Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Selling my car in Abu Dhabi - Help!

Selling my car in Abu Dhabi - Help!

Old Dec 1st 2009, 12:06 pm
Just Joined

Hanousha is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Selling my car in Abu Dhabi - Help!

Originally Posted by Twix
We shipped a car from AD to the UK and I know that if you owned your car for more than 6 months, you don't need to pay any tax. Shipping costs weren't bad, but we were hit with extra costs of swapping rear fog light with reverse light, buying new head lights because the original ones weren't adjustable for the right hand driving and buying a new speedometer because the original showed only in km. Insurance wasn't affected by the left hand drive, in fact they didn't even ask about that despite me emphasising this fact. The other thing is once you registered the car in the UK, you will not be able to sell it for one year. DVLA issued us two V5 documents, first when we first registered (with restrictions) and another one - a year later. We intended to keep the car, so that wasn't a problem.
The company which shipped the car advised on all the documents needed.
Hope this helps
T
Thanks T that's really helpful, would you mind giving me the contact details of the shipping company you used for shipping your car back to the UK I have had the car for a year now so that's ok and i would like to use it back in the UK so a year is not a problem for me.

H
Old Dec 1st 2009, 2:59 pm
Just Joined

Twix will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Hanousha
Thanks T that's really helpful, would you mind giving me the contact details of the shipping company you used for shipping your car back to the UK I have had the car for a year now so that's ok and i would like to use it back in the UK so a year is not a problem for me.

H
The company we used was Kuehne Nagel and the guy we dealt with was called Andy. I don't know if he's still there because it was in 2006. You could google their contact number in AD. Shop around for shipping costs though as theirs may not be the most competitive quote anymore as it was 3 years ago.
Old Dec 1st 2009, 9:20 pm
Just Joined

Hanousha is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Twix
The company we used was Kuehne Nagel and the guy we dealt with was called Andy. I don't know if he's still there because it was in 2006. You could google their contact number in AD. Shop around for shipping costs though as theirs may not be the most competitive quote anymore as it was 3 years ago.
Thanks T!
Old Dec 2nd 2009, 3:58 am
Just Joined

Thanks T!
You are welcome and hope the move goes o.k.
Old Dec 7th 2009, 6:02 pm
Banned

blinger is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah it's a Ghia, but i think that people are right, from what i have been hearing from people over the past few days it seems like i wont get more than 50,000 AED for it! I'm going to see how much i could get for it in the UK and see if it is worth shipping back
If you still want to offload your motor, I will give you 35K cash in hand.

let me know
Old Dec 8th 2009, 3:10 am
BE Forum Addict

flares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah I know but it is a beautiful car and drives amazingly, I have actually had BMWs in the past but this car drove just as well if not better!
very good cars Mondeos

doesn't 'Gulf Spec' mean that car may not be accepted in certain countries without conversion due to slightly different set up - bigger radiators/AC/greater emissions?

Sales girl at Volvo told me that their cars are exactly same so no conversion required to ship back to Europe - not sure about how true this is.
Old Dec 8th 2009, 3:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by saudiflares
very good cars Mondeos

doesn't 'Gulf Spec' mean that car may not be accepted in certain countries without conversion due to slightly different set up - bigger radiators/AC/greater emissions?

Sales girl at Volvo told me that their cars are exactly same so no conversion required to ship back to Europe - not sure about how true this is.
Probably untrue. I understand that you need to convert to go from Europe to the UK.
Old Dec 8th 2009, 4:02 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by saudiflares
very good cars Mondeos

Actually, "Gulf spec" means that the car comes without indicators .
But, yes, I forgot about that, our car was o.k. and didn't need to have that done, so I don't know how much the conversion might cost.
Old Dec 8th 2009, 4:49 am
If I have to explain...

Roadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EmiratesMillhouse
Probably untrue. I understand that you need to convert to go from Europe to the UK.
Only need to convert the headlights on a Volvo for Europe/UK, or anywhere else, and that's an easy fix. Saying that, unless the car is very unique, I can't see the sense in importing a left hooker into the UK. It has very little resale value as the trade kick them very hard. Sell what you have here and buy when you get to the UK.
Old Dec 8th 2009, 5:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Roadking
Only need to convert the headlights on a Volvo for Europe/UK, or anywhere else, and that's an easy fix. Saying that, unless the car is very unique, I can't see the sense in importing a left hooker into the UK. It has very little resale value as the trade kick them very hard. Sell what you have here and buy when you get to the UK.
what about the speedo and fog lights?