Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

schools in Doha, any update?

schools in Doha, any update?

Old Jan 26th 2014, 7:48 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: schools in Doha, any update?

Originally Posted by P18PPS
If you read through this thread you'll already know the shortlist of schools. I'm 99% sure you will not have the luxury of 'choosing' a school - so apply to those that you feel may be suitable and suffer the admin cost of doing so. Unfortunately over here the shortage of schools will not allow YOU to choose, it's whatever is available and then make the most of it, or change it if it's not working for you. Its pointless someone saying "DESS" is better than "Sherborne" if you're looking at a potential 18 month waiting list for DESS. Go with what's available and then change if you think you need to.

Dubai may be different, however moving to Doha is not a "lifestyle" choice where you have access and choice to the best, it really is at it's infancy and "making do" is more the way. All that said, our 4 children are doing well.

For what it's worth, we currently have 3 at Sherborne: 1 pre-prep, 1 prep and 1 senior, (our 4th and youngest is at an Australian nursery, but will go to Sherborne) The eldest is currently in final studies for GCSEs and whatever the outcome will NOT stay here for A-levels - they're off to boarding school in the UK come september. Middle one at Shreborne is doing exceptionally well (though is naturally bright) - I do questioned whether they're being challenged sufficiently. Youngest at Sherborne is naturally "slower" on the reading and writing and I question whether enough is being done to support them at school.
Overall though - pleased with the school, and doubt it would be as good as the normal state-run offering in the UK, but the schooling over here does not even compare to regular "private" schooling around the world.
Thats all you need to know
Old Jan 29th 2014, 10:03 am
Forum Regular

cheeznleez is an unknown quantity at this point

Fabbo gen, thanks! I have not read anything recent on the web with regards to the Canadian school. Being from Canada, it's an attractive option, but I don't want to waste time and money applying if it's Canadian in name only. What's the word on the street with that?
Old Feb 23rd 2014, 9:53 am
Just Joined

hammers1973 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Any Autism schools in Qatar please?

Hi
My husband has been offered a job in Qatar, We have 2 children and our daughter is 8 years old and has high functioning autism. Our concern is are there any good schools for autism please?
Also, our son is nearly 12 and wondered what the secondary schools are like? He is at a grammar school currently in the uk.
Thanks
Old Feb 23rd 2014, 10:59 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any Autism schools in Qatar please?

Originally Posted by hammers1973
Hi
My husband has been offered a job in Qatar, We have 2 children and our daughter is 8 years old and has high functioning autism. Our concern is are there any good schools for autism please?
Also, our son is nearly 12 and wondered what the secondary schools are like? He is at a grammar school currently in the uk.
Thanks
Hi hammers and welcome to BE

I've moved your post over to our Middle East forums as they will be best placed to answer such a specific question. Good luck to you
Old Feb 23rd 2014, 11:09 am
Just Joined

hammers1973 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
Hi hammers and welcome to BE

I've moved your post over to our Middle East forums as they will be best placed to answer such a specific question. Good luck to you
Thank you.
Old Mar 2nd 2014, 5:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

primularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond repute

I think that you should interview the schools directly, talking with the principal of the school. I recommend you to di this before accepting the job.
good luck

Originally Posted by hammers1973
Hi
Thanks
Old Mar 16th 2014, 10:02 pm
Forum Regular

EastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud of

Hello guys
I need your advice on this matter. I applied for the following schools:
-DESS
-Doha College
-British school
-Park House
-International school of London (ISL)
-Sherborne school
-Compass school

I paid $$ for application fees. Park House and British school indicated they have no places. DESS invited one of my kids for assessment while they indicated no places for others. Doha College invites my kids for assessment but as we still overseas we could not make it so not sure whether they will hold the places or not. I asked them but got no reply. Now I got a place offered by sherborne for one of my kids while still waiting for others, which might take a month or so. Still no word from ISL or compass school. The problem now is Sherborne asks for a fee to be paid before the 25th of this month otherwise they will not offer a place for my child. I am in dilemma as to pay them or not as I have already wasted a lot of money here and there for applications. Should I pay despite still waiting for other schools outcome?
What is your take on compass school compared to sherborne and ISL?

