Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Schools in Dubai...what if your child is just average?

Schools in Dubai...what if your child is just average?

Old Oct 13th 2008, 9:39 pm
Forum Regular

imanaussie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Schools in Dubai...what if your child is just average?

We are considering moving to Dubai with our kids aged 13 & 15. My 15yo has struggled at school for the last couple of months due to anxiety issues. She is currently seeking help with this and we hope that soon she will be attending school all day every day. What impact would this have when applying to schools in Dubai? Would they not accept her because she has not been attending school regularly of late? This will be prove to be a huge stumbling block for us if the schools only accept your average every day student.

Any advice regarding this would be much appreciated. And what secondary schools might be more understanding of this than others?
Old Oct 13th 2008, 10:52 pm
If I have to explain...

Roadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Schools in Dubai...what if your child is just average?

Originally Posted by imanaussie
We are considering moving to Dubai with our kids aged 13 & 15. My 15yo has struggled at school for the last couple of months due to anxiety issues. She is currently seeking help with this and we hope that soon she will be attending school all day every day. What impact would this have when applying to schools in Dubai? Would they not accept her because she has not been attending school regularly of late? This will be prove to be a huge stumbling block for us if the schools only accept your average every day student.

Any advice regarding this would be much appreciated. And what secondary schools might be more understanding of this than others?
Was gonna post my usual sarcasm, but... no no this time. Schools here can be a bitch, sorry to say so but scores above all else. In defence, my daughter fits right in. But then that could be me...
Old Oct 13th 2008, 11:18 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for the reply........but surely not EVERYONE has children with wonderful school reports and good scores. There are plenty of kids with below average marks and so so school reports. Because of this the schools just dont take them?????...........geez!! Makes it hard for the rest of us with children that arent wonderful performers in the school arena!
Old Oct 14th 2008, 4:00 am
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the reply........but surely not EVERYONE has children with wonderful school reports and good scores. There are plenty of kids with below average marks and so so school reports. Because of this the schools just dont take them?????...........geez!! Makes it hard for the rest of us with children that arent wonderful performers in the school arena!
don't worry too much about it....2 of my kids are certainly not wonderful performers (and that is an understatement)l...and they are 13 and 15 as well...and they go to school here and there are no issues at all...of course not everybody here in Dubai has kids that are academic highflyers...but people don't like to talk about it when their kids are not doing that well...apparently it's still a bit of a taboo...
Just be open about it when you talk to the schools...some people might say don't mention it and just see how it goes, but I'd want to know in advance that the school is openminded towards all kids and that they are committed in offering help....
Old Oct 14th 2008, 6:24 am
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MataHari
don't worry too much about it....2 of my kids are certainly not wonderful performers (and that is an understatement)l...and they are 13 and 15 as well...and they go to school here and there are no issues at all...of course not everybody here in Dubai has kids that are academic highflyers...but people don't like to talk about it when their kids are not doing that well...apparently it's still a bit of a taboo...
Just be open about it when you talk to the schools...some people might say don't mention it and just see how it goes, but I'd want to know in advance that the school is openminded towards all kids and that they are committed in offering help....
that is a fantastic honest reply!!

you feeling ok?
Old Oct 14th 2008, 6:28 am
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by commander
that is a fantastic honest reply!!

you feeling ok?
bit faint...
Old Oct 14th 2008, 6:49 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MataHari
bit faint...
Probably at the prospect of throwing away all those old clothes, my dear
Old Oct 15th 2008, 8:03 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for the replies, makes me feel a bit better about moving our dd to Dubai IF we decided to take that step, right now hubby will commute between Dubai and Aus.
Old Oct 15th 2008, 2:16 pm
Forum Regular

outtatouch is an unknown quantity at this point

view the websites of the schools in dubai that you are interested in and email with whatever questions you may have at least to get some insight before you come over. schools have heard everything so no need to fear asking. better to be open about it.
Old Oct 15th 2008, 2:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

lobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to all

hi my now 18 yr old arrived here at 14 with the worst school reports ever......she took tests for BSAK(supposedly the best in AD!!!!)and got dreadful results .....they still took her....and with lots of help and a private tutor....she passed all her gcse exams ....teachers were amazed by her turn around in 2 years .....she went back to do a levels...but was not for her she is now working as a teaching assitant here doing on line quals and lovin it ,,,,so dont worrie too much.......other 2 here DS 13 has just got top marks in his year at yasmina and DD11 doing gr8 top sets xxxxxxxxx
Old Oct 15th 2008, 6:29 pm
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lobby lou
hi my now 18 yr old arrived here at 14 with the worst school reports ever......she took tests for BSAK(supposedly the best in AD!!!!)and got dreadful results .....they still took her....and with lots of help and a private tutor....she passed all her gcse exams ....teachers were amazed by her turn around in 2 years .....she went back to do a levels...but was not for her she is now working as a teaching assitant here doing on line quals and lovin it ,,,,so dont worrie too much.......other 2 here DS 13 has just got top marks in his year at yasmina and DD11 doing gr8 top sets xxxxxxxxx
was her command of the english language passed down from you?

i could imagine the evenings, where the 14 yo is teaching mum how to spell 'worrie'
Old Oct 15th 2008, 7:22 pm
Down and out

ctfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond repute

50% of all kids are below average... don't let it worry you
Old Oct 15th 2008, 9:02 pm
Forum Regular

thanks guys those replies are very encouraging.

Commander, your comment was pretty rude and unwarranted. Surely you have better things to do with your time than play 'spell checker"?
Old Oct 16th 2008, 3:21 am
banned

thanks guys those replies are very encouraging.

Commander, your comment was pretty rude and unwarranted. Surely you have better things to do with your time than play 'spell checker"?

i humblie opaolgize

(ps i was kidding, no need to get all offended now is there)
Old Oct 16th 2008, 4:43 am
Forum Regular

mariang is an unknown quantity at this point

I wouldn't worry too much about schools - most do a 'test' on entry, but my personal opinion is they accept anyone.Despite what some may say schools here are run as a business, and as usual its all about bums on seats! My daughters class is varied with some children having extra learning support, although I was led to believe that the school she is in was 'academic'

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.