Reload this Page >

Sewage smell in new building

Sewage smell in new building

Old Jul 18th 2018, 5:51 am
Just Joined

Abudhabi2018 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Sewage smell in new building

Morning all,

We went to view two properties in the new Horizon Tower on Reem Island. Both were on the same floor, just a few doors apart but slightly different sizes. Both were stunning inside, but one of them had a sewage like smell. It's wasn't that strong a smell but nonetheless it did smell.
I discussed this with the agent and the building owners and both seemed to suggest it was because it was new the smell will be coming from the drains which was normal given the appartment had not yet been occupied. I've read on a few forums this is easily dealt with upon moving in by using some baking soda and boiling water but I wondered if any others had faced similar issues?

Thanks
Old Jul 18th 2018, 7:10 am
Forum Regular

fezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Sewage smell in new building

I'd be very wary of any defects. I've heard countless stories of landlords promising (and failing) to fix defects prior to moving in. There are so many problems with buildings in the region that it could easily be a defect that can't/wont be fixed. As soon as you sign the contract it's your problem, and you'd struggle to get the landlord to fix.
Old Jul 18th 2018, 8:04 am
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Abudhabi2018
Morning all,

We went to view two properties in the new Horizon Tower on Reem Island. Both were on the same floor, just a few doors apart but slightly different sizes. Both were stunning inside, but one of them had a sewage like smell. It's wasn't that strong a smell but nonetheless it did smell.
I discussed this with the agent and the building owners and both seemed to suggest it was because it was new the smell will be coming from the drains which was normal given the appartment had not yet been occupied. I've read on a few forums this is easily dealt with upon moving in by using some baking soda and boiling water but I wondered if any others had faced similar issues?

Thanks
Potentially if the building is new and because the drainage is not fully in use including your apartment, then the floor traps, shower traps, s-bend traps under the sinks etc. all dry out and the sewage smell comes back up the pipe.
Easily solved by running all the taps usually.
Old Jul 18th 2018, 10:40 pm
Forum Regular

Arcadia has a reputation beyond reputeArcadia has a reputation beyond reputeArcadia has a reputation beyond reputeArcadia has a reputation beyond reputeArcadia has a reputation beyond reputeArcadia has a reputation beyond reputeArcadia has a reputation beyond reputeArcadia has a reputation beyond reputeArcadia has a reputation beyond reputeArcadia has a reputation beyond reputeArcadia has a reputation beyond repute

This is a common problem in the high rise apartments in Abu Dhabi.
we moved into a new build at Muroor and the workmen had swept all the bits of plaster, tiles, dust etc down the drainage holes in the floor, so the outcome was years of blocked pipes and smells.
I used to welcome the smell of chickens cooking at 1am every morning just to get rid of the smell of crap.
Old Jul 21st 2018, 7:54 am
"Insert witty title here"

Irishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond repute

I have been home hunting in the past 2 months now and I must have visited atleast 70 different flats and I can assure you that the smell has nothing to do with new or old buildings or used or unused pipes or 'Leave the AC on for a few days and it will go away yakhi!'. Go with your gut, if it doesnt feel right (or in this case smell right) then it probably isnt. I finally signed the lease on something that we instantly loved the moment we stepped inside it and to be honest it had been vacant for the past 4 months I was told and there was no smell whatsoever of any kind.
Old Aug 7th 2018, 8:38 am
Forum Regular

bestvue is just really nicebestvue is just really nicebestvue is just really nicebestvue is just really nicebestvue is just really nicebestvue is just really nicebestvue is just really nicebestvue is just really nice

As previously mentioned this is usually due to the U traps drying out on a new property. Run all the taps. Flush the toilets And go back a week later and check.