Reload this Page >

sending money to the UK now - UAE Exchange not working

sending money to the UK now - UAE Exchange not working

Old Apr 1st 2020, 6:58 pm
Just Joined

beety is an unknown quantity at this point
Default sending money to the UK now - UAE Exchange not working

Hi,
I'm looking to send money back to the UK from the UAE from my HSBC bank account. I set up an account with UAE Exchange hearing they had the best rate, but they seem to have stopped doing any transfers to the UK? (for no apparent reason?!).

I checked with Transferwise who I have used before but their rate seems high - 186 AED to send 5,000AED

That is less than what HSBC would charge 150AED for the transfer but then would there be a poor exchange rate?
Can anyone give me advice please.

Thanks

Last edited by beety; Apr 1st 2020 at 7:39 pm.
Old Apr 1st 2020, 8:39 pm
Forum Regular

FriendlyExpat is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: sending money to the UK now - UAE Exchange not working

Read this before doing anything with UAE Exchange:

https://www.zawya.com/mena/en/busine...0200331074248/

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...0-million-loan
Old Apr 2nd 2020, 4:35 am
BE Forum Addict

csdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond repute

Have you actually calculated the absolute savings (commission + FX rate) of using another exchange vs HSBC? The difference has always appeared so negligible to me that I've just used HSBC directly and avoided all the hassle of middleman transfers.
Old Apr 2nd 2020, 5:09 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by csdf
Have you actually calculated the absolute savings (commission + FX rate) of using another exchange vs HSBC? The difference has always appeared so negligible to me that I've just used HSBC directly and avoided all the hassle of middleman transfers.
Careful. Whilst you're correct, if you say this in the wrong arena and you'll be hung out to dry...
Old Apr 2nd 2020, 5:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

As much as I loved UAE exchange, it turned out to be another fraud run by Br Shetty. Central bank has all but closed it down.

Old Apr 2nd 2020, 7:59 am
Just Joined

beety is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes thanks, I think I'l just save myself the bother and use HSBC
Old Apr 2nd 2020, 10:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

I was always amused by how fixated some became on saving a few pence on bank transfers. And on the endless speculation in the staff canteen about the exchange rate.