Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Selling and buying house in UK whilst overseas - anybody done this?

Selling and buying house in UK whilst overseas - anybody done this?

Old Jul 4th 2013, 8:46 am
Confirmed grumpy old man

Victor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond repute
Default Selling and buying house in UK whilst overseas - anybody done this?

We work in Dubai and have decided to sell our house in the North West of England and move house to the Midlands.

I had ours valued yesterday and will be going to Birmingham over the next week or so to view potential properties (so not only a change of house but also location).

If we sell ours before we find somewhere in Birmingham, then we plan to put our furniture into storage.

We are in UK for Summer (July and August) but due to our jobs will not be able to visit UK again until Christmas.

So, potentially will have to do a lot of this whilst we are in Dubai and not in UK.

Has anybody else done anything similar and have any advice about potential pitfalls, problems or generally things to look out for.

Thanks, and if you want to throw in any Birmingham jokes for good measure, that's fine too
Old Jul 6th 2013, 3:12 am
BE Forum Addict

hoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Selling and buying house in UK whilst overseas - anybody done this?

Originally Posted by Victor Meldrew
We work in Dubai and have decided to sell our house in the North West of England and move house to the Midlands.

I had ours valued yesterday and will be going to Birmingham over the next week or so to view potential properties (so not only a change of house but also location).

If we sell ours before we find somewhere in Birmingham, then we plan to put our furniture into storage.

We are in UK for Summer (July and August) but due to our jobs will not be able to visit UK again until Christmas.

So, potentially will have to do a lot of this whilst we are in Dubai and not in UK.

Has anybody else done anything similar and have any advice about potential pitfalls, problems or generally things to look out for.

Thanks, and if you want to throw in any Birmingham jokes for good measure, that's fine too
Not a problem, just find a decent solicitor in the UK to handle the paperwork. All the documents can be fedexed out to you for signature.
Old Jul 6th 2013, 7:33 pm
UK

RJB123 is an unknown quantity at this point

I gave my sister power of attorney so that she was able to sign all documents on my behalf.
Old Jul 10th 2013, 1:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond repute

I did it when we moved to Bahrain 2nd time around. Signed all the paperwork at the solicitors and then waited for the cheque. It was actually far easier than doing it in the UK and no more expensive