British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Schools for 2 kids aged 7 & 4 in Dubai - any recommendations? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/schools-2-kids-aged-7-4-dubai-any-recommendations-689457/)

teapot44 Oct 13th 2010 10:00 pm

Schools for 2 kids aged 7 & 4 in Dubai - any recommendations?

Hi, we're moving to Dubai in Jan 2011 and I'm having a bit of a nightmare with finding school places for my 7 & 4 year old kids.

I've looked at the ones that have been recommended to me - DESS, JESS, Kings, Wellington - and all have whopping waiting lists. Can anyone recommend any others?

Thanks for any help you can give - getting desp!

Mackers 69 Oct 14th 2010 4:34 am

Re: Schools for 2 kids aged 7 & 4 in Dubai - any recommendations?

We tried all of those school's & encountered the same problems. Eventually got my 7 & 4 year old into Repton & they both love it.
Hope that helps. Good luck:)

spartans53 Oct 14th 2010 10:47 am

Jebel Ali Primary is great if you live that way but like all the good schools places are like rocking horse poo

Victor Meldrew Oct 14th 2010 11:03 am

Horizon has a nice feel to it I believe.

Millhouse Oct 14th 2010 11:31 am

mini millhouse is loving DBS

teapot44 Oct 14th 2010 12:13 pm

Thank you all very much for your responses, and would welcome any more thoughts from others. Does anyone know anything about Star (both the Mirdif and Jumeriah ones)? I know they have places, but want to make sure it's for the right reasons! Thx

Millhouse Oct 14th 2010 6:41 pm

Originally Posted by teapot44 (Post 8916455)
Thanks for any help you can give - getting desp!

I know I'm about to say something controversial here... but does it really matter? they are both pretty young and as long as they don't come back covered in bruises everyday all is well? You can always move them when you are on the ground and better able to make a decision.

Pick your times to worry about these things and all that. You have more flexibility here than you do in the UK.

That was my view with mini (who admittedly is young).

MataHari Oct 15th 2010 7:28 am

Originally Posted by EmiratesMillhouse (Post 8918766)
I know I'm about to say something controversial here... but does it really matter? they are both pretty young and as long as they don't come back covered in bruises everyday all is well? You can always move them when you are on the ground and better able to make a decision.

Pick your times to worry about these things and all that. You have more flexibility here than you do in the UK.

That was my view with mini (who admittedly is young).

I completely agree with you...all this stress over schools is a waste of time...

Roadking Oct 16th 2010 3:17 pm

Originally Posted by MataHari (Post 8919710)
I completely agree with you...all this stress over schools is a waste of time...

Yeah, just send the tykes out to work and save all the worry! Couple of sweat shops I can recommend...

rmcboyle Oct 19th 2010 7:02 pm

We live in Mirdif and I have 2 little guys (ages 5 & 3.5) attending Sharjah English School. It takes 15 mins to drive there in the morning. It's well established as a school (1974) but has fairly new premises with really lovely facilities. It's a nice size school with a good reputation and a very English feel to it. The boys love it and we're really happy with it too. :)