Reload this Page >

School Entrance Tests ...?

School Entrance Tests ...?

Old May 12th 2010, 12:21 pm
Forum Regular

lisalou24 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default School Entrance Tests ...?

Hi everyone

Just a quick question with regards to school entrance tests?

My eldest son (9 years, Year 4) is a probably a little behind, but most of this is down to being very lazy! As he isn't stupid.

He used to attend a private school in UK until 2 years ago, and think they tried to push him to hard and we pulled him out, as didn't think it was doing him any favours and now he's in a small really good local school, but still fairly behind in certain areas, but have worked wonders with him.

However, I am worried that after being offered a job etc, if he might get refused entrance into a school as unsure how strict they are with entrance tests and do they only want brain boxes etc in their school, as everything states subject to the tests/reports etc.

Just wondering if anyone has faced a similar senario?

Thanks
Lisalou24
Old May 12th 2010, 1:00 pm
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: School Entrance Tests ...?

I wouldn't worry too much about it...it's not like everybody in Dubai has superduper intelligent kids, it's just the same as everywhere else in the world. A lot of the schools offer assistance to kids that aren't up to scratch, and a lot of kids come in from different curiculums so there is a lot of diversity anyway. And if a school refuses a child cause he doesn't get top scores, you are probably better off not going there anyway.
My kids were 9 and 11 when we moved here, they didn't speak any English at all and still got accepted, lol...
Old May 12th 2010, 1:12 pm
Forum Regular

Oh excellent that has put my mind at ease a little!

A little annoyed that some schools say they have limited availability - does this mean they do or don't - I don't want to have to pay 500 dhs for each child to each school ... just in case they do have space or don't have space?!

I've been sent forms to fill out etc, but require all the documentation too, which I don't yet have residence visa sorted. Employer mentioned that they would sort this out when over there - is this general practice?

I would rather get school sorted this end first with residence visas and places actually confirmed in case anything should go wrong, at least we will be here then, and would hate to come back as would be difficult due to jobs/housing/schooling etc all again over here in the UK!!

Or am I just being paranoid ?!?

Thanks
Old May 12th 2010, 1:32 pm
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

yes, it's normal for your residency visa to be sorted out once you are here, first your husbands visa is arranged, then yours and the kids. Schools deal with this all the time and they know you won't have all the documents ready, so that's not a problem for actually getting a place.
There are schools with waitinglists, and because people come and go all the time they can't always guarantee a place. I was told today that there is a waitinglist of 45 kids for KG1 at our school now.
Although the entrance test is more or less a formality, your sons would have to do it before he definately gets accepted.
We went for a visit to Dubai 2 months before we actually moved and did the whole school thing/testing during that visit.
The 500 dhs registration fee seems to be the norm unfortunately.
Old May 12th 2010, 3:10 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by MataHari
yes, it's normal for your residency visa to be sorted out once you are here, first your husbands visa is arranged, then yours and the kids. Schools deal with this all the time and they know you won't have all the documents ready, so that's not a problem for actually getting a place.
There are schools with waitinglists, and because people come and go all the time they can't always guarantee a place. I was told today that there is a waitinglist of 45 kids for KG1 at our school now.
Although the entrance test is more or less a formality, your sons would have to do it before he definately gets accepted.
We went for a visit to Dubai 2 months before we actually moved and did the whole school thing/testing during that visit.
The 500 dhs registration fee seems to be the norm unfortunately.
Oh right excellent that helps then if it is all sorted out there.

As long as there are no hiccups or delays, or likely to be refused, heard a couple of stories where people where for silly reasons e.g. age etc.

My job ideally wants me over in 4-6 weeks!! So this therefore might cause problems in itself as don't believe that a visa will get sorted that quickly, and will need a visa in order for the kids to start school etc. So therefore will it be better to start to whole visa process this end?

With regards to the deposit of 500dhs per child, I know this is normally, but don't want to pay this per child (x2) and then also pay for 3 schools as they all state we have limited availability in each class. Would like both boys to go to the same school, especially will be getting the bus and youngest will need to get on it with his big brother!

We are going to visit at the end of May anyway for a few nights, to have a look and do the tests. trying to get a cheapish deal for all 4 of us, however, there seem to be a couple of deals out there at the moment for around £1600, especially if we are going to be back out living there a couple of weeks later I don't want to pay the earth for a short late minute break.

Thanks
Old May 13th 2010, 3:36 pm
ex-expat

Hello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond repute

not wanting to justify the extortionate fees here, but you'll find you have to get used to handing over lots of money in advance for various things. Just make sure you don't get into personal debt doing so.
Old May 13th 2010, 3:42 pm
Forum Regular

yes I know and don't plan to get into any personal debt!! Just managed to get debt free here

We're going to do a short-term rental too, so not tied into a yearly lease until we find out feet and find where we want to be over there, and gthen take time to have a proper look around and negotiate better deals.

