Reload this Page >

Setting up 'shop' in Saudi

Setting up 'shop' in Saudi

Old Sep 22nd 2014, 8:50 am
Just Joined

Bigfrank28 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Setting up 'shop' in Saudi

Hi there,

I have an offer from a company in Riyadh and have a few questions on the basics I am going to have to set up to live there. I would appreciate any help:

Accommodation -
I would look to live at a western compound. Can anyone recommend a good one in Riyadh
How much rent do you need upfront?
Are there any other monthly cost associated with living in a compound
How long does it usually take to move in?
Are apartments furnished?

Car -
How does finance for a car work out there?
What kind of deposit do you need?
What kind of interest can I expect to pay?
How long does it take to buy a car?
How much is insurance in comparison to UK costs

Thanks in anticipation
Old Sep 22nd 2014, 6:38 pm
Forum Regular

Gobobo has a reputation beyond reputeGobobo has a reputation beyond reputeGobobo has a reputation beyond reputeGobobo has a reputation beyond reputeGobobo has a reputation beyond reputeGobobo has a reputation beyond reputeGobobo has a reputation beyond reputeGobobo has a reputation beyond reputeGobobo has a reputation beyond reputeGobobo has a reputation beyond reputeGobobo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Setting up 'shop' in Saudi

Hi Frank,

Congrats on the offer, is it a good one? No offence, but the offer of employment is really important when looking to move out here. Also the company you're working for; is its reputation good, do people stay or does the entrance have a revolving door, do they provide housing and a car or allowances for them?

Also have you driven in the ME before? Someone new to the 'experience' might prefer to get a rental until they're used to the conditions (it sometimes resembles banger racing at night, without any floodlights). You do see a lot of nice, shiny cars around but there's often a wreck or two as well. Once you do decide admin generally take their time, you have to get used to the slow way everything works. A lot of compounds have long waiting lists and life in an apartment is usually much cheaper, allowing you time to save the necessary deposit and find a compound and car that suit you most.

But that's just my view, maybe someone else would prefer to get set up as quickly as possible. Different strokes for different folks. Step one is getting on the plane, once you're here you've overcome the most difficult obstacle.
Old Sep 22nd 2014, 7:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

nottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond repute

Hi and welcome,
Accommodation:
Western Compounds are relatively expensive, most will want the full years lease payment up front, some do 6 monthly deals. Depending on how big you want your abode, a two bed flat will start at around 100,000 and go upwards to around 220,000SR, depending on the compound. Difficult to recommend one before knowing your budget and intended location. The area around Exit 8 of the ring road has quite a few compounds.

Other monthlies depends on the compound. Some include all utility bills, some don't. Internet is another cost. Most provide some basic tv channels, but again, if you want your own satellite to, that's extra. Phone bills are also additional. I would guess you'll get a company provided mobile

Apartments on compunds are all usually furnished, and with all kitchen appliances and AC.

Transport.
As pointed out by Gobobo, driving in Riyadh in insane. Literally. I'd advise anyone to either travel by taxi or hire a driver.
Used cars are available , but of buyer beware. Most advisable to buy one from another expat who's leaving.

Once you're here, you'll have to get your residency permit. The Iqama. This ID is the key to everything. Can't really do much without it. Leasing a car is proving more popular, about 2,000SR a month will get you a reasonable SUV. Insurance is much cheaper than the UK.

Good luck.
Old Sep 22nd 2014, 9:59 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the advice guys.

The company making the offer is a fairly big consultancy. Their offer is based on a basic with 3months salary for accommodation plus transport. Still in the process of finalising the contract. They will arrange and pay for all necessary paperwork getting me there and helping me sort a flat and car.

Not sure exactly where in Riyadh I'll be based yet though.

How much does it cost to rent an apartment and are they in relatively safe areas? Are they furnished too?

When buying a car on finance what % deposit is normal?
Old Sep 23rd 2014, 6:41 am
Forum Regular

Gobobo has a reputation beyond reputeGobobo has a reputation beyond reputeGobobo has a reputation beyond reputeGobobo has a reputation beyond reputeGobobo has a reputation beyond reputeGobobo has a reputation beyond reputeGobobo has a reputation beyond reputeGobobo has a reputation beyond reputeGobobo has a reputation beyond reputeGobobo has a reputation beyond reputeGobobo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bigfrank28
How much does it cost to rent an apartment and are they in relatively safe areas? Are they furnished too?
Lots of variables with costs and if furnished. Your best bet is to Google for apartments in Riyadh and look close to your work. Riyadh's going through a lot of traffic problems because of the new multi-billion-dollar Metro being built, as you can't tunnel in sand so you have to dig down. The lines will all run under the main roads. Friends of friends say it's only going to get worse and my commute has doubled recently.

