Sharks In Dubai

Old Nov 26th 2004, 3:29 pm
Its all good

Fairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond repute
Default Sharks In Dubai

Was swimming with my daughter today down at the beach in Umm Suq and got me thinking whether there are any sharks in the waters here - does anyone know? Guess maybe I've been watching too many of the shark attack programs on discovery but would be nice to know. :scared: Also thought, once again, (not like me but there you go!!) if there were any attacks would they be reported via local media!!!!!!!!!

Yours wanting to hear nice information FD
Old Nov 26th 2004, 3:30 pm
Its all good

Fairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sharks In Dubai

Originally Posted by Fairydust
Was swimming with my daughter today down at the beach in Umm Suq and got me thinking whether there are any sharks in the waters here - does anyone know? Guess maybe I've been watching too many of the shark attack programs on discovery but would be nice to know. :scared: Also thought, once again, (not like me but there you go!!) if there were any attacks would they be reported via local media!!!!!!!!!

Sorry must also add thats not the human male variety that are often hanging around down there :
Old Nov 26th 2004, 8:19 pm
Just Joined

sammykona is on a distinguished road

If there are sharks, I wonder what kind they do have? Out here the white tip reef shark is pretty harmless. We've seen them while snorkeling and they don't mess with people. I did see a Tiger shark while canoe paddling once and those you need to keep away from .. especially around sunset when they're hungry

Aloha from Hawaii!

Sam
Old Nov 27th 2004, 2:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Benson is a splendid one to beholdBenson is a splendid one to beholdBenson is a splendid one to beholdBenson is a splendid one to beholdBenson is a splendid one to beholdBenson is a splendid one to beholdBenson is a splendid one to beholdBenson is a splendid one to beholdBenson is a splendid one to beholdBenson is a splendid one to beholdBenson is a splendid one to behold

yes there are some sharks here, I have caught a couple, not big enough to attack a human. There have been a few caught on the east cost and friends have sited a tiger shark but after living here for over 20 years and also being a diver and knowing lots of other divers I have never heard of any shark attacks. You are more likely to see Dolphins I have seen more of them than sharks here. I have never worried about it.
Old Nov 28th 2004, 10:33 am
Just Joined

R@chel is an unknown quantity at this point

We regularly saw black tips when we went diving/snorkeling but they don't seem particularly interested in us. We did see a tiger shark when we went to
Mussen Dam and when we returned to the harbour there were hammer heads that had been caught in some fishermans nets.