British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Schools near Arabian Ranches (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/schools-near-arabian-ranches-542192/)

TBird Jun 10th 2008 6:41 am

Schools near Arabian Ranches

Hi Please can someone tell me the names of schools near to the Arabian Ranches, I have got the Jess school from the wiki...Is Jebel Ali Primary School near there and is that a good school....Thanks In advance

TBird Jun 10th 2008 7:11 am

Re: Schools near Arabian Ranches

...also any feed back on the wellington schools or gems schools which I found on google? Thanks

MataHari Jun 10th 2008 7:15 am

oh I am racking my brains (yeah)...there is a new school opening in September near AR, doing the IB curriculum...you can see it from Al Khail, when the roads are finished it would take about 10 mins from AR to the school...it's got blue on the outside...(completely useless info I know)..

MataHari Jun 10th 2008 7:16 am

http://www.gemsworldacademy-dubai.com/

that's the one...

TBird Jun 10th 2008 7:22 am

oh thank you. Do you know anything about these schools, tried calling Jess but they are ful full full.....We are living or really just arrived in AD and have not been able to find accommodation and are thinking of moving to dubai... and my husband commute to work near Al Raha...I know its crazy but there is such a shortage of accommodation in AD.

MataHari Jun 10th 2008 7:27 am

Originally Posted by TBird (Post 6452272)
oh thank you. Do you know anything about these schools, tried calling Jess but they are ful full full.....We are living or really just arrived in AD and have not been able to find accommodation and are thinking of moving to dubai... and my husband commute to work near Al Raha...I know its crazy but there is such a shortage of accommodation in AD.

only thing I know is that it's not open yet....so you might have a good chance of getting in...girlfriend of mine has moved to AR and her 2 kids will be going there in September and she hadn't filled in the forms last week but wasn't bothered about getting them in obviously...
Apparently the facilities are amazing (but then they mostely are out here anyway, every new school seems to want to be outdoing the other ones).
I have one child in an IB school and I love their way of teaching, it's very creative and individual, at least in the KG...not experienced the other grades yet.

Madam Medusa Jun 10th 2008 7:31 am

what about repton, that's silicon oasis way i think, so not too far from AR...

MM, xx

TBird Jun 10th 2008 8:03 am

thank you will try that too....

Blue Cat Jun 10th 2008 9:54 am

commuting to AD might be a bit of a mare for your hubby! it was in the paper this morning that Gems World is opening next week.

Fairydust Jun 10th 2008 3:54 pm

Didn't I read somewhere it is going to be 99,000 dhs pa :eek:

familyoftravelers Oct 7th 2008 5:12 am

Originally Posted by TBird (Post 6452373)
thank you will try that too....

Hi there TBird. We also live in Abu Dhabi and looks like we may be moving to Dubai. How did you go with the schools? Many thanks

Kim67 Oct 9th 2008 6:27 am

The World Academy opened in September, but not all facilities are finished (most in fact). But the school lobby has beautiful lighting and looks like a five star hotel, and the planetarium is up and running (most important feature of the school). Fees are twice as expensive as anywhere else. I didn't like it, it didn't feel like a school at all. We tried Jess in AR and they're full and only taking debentured kids for their wait list. Our kids are at Raffles (which is having some problems at the moment, but I'm sure they'll blow over soon). It takes about 25 minutes to drive there from Arabian Ranches (straight down Umm Suqeium Road. But it's still a pain getting back with traffic sometimes, the round trip can take up to 90 minutes, twice a day. We're moving to Al Barsha in the couple of weeks anyway to be closer.

Take a look at World Academy though, because they do have places and it is close to the Ranches, it just wasn't for us. The Starr School in Umm Suqeim is another new school still advertising places available and I think GEMS Royal Dubai may still have some.

familyoftravelers Oct 9th 2008 7:56 am

Originally Posted by Kim67 (Post 6858554)
The World Academy opened in September, but not all facilities are finished (most in fact). But the school lobby has beautiful lighting and looks like a five star hotel, and the planetarium is up and running (most important feature of the school). Fees are twice as expensive as anywhere else. I didn't like it, it didn't feel like a school at all. We tried Jess in AR and they're full and only taking debentured kids for their wait list. Our kids are at Raffles (which is having some problems at the moment, but I'm sure they'll blow over soon). It takes about 25 minutes to drive there from Arabian Ranches (straight down Umm Suqeium Road. But it's still a pain getting back with traffic sometimes, the round trip can take up to 90 minutes, twice a day. We're moving to Al Barsha in the couple of weeks anyway to be closer.

Take a look at World Academy though, because they do have places and it is close to the Ranches, it just wasn't for us. The Starr School in Umm Suqeim is another new school still advertising places available and I think GEMS Royal Dubai may still have some.

Thanks Kim 67. I have lived in AUH for 7 years but do not know Dubai very well. It is the traffice that is putting me off living there!! Maybe I will look at al Barsha too

Kim67 Oct 9th 2008 2:14 pm

Originally Posted by familyoftravelers (Post 6858733)
Thanks Kim 67. I have lived in AUH for 7 years but do not know Dubai very well. It is the traffice that is putting me off living there!! Maybe I will look at al Barsha too

No worries.

I've only been here five weeks and the traffic does get to me on some days. But now I'm starting to know my way around a bit more, I'm not following my satnav's directions as much and avoiding some of the traffic.

Al Barsha seems nice and central and there seem to be quite a few new apartments and compounds villas for rent so you should be able to find something quite easily.