Reload this Page >

Setting up home broadband, Muscat

Setting up home broadband, Muscat

Old Apr 12th 2019, 7:24 am
Just Joined

DVN999 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Setting up home broadband, Muscat

Hello again!

I am due to return to Oman shortly, taking my long suffering wife with me, so we can finally settle in

Unfortunately my employer is sending me away with work, 2 days after we arrive, so the missus is going to be on her own, in a new country for 2 weeks - think she wants to kill me!

To that end, I’m very keen to ensure we have internet set up ASAP in the house on the complex we are living in, so she can work from home and, more importantly, connect with friends and family. And YouTube videos of cats falling over.

We are going to be getting into Muscat on Saturday 20th, and our only real opportunity to visit any providers will be on the Sunday. Does anyone know how quickly internet can be set up? Also, what do I need to take to enable this (letter of no-objection, salary certificate, residents pass, etc)...

If it is a more drawn out process, is there the facility to purchase a ‘dongle’ or such like, as an interim measure?

Thanks, as always,

David
Old Apr 12th 2019, 10:42 am
Just Joined

asjglx will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Setting up home broadband, Muscat

OmanTel is your best bet for internet, take your residence card to one of their stores and they will usually get a technician out to your home within a couple of days. They will show you a Google Earth type map on their computer and you will need to pin-point your home on this. From this they can tell you exactly what sort of service they are able to offer. I used to have the fibre offering from OmanTel and it was fairly good. The OmanTel in Qurum City Center was usually quite good for getting everything sorted. I don't think you need any other paperwork. You will just need to remember to pay the bill every month.

The other option is a 4G box from Ooredoo, although I remember this getting fairly expensive if you hit their data limit for the month. Again Ooredoo will show you a map and then tell you of the speed which they expect you to get in your location.

There were a couple of other options for internet, but I was always lead to believe that the infrastructure is all from OmanTel, so it was best to just use them as the provider anyway.
Old Apr 12th 2019, 10:54 am
Just Joined

That’s awesome, thank you will I be able to set up the account before my bank account is up and running?
Old Apr 12th 2019, 11:16 am
hnd
BE Forum Addict

hnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond repute

I don’t know whether you can set up the account without a local bank account but I can’t see why they wouldn’t accept any CC as payment. Once the account is set up you can simply pay your bills with a local bank CC using one of the many payment machines available in the malls. Ask the OmanTel (or other) staff - they’re generally helpful.

Things you should sort out before you leave UK include:

- load a vee pee enn onto to something - phone, laptop, tablet. We have this loaded on our phones, laptop and iPads
- load Skype (we have always needed a vee pee enn to be able to use Skype/Facetime etc. Nearly all VOIP calls are banned/disabled.)

Old Apr 12th 2019, 11:32 am
Just Joined

Great, thank you

yes, I got the software required already as had heard that - seems to be a gulf wide thing!