Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Settlement Visa in UK

Settlement Visa in UK

Old Dec 3rd 2011, 6:36 pm
Forum Regular

Investoman_uae has a brilliant futureInvestoman_uae has a brilliant futureInvestoman_uae has a brilliant futureInvestoman_uae has a brilliant futureInvestoman_uae has a brilliant futureInvestoman_uae has a brilliant futureInvestoman_uae has a brilliant future
Default Settlement Visa in UK

Hi Guys,

Hope you can help.

I am a British Citizen living in uae with my non-british wife for more than 4 years.

I have been told that if you want to go back to UK to settle you can take your wife via a Settlement Visa since i been married to her for more than 4 years.

Anyway the issue is as follows.

Do I need to live with her in UK? I am worried I may not find a job there ... I have a decent job here so is it possible to send her to uk and keep going back and forth between UK and Dubai?

Whats the situation with the Taxes? Do I need to pay any tax?

Whats the full procedure ... does she need to do some test here before she goes?

I am abit confused about all of this.

Inv.
Old Dec 4th 2011, 12:35 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Settlement Visa in UK

Head over to the Moving Back to UK forum.

The question has been asked and answered quite a lot over there. I don't know the answer as they changed the rules regarding the test recently, not sure when that went into affect though.
Old Dec 4th 2011, 2:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Oyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond repute

Also try here:

http://www.ukresident.com

The same question gets asked many times over
Old Dec 4th 2011, 3:44 am
Forum Regular

Investoman_uae has a brilliant futureInvestoman_uae has a brilliant futureInvestoman_uae has a brilliant futureInvestoman_uae has a brilliant futureInvestoman_uae has a brilliant futureInvestoman_uae has a brilliant futureInvestoman_uae has a brilliant future

Thanks I read those links and found helpful info, one question remains unanswered.

One of the conditions is tht I must return with her to settle in UK permanently.

I can't do tht straight away since its almost impossible to find a job in uk. I have to stay here with current job and travel back to uk on and off until I find a job there.

Is this possible to do? Travel with her to settle but still go out of country and stay here long months for the job.

Inv.
Old Dec 4th 2011, 4:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Oyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Investoman_uae

Is this possible to do? Travel with her to settle but still go out of country and stay here long months for the job.

No. You are acting as her sponsor in the UK and therefore will need to show proof of your own resident status. That means proof of employment in the UK.

Last edited by Oyibopeppeh; Dec 4th 2011 at 4:34 am. Reason: got me mucking words in a fuddle
Old Dec 4th 2011, 5:02 am
BE Forum Addict

mentalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oyibopeppeh
No. You are acting as her sponsor in the UK and therefore will need to show proof of your own resident status. That means proof of employment in the UK.
Not sure why proof of UK employment necessarily means proof of UK residency. What if you are retired? Surely resident for tax purposes would be sufficient.
Old Dec 4th 2011, 5:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by mentalist
Not sure why proof of UK employment necessarily means proof of UK residency. What if you are retired? Surely resident for tax purposes would be sufficient.

The term is actually "settled" rather than "resident". I've been down this same road myself and for my wife to qualify for naturalization it would have meant both of us living in the UK.
Old Dec 5th 2011, 3:05 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Oyibopeppeh
The term is actually "settled" rather than "resident". I've been down this same road myself and for my wife to qualify for naturalization it would have meant both of us living in the UK.

Thanks for your input.

What if I worked outside uk for a while and paid taxes would this still work? I am to be free to move in and out of uk until my contract ends.

Inv.
Old Dec 5th 2011, 3:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Investoman_uae
Thanks for your input.

What if I worked outside uk for a while and paid taxes would this still work? I am to be free to move in and out of uk until my contract ends.

Inv.

I would try asking the question on the other site I gave the link to, there are several qualified immigration experts over there.

It's down to you to show the Home Office that you are both settled in the UK; whether they would consider the fact that you spend a lot of time out of the UK as being settled, I can't answer.
Old Jul 22nd 2012, 10:05 pm
Just Joined

umarbinrana is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there, I am at the moment considering getting married to a dubai resident, I am a uk citizen. What paperwork did you need to get maried in the shariah court?

I would also be interested to know how your settlement goes with your wife to the uk. This may be soemithng that i would consider in the future.

I greatly appreaciate your advice and time.