Riyadh has been safe (apart from the driving) for years, I think the last 'troubles' were about 10 years ago when foreign compounds were targeted. A couple of years ago the secret police rounded up dozens of potential bad guys but I don't know what happened to them or if the story was legit. Considering every expat here has to have police checks before entering the country and the locals are not exactly immune to prosecution/death for major offences, violent behaviour is pretty rare, compared to other capitals. I've lived in compounds and apartments and never felt uneasy, except for when on the road.
Old Sep 23rd 2014, 9:26 am
Just Joined

Thanks Gobobo.

How much would I expect to pay per month, and pay up front, to rent a 2 bedroom apartment in Riyadh?

Do they look for a minimum rental period?
Old Sep 23rd 2014, 9:29 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bigfrank28
Thanks Gobobo.

How much would I expect to pay per month, and pay up front, to rent a 2 bedroom apartment in Riyadh?

Do they look for a minimum rental period?
Lots of variables with costs and if furnished. Your best bet is to Google for apartments in Riyadh and look close to your work.
Old Sep 23rd 2014, 1:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Beakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to behold

Single/married (+kids)?
Budget?
Work location?

I wouldn't expect anyone to post all that in a public forum, and you shouldn't, but these variables are critical to receiving information. You'll need to talk to someone(s) privately off this board I think.
Old Sep 23rd 2014, 1:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

nottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond repute

2 Bed apartment on Granada Compound is listed as 180,000 sr per annum. With some negotiation, you'll get this for around 155-160. Fully furnished. It's empty at the moment so lots available.

Eid Compound is the same price, but not open to negotiation.
Córdoba Compound for a 2 bed villa is around 220,000 SR
Arizona compound about 225,000 for two bed, but highly sought after, doubt you'll get anything.

To be honest, the standard contract you're on ( 3 months basic salary for your housing) wild mean , I'm assuming, you're budget would be around the 150k mark. Maybe higher.

Seder Village is cheaper, and has inferior standard accommodation, but a three bed bungalow with large private garden can be had for around 130,000 and smaller apartments are naturally cheaper.

Not sure on the deposit needed to buy a new car, I've always bought mine used.
Old Sep 23rd 2014, 5:43 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for that
Old Sep 23rd 2014, 7:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Forgot to add Al Hamra Compound, rang them last week, their price for a 2 bed apartment is 205,000 SR. Nice compound, large, good location. Also Kingdom Compound , near to Exit 5 off the ring road, for a 2 bed will be around the 200k mark. There are new compounds being built though, California should be ready to open soon I thunk, haven't been to that neck of the woods for a while so don't know. Al Bustan is new and prices there are around 160k. Also Al Reem just off Thumamah Road looks reasonably priced.
Old Sep 23rd 2014, 7:09 pm
Just Joined

Brilliant. Ill check them out. Thanks
Old Sep 23rd 2014, 11:19 pm
Forum Regular

FriendlyExpat is an unknown quantity at this point

For compounds, see this post: http://britishexpats.com/forum/middl...mpound-789469/

Compounds are better for social life, freedom and access to a western lifestyle. But if you're here by yourself, it's completely fine + safe to live off compound (but if your wife is here...forget this as she will be too restricted). You can rent a perfectly OK apartment for 12 months for 20,000 SAR or a huuuuuge house for up to 150,000 SAR (but always unfurnished and always requires 12 months payment up front). To get settled in there are plenty of cheapo Saudi apartment hotels for 2,000 - 6,000 SAR a month (the low end of this price spectrum will be "interesting" but the upper end will be reasonably OK). Just get a taxi driver to drive you around randomly and pull over whenever you see a building with neon lights on the front as that is often the sign of a hotel.

For cars, you can use taxis (cheap, but a bit of a hassle and the driving standards are appalling), or you can rent (2,000 SAR a month from Best Rent a car at the airport (requires negotiation) which is much nicer but requires a steep learning curve to deal with Riyadh traffic or you can buy (for which see this post: http://britishexpats.com/forum/middl...-saudi-842893/)