anybody but in a city the size of Dubai the only answer is a properly intergrated, cheap, public transport system. Although the UK hasn't been able to manage that for the last couple of hundred years...
Old Apr 12th 2005, 5:06 am
Premium Member

Truth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond repute

One of the problems here is cars are cheap and pertol is very cheap. Every tom dick and harry has a car. ever noticed, 99% of cars have only one person in them..... (I love Toyota Echos - theres one at the scene of every accident!!)

I don't think there is a quick fix, for a town of a few million the problem is certainly acute with most people living in high rises or 'estates' with only one road in or out.

Get the cars off the road wheather by public transport, road tolls (heaven forbid), congestion charges, quadrupling the price if gas, car sharing schemes, or a mixture of all..........somethings gonna give when we become totally gridlocked.

Interchange one will be fun when the 'most prestigous square kilometer on the planet" is finished !!!

Closing the border with Sharjah or doubling rents in Sharjah would help.

I just walk now, its generally quicker.....

Cheers
TS
Old Apr 12th 2005, 5:47 am
Up in the air

Originally Posted by Truth Speak
One of the problems here is cars are cheap and pertol is very cheap. Every tom dick and harry has a car. ever noticed, 99% of cars have only one person in them..... (I love Toyota Echos - theres one at the scene of every accident!!)

I don't think there is a quick fix, for a town of a few million the problem is certainly acute with most people living in high rises or 'estates' with only one road in or out.

Get the cars off the road wheather by public transport, road tolls (heaven forbid), congestion charges, quadrupling the price if gas, car sharing schemes, or a mixture of all..........somethings gonna give when we become totally gridlocked.

Interchange one will be fun when the 'most prestigous square kilometer on the planet" is finished !!!

Closing the border with Sharjah or doubling rents in Sharjah would help.

I just walk now, its generally quicker.....

Cheers
TS
When (if) the buillding works finish, the roads will be lighter of 80,000 construction workers and 1,000's of lorries

hopefully this traffic will reduce the odds of me getting another speeding ticket !
Old Apr 12th 2005, 7:56 am
Premium Member

Truth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond repute

When (if) the buillding works finish, the roads will be lighter of 80,000 construction workers and 1,000's of lorries

hopefully this traffic will reduce the odds of me getting another speeding ticket !
Lol, U gonna wait till 2010?

U in Dubai or KSA at the mo?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.