Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Setting up Skype in Dubai

Setting up Skype in Dubai

Old May 11th 2011, 8:51 am
Forum Regular

Neillybhoy has a brilliant futureNeillybhoy has a brilliant futureNeillybhoy has a brilliant futureNeillybhoy has a brilliant futureNeillybhoy has a brilliant futureNeillybhoy has a brilliant future
Default Setting up Skype in Dubai

Hello,

I am currently visiting Dubai and my friend from the UK who lives here does not have Skype. She went to set it up this morning and it automatically takes her to the Arab site. Is there a way of downloading it in English?? Already tried www.skype.co.uk and it just redirects to the Arab language also.

Any advice on how to set it up would be most helpful! Or a link in the English language, please?

Thanks,
Maria.
Old May 11th 2011, 8:54 am
Forum Regular

Millemonkey is just really niceMillemonkey is just really niceMillemonkey is just really niceMillemonkey is just really niceMillemonkey is just really niceMillemonkey is just really niceMillemonkey is just really niceMillemonkey is just really nice
Default Re: Setting up Skype in Dubai

Originally Posted by Neillybhoy
Hello,

I am currently visiting Dubai and my friend from the UK who lives here does not have Skype. She went to set it up this morning and it automatically takes her to the Arab site. Is there a way of downloading it in English?? Already tried www.skype.co.uk and it just redirects to the Arab language also.

Any advice on how to set it up would be most helpful! Or a link in the English language, please?

Thanks,
Maria.
I didn't think you were even allowed to download Skype out here?? I was told before I left the UK that I had to already have Skype as it was a blocked form of communication out here?

I don't know whether this will work, but if you use Google Chrome as your browser it has a facility to translate pages into English so at least you'll understand what you're looking at!
Old May 11th 2011, 8:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute

You needed to download it befroe you get here.
Old May 11th 2011, 9:14 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Or download via a VPN.
Old May 11th 2011, 9:15 am
Forum Regular

Neillybhoy has a brilliant futureNeillybhoy has a brilliant futureNeillybhoy has a brilliant futureNeillybhoy has a brilliant futureNeillybhoy has a brilliant futureNeillybhoy has a brilliant future

Hello,

Thanks,
Maria.
Thanks! She goes home in a few weeks so I will let her know and she can download it at home then!
Old May 11th 2011, 9:17 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Meow
Or download via a VPN.
They have VPN but Im not familiar with using it or how it works.
Any other suggestions??
Thank you!!!
Old May 11th 2011, 9:45 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

They have VPN but Im not familiar with using it or how it works.
Any other suggestions??
Thank you!!!
Um, turn on the VPN and use that. It's just a way of accessing the internet. It's the quickest and easiest solution.
Old May 11th 2011, 10:34 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Meow
Um, turn on the VPN and use that. It's just a way of accessing the internet. It's the quickest and easiest solution.
Will try it! Thank you!
Maria.
Old May 11th 2011, 10:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

You don't need a VPN to download skype in the UAE anymore. It is no longer blocked and you can also use skype without a VPN.

However, you cannot do skypeout calls without a VPN.

If you are struggling to download an english copy of skype from the skype website then I would google the following: 'skype mirror site' and take your pick from the list.
Old May 11th 2011, 10:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Millhouse
You don't need a VPN to download skype in the UAE anymore. It is no longer blocked and you can also use skype without a VPN.

However, you cannot do skypeout calls without a VPN.

If you are struggling to download an english copy of skype from the skype website then I would google the following: 'skype mirror site' and take your pick from the list.
it's blocked by etisalat...

MM, xx
Old May 11th 2011, 10:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa
it's blocked by etisalat...

MM, xx
still? Said in the paper that they had both released it... that day Du did for sure.
Old May 11th 2011, 10:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Millhouse
still? Said in the paper that they had both released it... that day Du did for sure.
just tried it...that warning screen thingie comes up...

MM, xx
Old May 11th 2011, 10:57 am
Eh?

RDP80 is an unknown quantity at this point

I was using skypeout to call landlines in the UK from my hotel when I was last there a few weeks ago - pretty sure I didnt have the VPN on at the time.
Old May 11th 2011, 12:18 pm
Forum Regular

Chris_m is an unknown quantity at this point

Download it via a torrent site such as isohunt.com etc. I have it on flash pen if you're really stuck!

C
Old May 11th 2011, 12:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paracletus will become famous soon enoughParacletus will become famous soon enough

Just go to a torrent site and download it...No need to use the official site..Weird how the torrent sites seem not to be blocked with all the shit they contain...lol.

Alternatively..not sure if it works in the UAE, but gmail now offers a reasonable voip thing.

Edit: Get someone in the uk or the rest of the 'free' world to download it for you and send it via email. It's a tiny file.

Last edited by Paracletus; May 11th 2011 at 12:31 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.