British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   School fees in middle east (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/school-fees-middle-east-688331/)

P18PPS Oct 5th 2010 9:57 pm

School fees in middle east

Hi all - a generalist question regarding a professional senior manager's position in the middle east - should we expect school fees to be included into a package?

Thanks

NorthernLad Oct 6th 2010 2:35 am

Re: School fees in middle east

Originally Posted by P18PPS (Post 8898106)
Hi all - a generalist question regarding a professional senior manager's position in the middle east - should we expect school fees to be included into a package?

Thanks

With international companies it is usually expected.

Dilmun Oct 6th 2010 5:46 am

Thanks

I wouldn't do without, the fees are horrendous!

Ethos83 Oct 6th 2010 6:22 am

Well, you need to consider the package as a whole.

The traditional Dubai package set up was base salary + housing allowance + transportation allowance + school fees + flights home.

However, when the time comes to leave the company you will be paid gratuity only on the base salary component and all the allowances (which can easily total half the overall package) aren't factored into the calculation.

The best package is now the one lump sum package for the gratuity will be based on the whole amount. The lump sum package is becoming more common especially in the free zones. You just need to mentally break down a lump sum package by how much you would need to spend on fees, housing, transportation and flights, and see how that works out. There are plenty of people on lump sum packages making more than they did on the traditional package even with all the benefits added.

Anyway, this will be up to the discretion of the company. If they are offering the standard Dubai package breakdown odds are they won't go for the lump sum package for financial reasons (see the gratuity explanation above). But yes, ensure school fees are included. Get at least 40K per child if they are still young, or 60K per child for the higher ages. Here's a breakdown of fees by year for an above average Dubai international school:

http://www.eischools.ae/Meadows/admi...cy_2010-11.pdf

But other schools are even more expensive.

Meow Oct 6th 2010 8:37 am

Best to get full fees included in a package as school fees inflation is even higher than standard price inflation.
-

Welivehere Oct 6th 2010 11:09 am

Originally Posted by Ethos83 (Post 8898728)
. Get at least 40K per child if they are still young, or 60K per child for the higher ages

I would try to avoid specifying an amount for the reason below.

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 8898928)
Best to get full fees included in a package as school fees inflation is even higher than standard price inflation

Another approach is to negotiate a % of what the whatever the cost is to be paid by the co.

busybee2 Oct 6th 2010 6:45 pm

Thanks

no not nowadays, a lot of companies now just give you a lump sum, industries such as the o&g may still tho.

TGFKASE Oct 7th 2010 9:12 am

Originally Posted by busybee2 (Post 8900291)
no not nowadays, a lot of companies now just give you a lump sum, industries such as the o&g may still tho.

They do..... (plumps his feather pillow, on his feather bed..!!!)

lionheart Oct 7th 2010 10:24 am

No school fees paid by my UK employer. They cost me about Dhs 15,000 per annum, so not bank breaking.

busybee2 Oct 7th 2010 11:50 am

Originally Posted by TGFKASE (Post 8901831)
They do..... (plumps his feather pillow, on his feather bed..!!!)

yes as i said some do, but the majority now dont, lump sum salary is now more common with the recession etc here.