Reload this Page >

Secondary Schools in Bahrain

Secondary Schools in Bahrain

Old Sep 10th 2011, 7:58 am
Forum Regular

scottrace is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Secondary Schools in Bahrain

Hi

We are at our wits end and looking for some hints/tips if anyone has any.

We are having problems getting our son who has just started Year 10 into a school in Bahrain that does GCSE's - keep hitting a barrier where they say either there are no spaces or they cant/wont take him because he has already started Year 10.

We are due to be in Bahrain by early November so its literally 6 weeks (and he is obviously in Year 10 here). We are also being told that he needs to be in country to undertake his entrance exam and then they will tell us if he has a space or not.

This seems crazy as I cannot imagine anyone taking their child out of school in the UK, moving everyone out to Bahrain and then risking there being no place in Bahrain.

Has anyone else had a similar experience? Is there a rule that they have to be educated so if we turn up they must find them a space somewhere? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in anticipation
Old Sep 10th 2011, 10:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Tockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Secondary Schools in Bahrain

Seems perfectly normal for Bahrain to be honest

Arrive, take test, and away you go.

It will help if you are on British passports

Both decent schools are lighter than last year due to the leavers not being replaced by new arrivals due to the troubles so relax.
Old Sep 10th 2011, 11:46 am
Forum Regular

markinbahrain is just really nicemarkinbahrain is just really nicemarkinbahrain is just really nicemarkinbahrain is just really nicemarkinbahrain is just really nicemarkinbahrain is just really nicemarkinbahrain is just really nicemarkinbahrain is just really nicemarkinbahrain is just really nicemarkinbahrain is just really nice

I have to agree, it is the way it is out here.

However their are places available have you spoke to Jo Atkinson (Senior School Admissions) Tel: +973 17 598 500 at St Christophers as she may well be able to put your mind at rest.

Good luck
Old Sep 10th 2011, 12:16 pm
Forum Regular

Hi

thanks Tockalosh and Mark as always.

We have spoken to both "British" schools and they seem to be saying there are no spaces. Its not me whose been to visit them as we are still stuck here but the way OH was describing the meetings I was wondering if they were saying without saying (if you know what I mean) just turn up and we will sort you out.

OH was in Bahrain for the weekend and will be pm'ing you about compounds as he has been given some to look at next weekend - if thats ok.

Thanks again
Old Sep 11th 2011, 8:12 pm
Just Joined

Doodi is an unknown quantity at this point

I am surprised they aren't giving you some indication this close to school start. We were initially given this treatment but later offered places at both schools, albeit we were applying for the junior school. Both schools demand that the first term fees are paid well in advance; so ought to have some idea. Incidentally, we were given the option of sitting the tests in the UK for some additional admin fee. Worth a phone call in a few days.
Old Sep 12th 2011, 6:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Tockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond repute

I think year 10 may be a problem. Spoke with our new starter yesterday evening and he could not get his kid into year 10 at either Brit school or St Chris's.
He has had to enrol them on US Curric at Riffa.

Hugely surprising but I believe that the schools cancelled the number of classes due to the lack of kids on the island and thats where the problem lies.

This could be a nightmare for many new arrivals if you have kids in that age group
Old Sep 12th 2011, 11:34 am
Forum Regular

That is not good news at all!

I really dont want him to sit the US exams as I imagine that will affect his A levels/ University and what he has studied so far may be irrelevant.

I could understand them cancelling classes if they were state funded but they are hardly a cheap option!

Will keep you updated on what happens after the meeting scheduled with Head of Year - I really dont fancy home schooling a 15 year old boy
Old Sep 12th 2011, 7:15 pm
Forum Regular

Hi tockalosh

Would you mind finding out which school it was in Riffa - there seems to be more than one

Thanks
Old Sep 13th 2011, 5:28 pm
need a new teeshirt

heartofdarkness is a jewel in the roughheartofdarkness is a jewel in the roughheartofdarkness is a jewel in the roughheartofdarkness is a jewel in the rough

Think Tock is speaking of Riffa Views International School. I think they only go up to grade 10 U.S. Not sure how that compares to British system. There is also the Bahrain School in Juffair which is run by U.S. Department Of Defense. Runs through grade 12 and has IB program. Don't think you would have a problem getting in Bahrain School but they do tear your eyes out in terms of fees. Crown Prince graduated there and is basically a school for rich Arabs and military families who go free.I'm American, non military,my kids have been there 3years and love it.My son's two best friends at school are Brits. But I think the quality of education is probably not as good as St. Chris. But Kids do move back and forth all the time.

Last edited by heartofdarkness; Sep 13th 2011 at 5:47 pm.
Old Sep 14th 2011, 8:56 am
Forum Regular

Thanks

I have looked at the Bahrain School but the price is restrictive when there is no prospect of support from OH's company.

Is beginning to look like the Bahrain journey is over for now - who would have thought it would be so difficult to get a 14 year old into school
Old Sep 14th 2011, 11:24 am
Forum Regular

markinbahrain is just really nicemarkinbahrain is just really nicemarkinbahrain is just really nicemarkinbahrain is just really nicemarkinbahrain is just really nicemarkinbahrain is just really nicemarkinbahrain is just really nicemarkinbahrain is just really nicemarkinbahrain is just really nicemarkinbahrain is just really nice

Originally Posted by scottrace
Thanks

I have looked at the Bahrain School but the price is restrictive when there is no prospect of support from OH's company.

Is beginning to look like the Bahrain journey is over for now - who would have thought it would be so difficult to get a 14 year old into school
Hi Scottrace, this is Bahrain.......everything is bloody difficult!! It is very stressful as if the kids are happy, you will be happy.

So I have done some digging for you this morning, The British School HAVE GOT LIMITED PLACES AVAILABLE for year 10
this is confirmed with Geraldine in admissions.
If you call Geraldine in admissions she will go through the process with you.
Your son would have to start straight after half term which is when you fly over anyway, and your son can take the admission test overseas for an extra 20BD which is what you wanted.

She has said that the 5 compulsory GCSE options are available with places, and have limited places for your sons other choices, whichever they maybe.

She is happy to email over to you the other choices that are available for his GCSE's, as at this school the other options are in blocks set out in 4 subjects per block.

She said all that she would require is the usual school report / x2 passport photos / vaccination records, and you dont need to bother with a transfer certificate from his previous school.
Scottrace, its a good school.

Tell us how you get on and give her a call.
Old Sep 14th 2011, 11:40 am
Forum Regular

Thank you Mark.

My OH was in that very school last week and he was told they were completely full!!! You must have better influence than him. He really liked the school and was gutted when she said that.

Am trying to get hold of him right now so he can speak to her.

Thanks again for your help - half term was exactly when we wanted to come
Old Sep 15th 2011, 8:16 am
Forum Regular

Well their is my good deed done for the week!!
Old Sep 15th 2011, 9:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Job well done Mark
Old Sep 18th 2011, 7:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Ronnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tockalosh
Job well done Mark
That's it Mark, we're sending you on "Hearts of Gold"