Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Selling my car in Abu Dhabi - Help!

Selling my car in Abu Dhabi - Help!

Old Nov 30th 2009, 10:37 am
Just Joined

Hanousha is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Selling my car in Abu Dhabi - Help!

Hi there, I'm trying to sell my car and leave for the UK as soon as possible, as my father has just died and I need to return to be with family.

Can someone advise on how I can get my car sold at a reasonable rate, i have advertised in the papers, supermarkets, spoken to Al futtaim and Al Tayer in Abu Dhabi and Dubai.

I may also consider shipping it back to the UK if the costs wont be too high. But where can i get a fully comprehensive list of what i need to do to get that done?

I have a 2008 black Ford Mondeo Ghia model. Only 15,500 KM on the clock, the car has full options for that model too. I want to sell it for 70,000

Any help would be great!
Old Nov 30th 2009, 11:36 am
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Selling my car in Abu Dhabi - Help!

sorry to hear about your dad.

unfortunately its not a good time for selling cars.
is 70K not a bit steep for a mondeo?
Old Nov 30th 2009, 11:52 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by commander
sorry to hear about your dad.

unfortunately its not a good time for selling cars.
is 70K not a bit steep for a mondeo?
Thanks. I can be flexible on the price i just thought if i can start there it was a good starting price to negotiate on. I bought it for 95,000 only a year ago.
Old Nov 30th 2009, 12:04 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hanousha
Thanks. I can be flexible on the price i just thought if i can start there it was a good starting price to negotiate on. I bought it for 95,000 only a year ago.
sorry for your loss

95k for a Mondeo!! that seems alot
Old Nov 30th 2009, 12:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

shakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond repute

Condolences for your loss. On Airport road (2nd Street) there is a long stretch of used car dealers on either side of the road. You can shop around to get the best price from these guys - they will drive you down to the traffic dept and sort out the paperwork, and pay you cash. I sold my car within the space of a few hours....
Old Nov 30th 2009, 12:25 pm
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

no idea about Abu Dhabi but there was a short article on TV recently about an organisation in Dubai called Pioneer Auctions where they sell cars once a week by auction.
Old Nov 30th 2009, 12:40 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by lionheart
no idea about Abu Dhabi but there was a short article on TV recently about an organisation in Dubai called Pioneer Auctions where they sell cars once a week by auction.
Ok thanks for that I will try to find info about it.
Old Nov 30th 2009, 12:56 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
sorry for your loss

95k for a Mondeo!! that seems alot
Yeah I know but it is a beautiful car and drives amazingly, I have actually had BMWs in the past but this car drove just as well if not better!
Old Nov 30th 2009, 12:57 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by shakh your bootie
Condolences for your loss. On Airport road (2nd Street) there is a long stretch of used car dealers on either side of the road. You can shop around to get the best price from these guys - they will drive you down to the traffic dept and sort out the paperwork, and pay you cash. I sold my car within the space of a few hours....
Ahh ok i'm going to check that out today then! Thanks for the info about Airport road
Old Nov 30th 2009, 2:13 pm
Account Closed

Ethos83 is an unknown quantity at this point

You paid through the nose for that car. Should have bought a Pajero for the same price.

Far easier to off-load.

Be prepared to take a substantial hit. I'd be surprised if you even get an offer of 50K.
Old Nov 30th 2009, 5:45 pm
Forum Regular

crw1979 is an unknown quantity at this point

Sadly I suspect its value in today's market is around 40-45k.
Old Nov 30th 2009, 5:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by crw1979
Sadly I suspect its value in today's market is around 40-45k.
come on, it's a Ghia model, full option no doubt
Old Nov 30th 2009, 7:50 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by EmiratesMillhouse
come on, it's a Ghia model, full option no doubt
Yeah it's a Ghia, but i think that people are right, from what i have been hearing from people over the past few days it seems like i wont get more than 50,000 AED for it! I'm going to see how much i could get for it in the UK and see if it is worth shipping back
Old Dec 1st 2009, 3:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah it's a Ghia, but i think that people are right, from what i have been hearing from people over the past few days it seems like i wont get more than 50,000 AED for it! I'm going to see how much i could get for it in the UK and see if it is worth shipping back
Yup, sadly it is a Ford, they don't hold their value here...

remember it's left hand drive, so won't be that popular at home either, and you may be liable for the tax on it as you haven't had it very long.
Old Dec 1st 2009, 11:25 am
Just Joined

Twix will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by EmiratesMillhouse
Yup, sadly it is a Ford, they don't hold their value here...

remember it's left hand drive, so won't be that popular at home either, and you may be liable for the tax on it as you haven't had it very long.
We shipped a car from AD to the UK and I know that if you owned your car for more than 6 months, you don't need to pay any tax. Shipping costs weren't bad, but we were hit with extra costs of swapping rear fog light with reverse light, buying new head lights because the original ones weren't adjustable for the right hand driving and buying a new speedometer because the original showed only in km. Insurance wasn't affected by the left hand drive, in fact they didn't even ask about that despite me emphasising this fact. The other thing is once you registered the car in the UK, you will not be able to sell it for one year. DVLA issued us two V5 documents, first when we first registered (with restrictions) and another one - a year later. We intended to keep the car, so that wasn't a problem.
The company which shipped the car advised on all the documents needed.
Hope this helps
T

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.