Also, can you pay monthly on school fees, or are these also termly in advance? Just a quick question, ok to pay termly but would just free up more spare cash to use on other bits n' bobs.

Trying to keep general overheads as low as possible to move out there, as don't want to end up spending a fortune before we even out there! If that makes sense...?
Old May 13th 2010, 7:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lisalou24
yes I know and don't plan to get into any personal debt!! Just managed to get debt free here

We're going to do a short-term rental too, so not tied into a yearly lease until we find out feet and find where we want to be over there, and gthen take time to have a proper look around and negotiate better deals.

Also, can you pay monthly on school fees, or are these also termly in advance? Just a quick question, ok to pay termly but would just free up more spare cash to use on other bits n' bobs.

Trying to keep general overheads as low as possible to move out there, as don't want to end up spending a fortune before we even out there! If that makes sense...?
err..short term lets...nooooo don't exist...

school fees monthly, lmao...some schools are now asking for a year in advance...you need to get real, tbh...

MM, xx
Old May 13th 2010, 8:53 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks. but short-term do exist - I have seen loads of villas / apartments that offer short term deals from 13k - 15k per month, fully-furnished.

with regards to the school I didn't know - like I said termly fees aren't a problem I just read somewhere about monthly, and wondered if this was a possiblity?! Surely there is no-way a school would ask for a whole ears fee upfront, especially if you had 2/3 kids etc. I know people are earning good money out there, but thats ridiculous!!

I will think I will double check with m school about the fees as they haven't mentioned about yearly fees payable!!
Old May 13th 2010, 10:18 pm
Eva
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Eva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks. but short-term do exist - I have seen loads of villas / apartments that offer short term deals from 13k - 15k per month, fully-furnished.

with regards to the school I didn't know - like I said termly fees aren't a problem I just read somewhere about monthly, and wondered if this was a possiblity?! Surely there is no-way a school would ask for a whole ears fee upfront, especially if you had 2/3 kids etc. I know people are earning good money out there, but thats ridiculous!!

I will think I will double check with m school about the fees as they haven't mentioned about yearly fees payable!!
We pay out 3 disbursements p.a for staff with school fees inclu in package.Don't think you will get away with monthly payments.I think places in better schools remain at a premuim and they are primarily businesses in UAE as opposed to vocational 'seats of learning' Think you'll get whacked for intial entrance fees too.
Your comment about people earning good money in UAE? With two or three anklebiters, I think you'll find cost of living on a par with UK.
Old May 14th 2010, 4:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think the entrance tests four primary school are that difficult - as long as he doesn't need learning support, your son should be okay, as most schools here don't take special needs kids. The 500AED per child is the norm and when we came here I think my husband's business partner paid 1500 to every school in Dubai and the kids were offered places at about three - only one school gave us that money back. Most schools here are just here to rip you off for whatever they possibly can bleed from you. They can only legally take a terms fees from you, due before the first day of term apparently, but some will try it on for a year up front (post dated cheques).
Old May 14th 2010, 4:28 am
Forum Regular

Poitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nice

hey you up early kim - can't sleep these days

To other person - i wouldn't sweat the school places - I think there is a high number leaving - IMHO
as kim said you will only have a problem if the child has any special needs - as we had but didn't know until we got here and then we would have had difficulty changing schools if we wanted to.

school fees are term by term - you should really get the company to cover this as they may increase( I know all the rest of you are laughing at me but this is Dubai and a 15%increase is very likely with an outstanding award).

It ain't cheap here
Old May 14th 2010, 4:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute

yes, there are some short term lets, sorry, i'm not sure what i was thinking...!

in theory schools should only ask for 500 dhs to secure the place, with the first term's fees payable in advance (if you are already at the school it's payable on the first day)...however, there are some schools here that have asked for a guarantee for the whole year (either a letter from the company to say they will pay, payment in full by the parent, or the parent takes out a loan with a specific bank!)...not sure whether this is legal, but this is what some schools are asking...

where are you looking at, any ideas...?

MM, xx
Old May 14th 2010, 6:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Poitin
hey you up early kim - can't sleep these days

To other person - i wouldn't sweat the school places - I think there is a high number leaving - IMHO
as kim said you will only have a problem if the child has any special needs - as we had but didn't know until we got here and then we would have had difficulty changing schools if we wanted to.

school fees are term by term - you should really get the company to cover this as they may increase( I know all the rest of you are laughing at me but this is Dubai and a 15%increase is very likely with an outstanding award).

It ain't cheap here
Friday morning - Nippers - have at the beach by 8.30am. The kids have been hounding me since the season started so I thought I better get down there for the rest of it.