Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Sending family home without employer finding out

Sending family home without employer finding out

Old May 18th 2015, 9:19 am
Forum Regular

Bungdit Din is on a distinguished road
Default Sending family home without employer finding out

My family will be leaving permanently in the summer and I will be joining them later, but I don't want my employer to find out that they've gone before I resign, which will not be until a couple of months later.

If I go through the standard procedure of cancelling their visas before they go, will my employer be notified? They're sponsored by me, of course, not my employer.

Or can they just leave, and then courier back their passports so that I can get them cancelled in my own time?
Old May 18th 2015, 11:25 am
womble

OriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sending family home without employer finding out

Which country?
Old May 18th 2015, 7:12 pm
Forum Regular

UK. Does it make a difference?
Old May 18th 2015, 9:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond repute

Uh, your family is leaving the UK?
Old May 20th 2015, 6:54 am
BE Forum Addict

mentalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OleJanx
Uh, your family is leaving the UK?
Bungdit, he meant which Middle East country. You can always cancel the family visas later, as they only need the passports not the people involved.
Old May 20th 2015, 2:35 pm
Token Scandinavian Bloke

norsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mentalist
Bungdit, he meant which Middle East country. You can always cancel the family visas later, as they only need the passports not the people involved.
Last time I checked visas are automatically cancelled if the person stays out of the country for more than 6 months. This applies to UAE anyway..
Old May 21st 2015, 9:44 am
BE Enthusiast

archie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by norsk
Last time I checked visas are automatically cancelled if the person stays out of the country for more than 6 months. This applies to UAE anyway..
I think it can cause complications in the UAE when cancelling the sponsor's visa if he still has dependants listed as being sponsored by him (ie if the family visas weren't formally cancelled). Anyway, the OP still hasn't bothered stating which country he is sending his family home from, so presumably has lost interest...
Old May 21st 2015, 10:39 am
Token Scandinavian Bloke

norsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by archie159
I think it can cause complications in the UAE when cancelling the sponsor's visa if he still has dependants listed as being sponsored by him (ie if the family visas weren't formally cancelled). Anyway, the OP still hasn't bothered stating which country he is sending his family home from, so presumably has lost interest...
Good point. So this would only work if he was following them more than 6 months later.
Old May 21st 2015, 11:17 am
BE Enthusiast

archie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to behold

Good point. So this would only work if he was following them more than 6 months later.
No, I wouldn't even do that. If you are out of the country for more than 6 months, your visa lapses. But it is not marked in the system as officially cancelled until the cancellation paperwork is done. So even if it was 8 months after they left, when the OP came to cancelling his visa they MIGHT (I don't know enough to be certain) ask "hey, where are the people you sponsored - their visas are showing as lapsed, not cancelled". I have no idea what then happens - it might be easily resolved, it might not, I just don't know and wouldn't want to find out the hard way.
Old May 21st 2015, 11:31 am
Token Scandinavian Bloke

No, I wouldn't even do that. If you are out of the country for more than 6 months, your visa lapses. But it is not marked in the system as officially cancelled until the cancellation paperwork is done. So even if it was 8 months after they left, when the OP came to cancelling his visa they MIGHT (I don't know enough to be certain) ask "hey, where are the people you sponsored - their visas are showing as lapsed, not cancelled". I have no idea what then happens - it might be easily resolved, it might not, I just don't know and wouldn't want to find out the hard way.
Even if this is the case (I have no idea either, but anything is possible), as the sponsor you will be able to act on their behalf. I doubt they need people to be in the country to cancel visas considering the cancellation itself is done on paper with a copy of the passport. The 'cancelled' stamp on the sticker is not actually anything other than a formality...

Regardless this seems a lot of trouble for nothing as someone mentioned already. He could just cancel their visas before they leave. His employer will be none the wiser..
Old May 21st 2015, 12:44 pm
womble

OriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond repute

You see, in Oman, you have to be physically present when you get the visas cancelled, with a great big stamp on top of the visa. If you don't you are an absconded and not allowed back in the country even on holiday for two years.
Different to UAE, Oman. Shucks.
Old May 22nd 2015, 8:41 pm
Forum Regular

Regardless this seems a lot of trouble for nothing as someone mentioned already. He could just cancel their visas before they leave. His employer will be none the wiser..
Great, thanks, that's all I needed to know.

Sorry about the misunderstanding earlier, it's easy to forget that not everybody here is in the UAE and that different rules apply in different countries.

Anybody know if it's a while-you-wait procedure just like renewing a family member visa? And do they get 30 days to leave the country once the visa's been cancelled?
Old May 22nd 2015, 8:44 pm
Forum Regular

Anyway, the OP still hasn't bothered stating which country he is sending his family home from, so presumably has lost interest...
Or maybe just got caught up in other things and this temporarily slipped his mind?
Old May 23rd 2015, 10:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Pongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond repute

I recently cancelled and left the country for a short time then returned for a new job.
The cancellation was straight forward and the whole process took 30 minutes for both visas to be cancelled, you return the Emirates ID at the same time. My wife wasn't present with me when I cancelled. You then have 30 days to depart. My wife had to hand over the paperwork at DXB when she left, I did not!
Old May 23rd 2015, 12:53 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.