British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Schools in Dubai and Abu Dhabi (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/schools-dubai-abu-dhabi-528760/)

Learningtree22 Apr 12th 2008 8:05 am

Schools in Dubai and Abu Dhabi

My husband is in the middle of applying for two jobs through his company, one in Dubai and the other in Abu Dhabi. We are finding it hard to choose which City would be our preference. We have heard that all good English schools have waiting lists. Does anyone know the average waiting time to get to the top of the list? One will start in Reception and the other will be in Year 2. Do you put their names down before you move out?

Also does anyone have any information on which is the better city for schools, and for bringing two young children up in ages 4 and 6) ie: As Abu Dhabi is a smaller city, would there be more of a Expat community feel? :wub:

Blue Cat Apr 12th 2008 8:40 am

Re: Schools in Dubai and Abu Dhabi

http://www.bsme.org.uk/schools/

go for the job that offers the most money!!!

:):):):)

ScotsExpat Apr 12th 2008 8:45 am

Originally Posted by Learningtree22 (Post 6197093)
My husband is in the middle of applying for two jobs through his company, one in Dubai and the other in Abu Dhabi. We are finding it hard to choose which City would be our preference. We have heard that all good English schools have waiting lists. Does anyone know the average waiting time to get to the top of the list? One will start in Reception and the other will be in Year 2. Do you put their names down before you move out?

Also does anyone have any information on which is the better city for schools, and for bringing two young children up in ages 4 and 6) ie: As Abu Dhabi is a smaller city, would there be more of a Expat community feel? :wub:

If Im being completely selfish, Id say move to AD.....

I am having a nightmare getting kids into school for the next school year, because people who havent even decided to move here yet are putting registrations in on the offchance that a job offer actually comes through.

Since the schools dont repay the monies paid for registration, they dont really care if you are in the country or not at registration phase, its only when the offer of a place is made that residency etc becomes an issue...

In saying that, DBS are now turning away all registration forms for kids between 3 and 11 years old..... Must have a HELL of a list before they knock back the opportunity to make 500AED for each registration....

Blue Cat Apr 12th 2008 8:57 am

the problem is just as bad in AD and they don't have as many schools as we do here, but yes I think AD is probably the better of the two places now. I can't believe that they keep the 500 dhs!!! I only registered at one school so didn't go through all this malarky! it is a nightmare! BUT I had to pay 3500 dhs last week to hold her place for September, which they said they would refund the following April!!! I had to speak to the Ministry of Education about that and did get it over ruled :thumbsup:

admon Apr 12th 2008 8:59 am

Originally Posted by Learningtree22 (Post 6197093)

I have no idea of numbers, but my guestimate is that there are maybe 5 to 10 times the number of british expats in Dubai, as opposed to Abu Dhabi.

Just looking at how many British/International schools there are for expats in Dubai (of which around 70% of the children are generally British) would be some justification towards that guestimate.

If you go to many events in Dubai, such as the 7's, you realise just how many there are, along with many South Africans, Australians etc.

ScotsExpat Apr 12th 2008 9:07 am

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 6197271)
the problem is just as bad in AD and they don't have as many schools as we do here, but yes I think AD is probably the better of the two places now. I can't believe that they keep the 500 dhs!!! I only registered at one school so didn't go through all this malarky! it is a nightmare! BUT I had to pay 3500 dhs last week to hold her place for September, which they said they would refund the following April!!! I had to speak to the Ministry of Education about that and did get it over ruled :thumbsup:

Their response to the question 'What happens to my money if you dont offer them the place in Sept?' is that the kid will stay on the list and you will be offered a place when one becomes available........

Meaning, we'll keep our promise that you will, at sometime, be offered a place. Whether you decide to pull your kid out of wherever you managed to get them in or leave them there, is up to you.......

Blue Cat Apr 12th 2008 9:12 am

Originally Posted by ScotsExpat (Post 6197304)
Their response to the question 'What happens to my money if you dont offer them the place in Sept?' is that the kid will stay on the list and you will be offered a place when one becomes available........

Meaning, we'll keep our promise that you will, at sometime, be offered a place. Whether you decide to pull your kid out of wherever you managed to get them in or leave them there, is up to you.......

if you pay 500 Dhs and they can't offer you a space in September you get it back, they only keep it if they do offer you a place? seems bizarre but that's Dubai for you. PS still no sign or word from my other half.

ScotsExpat Apr 12th 2008 9:24 am

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 6197317)
if you pay 500 Dhs and they can't offer you a space in September you get it back, they only keep it if they do offer you a place? seems bizarre but that's Dubai for you. PS still no sign or word from my other half.

No, they will keep the 500AED no matter what. They say that they are not specifically accepting the money for a place in Sept, just for a place full stop.... If they offer you it for Term 3 next year, they have done what they said they would do, offer a place.........

Blue Cat Apr 12th 2008 9:52 am

Originally Posted by ScotsExpat (Post 6197351)
No, they will keep the 500AED no matter what. They say that they are not specifically accepting the money for a place in Sept, just for a place full stop.... If they offer you it for Term 3 next year, they have done what they said they would do, offer a place.........

disgusting :thumbdown::thumbdown: where else have you tried?

Madam Medusa Apr 12th 2008 9:53 am

Originally Posted by ScotsExpat (Post 6197351)

par for the course though...they do the same in the uk...

waiting lists are bad, but, it is transient, and if you keep on and on contacting the school i've heard that generally people are successful in getting a place...

MM, xx

ScotsExpat Apr 12th 2008 9:59 am

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 6197446)
disgusting :thumbdown::thumbdown: where else have you tried?

Well, if plaguing there admissions department with phone calls on a daily basis doesnt seem to be getting me anywhere, I am considering grabbing a coupla MH's kittens and sacrificing then on the altar of education.........

Blue Cat Apr 12th 2008 10:01 am

Originally Posted by ScotsExpat (Post 6197466)
Well, if plaguing there admissions department with phone calls on a daily basis doesnt seem to getting me anywhere, I am considering grabbing a coupla MH's kittens and sacrificing then on the altar of education.........

it will all work out in the end, it always does. Try Jebel Ali School as well, a friend was offered a place there last week.

Learningtree22 Apr 12th 2008 10:57 am

Thanks for all your replies, it has been a real insight. I would never of believed there would be so many barriers nowadays to get your child into a school, it just shows you how many people are going out.:wub: I wonder if it is the same in Bahrain, or neighbouring places?????

ScotsExpat Apr 12th 2008 11:22 am

Originally Posted by Learningtree22 (Post 6197634)
Thanks for all your replies, it has been a real insight. I would never of believed there would be so many barriers nowadays to get your child into a school, it just shows you how many people are going out.:wub: I wonder if it is the same in Bahrain, or neighbouring places?????

Dunno about other places, but one reason I am looking at Dubai now is that the situation is even worse in Muscat.......

bearfus Apr 13th 2008 8:16 pm

The schools thing is THE major headache for expats here in AD... its just gone MAD... even 2 years ago my kids were on the British Schools waiting list for 9 months and did not get a place by September, which meant having to opt for a new IB school (which turned out to be great) but it also meant that we had to choose our villa in a different location (to avoid long school runs) etc. etc. I guess its not much better in Dubai from the sounds of it... In AD they are opening up a couple of new schools... some have already started closing the application lists... good luck, I suspect there is more choice in Dubai, but AD is a quieter calmer place if thats what you prefer...