British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Sharjah (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/sharjah-762896/)

nonthaburi Jun 26th 2012 5:21 am

Sharjah

Been offered a job there and the housing allowance is 3600 Dirhams for one month . What if anything does this get ?

Eeyore Jun 26th 2012 6:06 am

Re: Sharjah

In Dubai it would get you a studio/1-bed apartment somewhere like Discovery Gardens, so in Sharjah it probably gets you, well, a bigger apartment.

Just FYI, rent here is typically paid annually in advance, but many companies do not give you the necessary lump sum to pay this. Find out the company policy of your potential employer; quoting a monthly figure for housing allowance is fairly meaningless if you have to pay a year's rent upfront and the company will not lend this to you.

That said, since the property crash there has been a massive oversupply of apartments here and so in some cases it's become possible to pay (shock, horror, gasp) monthly. That's what we do in Dubai.

mentalist Jun 26th 2012 6:33 am

You intend moving from Bangkok to Sharjah.:eek:You have my deepest sympathy. The nearest place in cultural style to Sharjah I can think of is Islamabad, so good luck.

nonthaburi Jun 27th 2012 2:49 am

I don't think I'm going to take the job . The money isn't that great and if I go I want it to be worthwhile . I've been offered other jobs in Saudi so I think I'll be moving there . If I'm going to go somewhere with that kind of culture it's gonna have to be worthwhile and the Saudi deal is quite good . Got quite a boring life in BKK so I've been practicing .

Oyibopeppeh Jun 27th 2012 5:09 am

Originally Posted by nonthaburi (Post 10141168)
Got quite a boring life in BKK so I've been practicing .

I'll swap places with you any day you like

nonthaburi Jun 27th 2012 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by Oyibopeppeh (Post 10141298)
I'll swap places with you any day you like

Is your other half a good cook ?:unsure:

Oyibopeppeh Jun 27th 2012 5:39 pm

Originally Posted by nonthaburi (Post 10142086)
Is your other half a good cook ?:unsure:

Only if you like peppeh

or peppeh with eggs

or peppeh with eggs and ham

you know the rest of it... :lol:

mentalist Jun 27th 2012 8:44 pm

Originally Posted by nonthaburi (Post 10141168)
I don't think I'm going to take the job . The money isn't that great and if I go I want it to be worthwhile . I've been offered other jobs in Saudi so I think I'll be moving there .

:eek:

mission Jun 27th 2012 10:28 pm

seriously Sharjah :eek: :rofl:

keep WELL AWAY - that place is frigging mini paki/indian and more to the point mini frigging KSA.

maudawia Jun 28th 2012 6:38 am

Originally Posted by mission (Post 10143090)

keep WELL AWAY - that place is frigging mini paki/indian and more to the point mini frigging KSA.

sharjah may be good for family if the salary is ok but for single it is very hard not fun ....only u can walk on the beach alone

nonthaburi Jun 28th 2012 8:03 am

Originally Posted by mission (Post 10143090)

you don't like Pakistani / Indians then ?

Debowing Jun 28th 2012 8:23 am

Hello Nonthaburi, I moved last year from UAE to Thailand and I may miss Dubai sometimes, Fujairah a little tiny bit, but Sharjah?? It is going to wreck havoc on your mental status...At least try for a job in Dubai...KSA??? I have no idea about KSA, but it is the Pitts...If money is that important to you...

I am earning 40% less here than what I was earning in Dubai and I am still happier here...But I served my 15 years in the Gulf, now it is time to live a bit better, in a happier country....

If you like Indians and Pakistanis then Sharjah is not bad....But seriously try Dubai, it is much much better than Sharjah or even KSA....

Also if you really wanted to move to UAE, I would highly recommend taking a 2 week vacation to visit Dubai and Sharjah, maybe Abu Dhabi too and do some job hunting also....Maybe you will find the place livable or unbearable...In any case I can advise you of certain things if you want to know...PM me...if you need.

mentalist Jun 28th 2012 2:24 pm

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=763165
Enough said.