Any advice is appreciated
Thanks
Old Mar 17th 2014, 7:31 am

P18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond repute

I'd pay if I were you and at least have one box ticked!

Out of interest what ages are your children? you may find that regardless you'll be on one or more campuses, therefore multiple schools might not be out of the question either….
Old Mar 17th 2014, 8:56 am
BE Enthusiast

primularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond repute

I would pay but I would insist that they take also you other kids. You'll drive mad to take kids to different schools!!

May I ask you how many kids do you have and which grades did you apply for?

My situation at the moment is worse. We applied to 5 schools, the only reply we had is just for BDS and it was "no" (after paying of course) :-)

We are still out from Qatar so if we have to come for an assessment we don't know what to do.....it is not easy to come to Doha for an assessment, spend time and money and then not to have a place. This system is driving us crazy. The Government should facilitate expat families with school, as it is their interest that qualified workers come to Qatar.
Old Mar 17th 2014, 9:06 am
Forum Regular

EastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by P18PPS
I'd pay if I were you and at least have one box ticked!

Out of interest what ages are your children? you may find that regardless you'll be on one or more campuses, therefore multiple schools might not be out of the question either….
Thanks for feedback. I have PM you.
Old Mar 17th 2014, 9:12 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by primularossa
I would pay but I would insist that they take also you other kids. You'll drive mad to take kids to different schools!!

May I ask you how many kids do you have and which grades did you apply for?

My situation at the moment is worse. We applied to 5 schools, the only reply we had is just for BDS and it was "no" (after paying of course) :-)

We are still out from Qatar so if we have to come for an assessment we don't know what to do.....it is not easy to come to Doha for an assessment, spend time and money and then not to have a place. This system is driving us crazy. The Government should facilitate expat families with school, as it is their interest that qualified workers come to Qatar.
When did you apply? I started sending applications in December. You are right the system is crazy and like gambling. You have to pay here and there without any guarantee of a place.
Also I have learned the Education Council in Qatar has introduced new rules starting from this year. These rules are:
-Students are not allowed to transfer during school year. They can only start at the beginning of the year.
-School reports need to be attested by Qatar Embassy (who will not attest them without ministry of foreign affairs and notary public) and by the Council in Qatar.
If this is true then the process will be further complicated!
Old Mar 17th 2014, 9:22 am
BE Enthusiast

We sent the applications during January. The difficulty that we have is that our daughter is not English mother tongue.....
Where did you read about the new rules? could you give us a link to a website? I hope they will not implement them!
Old Mar 17th 2014, 9:28 am
Forum Regular

We sent the applications during January. The difficulty that we have is that our daughter is not English mother tongue.....
I don't think that is a problem as half of students in any school are non-native English speakers.
Where did you read about the new rules? could you give us a link to a website? I hope they will not implement them!
I have not read about them but one of the schools applied for sent me that per email.
Old Mar 17th 2014, 9:33 am
Forum Regular

This is what I got per email re new rules:

Please note the following recent changes regarding acceptance to schools within Qatar:

1. The Supreme Education Council (SEC) has advised that no child coming from abroad is allowed to start school in Qatar before September 2014; this is a new rule that has just been imposed.

2. The SEC has advised that children are permitted to transfer between schools within Qatar provided the Year Groups/Curriculum remains the same.

3. The SEC has advised that Attested School Reports (in country of origin) are required for each child starting school in Qatar from September 2014. These Reports should also be stamped by the SEC in Qatar and must meet the SEC requirements for transfer from existing Curriculum and Year Groups to English Curriculum and Year Groups . NB: Clarification should be sought from the SEC as to how many year’s Reports attested they require to be e.g. two academic years etc.
Old Apr 3rd 2014, 5:08 am
Forum Regular

Hello again
What is your take on Newton School in Barawa City?
Out of all schools I applied for, I got one confirmed place for my eldest son. It seems the places for little kids are more scarce than the older ones. While I don't like having my kids in different schools, I don't want them to be in a poor-reputation school. Still waiting for reply from Doha College, International School of London and Sherborne school. I recently contacted Newton school and they said they have places for all of them.
I know the school in Barwa is in the middle of nowhere, but is it a good school?
Thanks.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.