British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Schools in Dubai accommodating special needs? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/schools-dubai-accommodating-special-needs-542665/)

JoannaM Jun 12th 2008 3:37 pm

Schools in Dubai accommodating special needs?

Hi, please does anyone have any advice on particularly good schools (mainstream) in Dubai that can accommodate primary age children with autism (non-statemented)? Would be grateful for any insight. Thanks

Madam Medusa Jun 12th 2008 3:42 pm

Re: Schools in Dubai accommodating special needs?

i think this is quite difficult here...you could try horizon school http://www.horizonschooldubai.com/, they seem to have a more open policy than most...

MM, xx

MataHari Jun 12th 2008 4:29 pm

Uptown Primary Mirdif has special needs kids as well...
http://www.beacon.ae/main.php?id=18&mid=6&sch_id=3

Salimsmum Jun 12th 2008 5:13 pm

Joanna, I'm mum to a severely autistic 17 year old, we live in Oman.

I think the best place to get an answer to your question would be the Dubai Autistic Society, they do good work and if anyone would know the reality of the situation given our childrens very complex needs, they will.

good luck

JoannaM Jun 12th 2008 6:33 pm

that's really helpful - thank you all for your replies so far.

Blue Cat Jun 14th 2008 6:02 am

there is a school in Satwa, I think it is called St Andrews.

Salimsmum Jun 16th 2008 3:26 am

I've been thinking about this lady and I'm concerned that she will actually think that schools in this part of the world who advertise a special needs dept, actually do have one.

In my experience what they consider 'special needs' can be very different from the reality of what 'special needs' actually does mean.

Mainstreaming a child with autism, even one who's disabilties put them at the more able end of the spectrum, is very difficult even in the best of circumstances and with one to one support available to the child for large parts of the day. I really can't see how it would work in this part of the world and I've spent the last few days really worried about this lady and her child

JoannaM Jun 16th 2008 1:31 pm

Thank you Salimsmum. I have to say i think the middle east is going to be a bit of a non-starter in that respect. I looked at the horizon school website and it does have some positive stuff about inclusion and special needs, but most children on the autistic spectrum don't handle change well (my experience has been that it pushes a child further up the spectrum rather than at the Aspergers end) and the added sensory difficulty of suncream will finish us both off I think! I daren't even think about food issues either. Being abroad was fine when our children were very little but I think now the UK is a better long term plan. I will pass on the details though of the Dubai office of the NAS to a friend who is waiting for a diagnosis for her daughter. It will be helpful to her I'm sure, as she's a rare one who doesn't use the internet. Thanks again.

Salimsmum Jun 16th 2008 3:58 pm

I have to admit I'm very happy you've realised schooling in this part of the world for our autisitc children is, for the most part, a non-starter. I really was worried.

My son has never been to school, we've always done home ed, he has a diagnosis of classic kanners autism and is at the more severe end of even that diagnosis. I just instinctively felt that home was the best place for him even though there was a place her in Oman he could have gone. Over the years he's come on in leaps and bounds, never did we think he'd be so well, all things considered. It took him till he was 9 to gain any speech and now we have sentences of 8 or 9 words if it's something he's intersted in.

He has severe sensory issues and as for food............on my god, I feel your pain!!!!. I look at my boy, he's 6 foot two and built like a rugby player yet there have been times when I seriiously did wonder how he could live much longer considering what he was eating ....or should that be not eating, which was almost everything.

However, he was put in Risperdal 6 months ago to help with his really bad puberty and the sensory isses are much better - he also now eats a normal diet. It's been miraculous.

Here's to a great school for your little one regardless of where you settle. Your friend and her wee one are in my thoughts.

Oh I forgot to add, if you ever get to qatar they now have one of the worlds leading schools for those on the spectrum, it's also being used as an international research facility with many of the worlds leading experts on autism using it .

hth :)

W10 Jun 16th 2008 5:23 pm

Just to add to the comments from people who say special needs is still a dirty word out here. Schools do not cater really well.

Salimsmum Jun 16th 2008 6:06 pm

I've never got the impression that 'special needs' is a dirty word, but then, what would I know :)

cod head Jun 17th 2008 4:45 pm

my 11 year old son has autism (aspergers syndrome) - was in mainstream school in the uk (15 hours one to one per week as per his statement)

came to Dubai 3 months ago and got him a place at St Andrews (British Institute for Learning Development) - cant recommend it highly enough - its great and exactly what we needed

JoannaM Jun 17th 2008 10:11 pm

Salimsmum, yes food and pain go well together for our little ones. I did read a brilliant book called "Can't eat, won't eat, dietary difficulties and the autistic spectrum" by Brenda Legge. My child's name could have been at the top of every page, but is still a bit young to try some of the stuff that's recommended, but if you ever feel like you need a book who understands food difficulties and Aspergers/Autism then this would be it.

I really appreciate all the responses about schools and the insight into what's on offer in Dubai. Thank you.

Salimsmum Jun 18th 2008 5:36 am

Joanne, I've read the book and yes, it could have been Salims name at the top of each page as well.

Truth be told though it was only the Risperdal which sorted out the eating, it worked on a lot of his sensory issues which I always thought played a big part in the problem, but as a med it also induces appetite.

Anyway whatever it was.....we're not complaining :thumbsup:

Take care :), here's to the very happy times and great improvements that are just around the corner.:) :)