Sewing Machines

Old Feb 1st 2011, 8:49 pm
Just Joined

worcesterhippo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Sewing Machines

Hi, I may be moving to Riyadh if my husband goes ahead with the job offer. I love to make my own clothes and understand that there is a good supply of quality fabric available. Does anyone know if I can buy a sewing machine and overlocker in Riyadh or would it be worth bringing my old ones with me?

Thanks.
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 4:13 am
BE Forum Addict

nottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sewing Machines

Originally Posted by worcesterhippo
Hi, I may be moving to Riyadh if my husband goes ahead with the job offer. I love to make my own clothes and understand that there is a good supply of quality fabric available. Does anyone know if I can buy a sewing machine and overlocker in Riyadh or would it be worth bringing my old ones with me?

Thanks.
Although I've never gone out and looked for one, I would imagine there are plenty of places you can get both machines from. Only found a few fabric / textile shops, but I'm sure there will be more when you look harder than I did.

Riyadh ( and Saudi in general ) is quite odd when it comes to shopping, as all the shops selling the same product(s) tend to be concentrated in the same area. Although they are called a souk, they are not as one might imagine, an outdoor market. So, the Mobile Phone souk is full of exactly what it suggests, then there is the Paint souk, Computer Souk, Car Souk etc . I'm sure there is a textile souk and will probably even be sewing machine souk....
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 10:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Millsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond repute

They sell sewing machines in Carrefour here in Abu Dhabi so I would suspect they're fairly readily available in Riyadh too.

Don't know what an overlocker is though - I had a locker at school but I've not knowingly encountered an overlocker.
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 12:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

nottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond repute

An overlocker is a machine that stitches over the cut of the material and kind of 'seals' it. Then when you hem the garment, it gives a tidier finish and less likely to fray.

I thank you.
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 12:12 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nottmbantam
An overlocker is a machine that stitches over the cut of the material and kind of 'seals' it. Then when you hem the garment, it gives a tidier finish and less likely to fray.

I thank you.
never had you down as a seamstress ...
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 12:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Alexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks.
You will easily find both types of machines there. Although I do not know if they would be more expensive than in England. There is, as nottmbantam said, as souk that specializes in everything connected to sewing. It is close to the women's souk on "chop chop" square.
And you will also find a vast array of fabric...good quality and not so good quality.
Ask around on your compound ,(if you live on one) the ladies will know where to go. There should also be a shopping bus taking you there.

Happy sewing.
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 12:36 pm
Just Joined

worcesterhippo is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you for your replies.

lockers? The overlocker is the machine that sews with 4 threads at one time two zig zag (you still awake ) and two straight stitches. so it puts a nice edge on the fabric and stops it fraying. If you have a sweatshirt or tee shirt you will see the sewing where the neck or sleeves are sewn on. or not.

I will probably leave the machines behind and buy more up-to-date ones.
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 1:29 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

And if you've got an old-fashioned Singer-type, it may be worth bringing that over. Last year there was a rumour running round Saudi that they contained the elusive element Red Mercury (elusive coz it doesn't exist), and apparently they were changing hands for ridiculous prices.
Old Feb 5th 2011, 2:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
never had you down as a seamstress ...
A bit handy with an old manual Singer. Me Mam was a seamstress though, worked for years as a sewing machinist, about the only job she could get as non 'skilled' immigrant coming into the UK in 1970. Learned all my sewing skills from her. Bless.

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
And if you've got an old-fashioned Singer-type, it may be worth bringing that over. Last year there was a rumour running round Saudi that they contained the elusive element Red Mercury (elusive coz it doesn't exist), and apparently they were changing hands for ridiculous prices.
Aha, got one those back in Blighty. Made a very quick and simple curtain just before jetting back in the New Year to the highlife in Saudi....
Old Feb 5th 2011, 2:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thank you for your replies.

lockers? The overlocker is the machine that sews with 4 threads at one time two zig zag (you still awake ) and two straight stitches. so it puts a nice edge on the fabric and stops it fraying. If you have a sweatshirt or tee shirt you will see the sewing where the neck or sleeves are sewn on. or not.

I will probably leave the machines behind and buy more up-to-date ones.
I just said that! ^^^^^
Old Feb 5th 2011, 3:38 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

A bit handy with an old manual Singer. Me Mam was a seamstress though, worked for years as a sewing machinist, about the only job she could get as non 'skilled' immigrant coming into the UK in 1970. Learned all my sewing skills from her. Bless.

did your family come from India or Africa?
Old Feb 5th 2011, 5:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
did your family come from India or Africa?
Both !

Long story short....Family originally from the Punjab region of India. At the time of The Partition ( 1947 ) instead of going to the newly created Pakistan, the family migrated to Kenya. My Mum was brought up there, Dad was already there as his family had made the move a few years previously, and it's where both my sister and I were born.
Old Feb 5th 2011, 10:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Hippo,

In Dubai (so may be useless reply as you are looking in Saudi) you can't get the full range you can in UK of domestic machines but you may be able to pick up industrial machines quite cheaply. Price wise the machines I have seen seem cheaper than ones in the UK but I haven't seen the same model I have in the UK for an exact comparison.

And just to be pedantic an overlocker can be a 3 thead, 4 or 5 thread machine depending on what fabric its sewing.

Kittycat
xxx
Old Feb 6th 2011, 9:33 am
BE Enthusiast

Bluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really nice

Sewing machines are not made as well as they used to be! I bought a Singer machine (sold on licence in the middle east) and it was rubbish, wouldn't sew three layers of medium thick fabric together. If your sewing machine and overlocker are a few years old then I would definitely take them. I ended up buying an second hand industrial brother lockstitch and a yokohamo overlocker, these were much cheaper in the UAE than the uk, unlike the domestic machines.
Old Feb 6th 2011, 2:15 pm
Concierge

Both !

Long story short....Family originally from the Punjab region of India. At the time of The Partition ( 1947 ) instead of going to the newly created Pakistan, the family migrated to Kenya. My Mum was brought up there, Dad was already there as his family had made the move a few years previously, and it's where both my sister and I were born.
I have a friend here with the same history! I suspected yours might be similar, to be you are just a tall dark handsome stranger surrounded in a mystical history

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.