Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Schools for my 2 daughters in Abu Dhabi.

Schools for my 2 daughters in Abu Dhabi.

Old Jun 13th 2010, 4:35 pm
Just Joined

gap1730 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Schools for my 2 daughters in Abu Dhabi.

I have been offered a position in Abu Dhabi which would require a full family move from the UK, however we are struggling to find a school that is affordable and has a decent reputation. We have been offered AED20k per child per year which i know won't cover the full cost. I have been told about the Cambridge High School and the web site looks great but I can not find any recent feedback about the standards or academic results. My daughters are just about to go into years 7 and 10. Any comments or help would be thankfully received.
Old Oct 16th 2010, 7:09 pm
Just Joined

bs69 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Schools for my 2 daughters in Abu Dhabi.

hi there, did you get the places in school for your daughters? i have kids who will be joing year 10 and year 7 next year. which school did you manage to kid the kids in? The yasmina and BSAK reputataion is good.
Old Oct 27th 2010, 9:06 pm
Just Joined

sunsolaris is an unknown quantity at this point

I visited while I was in AD last week, Al Raha , Canadian International, Yasmina etc and none of these schools have any spot open for my kids...I have 4 boys ages 16,12,8 and 7 ...Any advice?
Old Oct 28th 2010, 5:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sunsolaris
I visited while I was in AD last week, Al Raha , Canadian International, Yasmina etc and none of these schools have any spot open for my kids...I have 4 boys ages 16,12,8 and 7 ...Any advice?
u r going to struggle. next year there will be a couple of new schs, brighton college but dont know what years they intend to open with and a new aldar school called al bateen, but that is only senior sch and will be for years 7 to 9. you will have to do what everyone else does, either put them in a school that isnt your first choice and WAIT, or again what people do is wait in the uk until they are offered a place, some people have had to wait for 1.5 years to get into a school. have you tried BISAD? they may be your best bet but not for the oldest one. also people put them in boarding schs in uk.
Old Oct 28th 2010, 5:50 am
BE Forum Addict

flares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by busybee2
u r going to struggle. next year there will be a couple of new schs, brighton college but dont know what years they intend to open with and a new aldar school called al bateen, but that is only senior sch and will be for years 7 to 9. you will have to do what everyone else does, either put them in a school that isnt your first choice and WAIT, or again what people do is wait in the uk until they are offered a place, some people have had to wait for 1.5 years to get into a school. have you tried BISAD? they may be your best bet but not for the oldest one. also people put them in boarding schs in uk.
Brighton College is opening its first campus outside of Brighton, UK in Abu Dhabi in September 2011 and is holding a Launch Event and Q & A session at Fairmont Bab Al Bahr on 4 November 2010...

On November 4th we would like to introduce
Brighton College Abu Dhabi
The chairman of Brighton College’s board of governors, Lord Skidelsky,
and headmaster Brendan Law, will conduct a Q & A session with parents.
Brighton College Abu Dhabi will admit pupils from Nursery (3+) to Year 9 (14+)
from September 2011.
Year 10 to Year 13 (15+) will be admitted in subsequent years.
To reserve, please call 02 446 3444
www.brightoncollegeabudhabi.net
Venue: Fairmont Bab Al Bahr
Time: November 4th, 7pm

"A role model for 21st century Britain" – CNN
"One of England’s leading schools" – The Times
"The best A-level grades of any co-educational school in England" – The Daily Telegraph
"Brighton is a bloody great place I should know I was born and bred there...didn't go to Brighton College though, scumbag comp for me" - Saudiflares, Britishexpats.com
Old Oct 28th 2010, 6:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by saudiflares
Brighton College is opening its first campus outside of Brighton, UK in Abu Dhabi in September 2011 and is holding a Launch Event and Q & A session at Fairmont Bab Al Bahr on 4 November 2010...

On November 4th we would like to introduce
Brighton College Abu Dhabi
The chairman of Brighton College’s board of governors, Lord Skidelsky,
and headmaster Brendan Law, will conduct a Q & A session with parents.
Brighton College Abu Dhabi will admit pupils from Nursery (3+) to Year 9 (14+)
from September 2011.
Year 10 to Year 13 (15+) will be admitted in subsequent years.
To reserve, please call 02 446 3444
www.brightoncollegeabudhabi.net
Venue: Fairmont Bab Al Bahr
Time: November 4th, 7pm

"A role model for 21st century Britain" – CNN
"One of England’s leading schools" – The Times
"The best A-level grades of any co-educational school in England" – The Daily Telegraph
"Brighton is a bloody great place I should know I was born and bred there...didn't go to Brighton College though, scumbag comp for me" - Saudiflares, Britishexpats.com
yeh it seems the trend that all schs only go up to year 9 to start, yasmina did it was going to be only up to year 8 but added year 9, the thing is tho that if there is a lot of people applying for a certain year, then the schools may decide to add one class of that year, if there is less for another year they may decided to take away one year and use that teacher elsewhere, so its best to apply and ask them what they can do.

but also remember that even if they have a good name, they are only that in name, in a lot of cases, such as repton and shrewsbury school elsewhere. etc