Reload this Page >

Senior Civil Engineer/Agent

Senior Civil Engineer/Agent

Old Apr 19th 2008, 4:34 pm
Just Joined

danjar is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Senior Civil Engineer/Agent

Hi guys, this certainly seems to be the place for good advice, so here goes:

My wife and I are hoping to move out and work in the Middle East towards the end of this year. She is an ICU nurse and I'm a Senior Engineer with experience in project management of schemes <£3m.
We fancy a change of lifestyle and want to also earn some good money,
where would you recommend? (considering salaries, cost of living, lifestyle)
Also what would be a typical package for either myself/my wife (salaries/benefits etc).
Many thanks

Dan
Old Apr 19th 2008, 4:56 pm
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Senior Civil Engineer/Agent

What's the Agent part? Don't expect to walk into a job over here. You are competing with other nationalities earning 50% or less than you, so be prepared to justify yourself.
Old Apr 19th 2008, 5:19 pm
Just Joined

I'm not expecting anything, just after a bit of advice/a few opinions .

"Agent" is a title used in the UK for project managers on Civil Engineering schemes, typically smaller scale projects. They manage a project from start to finish, ensure a scheme is completed on-time and on-budget, manage subcontractors, that sort of thing.

My initial post does seem a bit crude, money isn't the main reason we're considering moving to the middle east, we simply fancy a change and love travel.
Old Apr 19th 2008, 5:39 pm
Account Closed

scarletfan is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by danjar
I'm not expecting anything, just after a bit of advice/a few opinions .

"Agent" is a title used in the UK for project managers on Civil Engineering schemes, typically smaller scale projects. They manage a project from start to finish, ensure a scheme is completed on-time and on-budget, manage subcontractors, that sort of thing.

My initial post does seem a bit crude, money isn't the main reason we're considering moving to the middle east, we simply fancy a change and love travel.
The type of experience you have will dictate a suitable position out here. There are major UK companies over here who may be interested.
Old Apr 19th 2008, 5:48 pm
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by scarletfan
The type of experience you have will dictate a suitable position out here. There are major UK companies over here who may be interested.
Despite dealing with Senior Project Managers on a regular basis here, I have yet to come across anyone who is not Egyptian, Lebanese, Indian or Pakistani... but good luck to you.
Old Apr 20th 2008, 8:02 am
Here comes the Sun

twinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=danjar;6234013]I'm not expecting anything, just after a bit of advice/a few opinions .

"Agent" is a title used in the UK for project managers on Civil Engineering schemes, typically smaller scale projects. They manage a project from start to finish, ensure a scheme is completed on-time and on-budget,QUOTE

On time and on budget ...out here...Are you crazy...you will be when you finish!
Old Apr 20th 2008, 8:04 am
Here comes the Sun

twinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lionheart
Despite dealing with Senior Project Managers on a regular basis here, I have yet to come across anyone who is not Egyptian, Lebanese, Indian or Pakistani... but good luck to you.
Dont think My Hubby is??? At least not last time I looked??? He works for an English company ...
Perhaps you are looking in the wrong place....
Old Apr 20th 2008, 8:38 am
BE Forum Addict

admon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by twinkle-star
Dont think My Hubby is??? At least not last time I looked??? He works for an English company ...
Perhaps you are looking in the wrong place....
Lionheart has a habit of being the master of doom...

Although I am sure Lionheart would say I have a habit of being a bit of a ___

Oh look! Blankety Blank!!
Old Apr 20th 2008, 12:56 pm
Just Joined

Cheers guys, you're probably right, this may not be the right forum for this sort of thing. I just thought that there are (without a doubt) a lot of expats working in the middle east and I preferred to hear the opinions of people who live and work there rather than twoddle from an employment agency.

Thanks again