British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Selling On Souq (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/selling-souq-923742/)

IKnowNothing Apr 1st 2019 6:58 am

Selling On Souq

So I have a new small business, and, as well as selling direct to larger customers I would like to make our products available in a B2C marketplace, yes you can buy them from our online store but we really don't have the breadth of "hits" to make any real difference.

So, what's the real costs of doing this? I've seen what it says on their website about their charges, but is this realistic? Are there hidden charges?

More importantly, in "fulfilled by Souq", how quick do you actually get paid? As it seems to me, you send a shed load of stock to a Souq warehouse (or get them to pick it from you), then they charge for delivery and handling (fair enough), and then pay you.

The goods aren't expensive or particularly bulky - I expect average orders to be around AED100.

So how does it actually work in the real world.

Anyone?

scrubbedexpat141 Apr 2nd 2019 5:13 am

Re: Selling On Souq

Originally Posted by IKnowNothing (Post 12664056)
So I have a new small business, and, as well as selling direct to larger customers I would like to make our products available in a B2C marketplace, yes you can buy them from our online store but we really don't have the breadth of "hits" to make any real difference.

So, what's the real costs of doing this? I've seen what it says on their website about their charges, but is this realistic? Are there hidden charges?

More importantly, in "fulfilled by Souq", how quick do you actually get paid? As it seems to me, you send a shed load of stock to a Souq warehouse (or get them to pick it from you), then they charge for delivery and handling (fair enough), and then pay you.

The goods aren't expensive or particularly bulky - I expect average orders to be around AED100.

So how does it actually work in the real world.

Anyone?

What you selling?

weasel decentral Apr 2nd 2019 10:57 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12664581)
What you selling?

My guess is tinfoil hats.

scrubbedexpat141 Apr 2nd 2019 11:25 am

Originally Posted by weasel decentral (Post 12664682)

I didn't want to ask and guess, but that was my assumption.

I bet they're well folded.

Millhouse Apr 2nd 2019 12:05 pm

Originally Posted by weasel decentral (Post 12664682)

Don't be silly. It's little covers for the camera on your phone/webcam.

scrubbedexpat141 Apr 3rd 2019 5:20 am

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 12664703)
Don't be silly. It's little covers for the camera on your phone/webcam.

I laughed at a colleague yesterday because he told me he couldn't tell me about the new project we've been asked to bid for because he'd signed an NDA. I asked what sort of project it was and he said he couldn't tell me but he needed people with super high end / luxury residential / hotel experience and anyone who had worked on a palace before. I guessed it was a palace and he was genuinely surprised that I'd managed to put 2 and 2 together to get 4 not 832.

He has a sticker over his webcam on his laptop. I think it's an indicator.

IKnowNothing Apr 3rd 2019 7:57 am

Yeah, yeah, whatever...

Eco-friendly, biodegradable, home (not industrial as it's not here) compostable products that you can use instead of plastic.

All very ethical.

Example, you know that pizza box you get? It goes into landfill, you know why? Because with all the grease that soaks into it means it can't be recycled, we provide a product that eliminates that and ensures your pizza (or chips/fries etc) arrives crispier and not soggy too.

Another example, the straws/stirrers etc in your Dry Martinis (LOL), they're usually single use plastic or paper that goes soggy - we have a solution for that too.

scrubbedexpat141 Apr 3rd 2019 7:59 am

Originally Posted by IKnowNothing (Post 12665239)
Yeah, yeah, whatever...

Eco-friendly, biodegradable, home (not industrial as it's not here) compostable products that you can use instead of plastic.

All very ethical.

Example, you know that pizza box you get? It goes into landfill, you know why? Because with all the grease that soaks into it means it can't be recycled, we provide a product that eliminates that and ensures your pizza (or chips/fries etc) arrives crispier and not soggy too.

Another example, the straws/stirrers etc in your Dry Martinis (LOL), they're usually single use plastic or paper that goes soggy - we have a solution for that too.

Very cool. Good work mate.

The paper / card straws are a total shit show.
A friend turned up with her own metal straw which was very cool but I reckon she'll go through plenty of them.
The ones that look, feel and act like plastic but say they aren't plastic on the side - is that the sort of thing?

Millhouse Apr 3rd 2019 8:00 am

Originally Posted by IKnowNothing (Post 12665239)
Yeah, yeah, whatever...

All very ethical.

bamboo straws and greaseproof paper?

Well done - it's not easy doing business and I respect anyone who tries.

Millhouse Apr 3rd 2019 8:02 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12665206)
I laughed at a colleague yesterday because he told me he couldn't tell me about the new project we've been asked to bid for because he'd signed an NDA. I asked what sort of project it was and he said he couldn't tell me but he needed people with super high end / luxury residential / hotel experience and anyone who had worked on a palace before. I guessed it was a palace and he was genuinely surprised that I'd managed to put 2 and 2 together to get 4 not 832.

He has a sticker over his webcam on his laptop. I think it's an indicator.

I work with someone like that. Can't share information with me despite me being bound by the same ****ing NDA and probably going to actually fund more of the deal than he is. twat.

IKnowNothing Apr 3rd 2019 8:12 am

Not entirely - we have other options too, and as I get constantly slagged off on here I'm not going to mention the company.

However this is one of our suppliers

Suffice to say we have a couple of the big hotel groups and a first pizza takeaway company on board (and we get paid).

So we're OK on B2B, but there is still a huge B2C opportunity out there and trying to get the product into Spinneys for example is a pain.

So, how about Souq? are they as much of a pain to work with as they are to register with - or worse.

scrubbedexpat141 Apr 3rd 2019 9:38 am

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 12665244)
I work with someone like that. Can't share information with me despite me being bound by the same ****ing NDA and probably going to actually fund more of the deal than he is. twat.

This dickwad also whispers in our office, with the door shut and nobody outside remotely interested. It's ****ing pathetic.

Originally Posted by IKnowNothing (Post 12665250)
Not entirely - we have other options too, and as I get constantly slagged off on here I'm not going to mention the company.

However this is one of our suppliers

Suffice to say we have a couple of the big hotel groups and a first pizza takeaway company on board (and we get paid).

So we're OK on B2B, but there is still a huge B2C opportunity out there and trying to get the product into Spinneys for example is a pain.

So, how about Souq? are they as much of a pain to work with as they are to register with - or worse.

You deserve it though, so don't whine.

In Spinneys / Waitrose is a great idea.

Souq - I was under the impression any moron could sell for them? I only buy if fulfilled by Souq because the rest of the sellers on there, generally, can't be trusted at all.
Can you get your items fulfilled by Souq as you mentioned before? That would be everything in my mind.

There's definitely a market for this stuff though. Try facebook advertising if you ever want to sell directly - seems to really work.