Reload this Page >

Scholarship or work?

Scholarship or work?

Old Jul 10th 2009, 8:16 am
Just Joined

Conjurer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Scholarship or work?

Hello.
I'm in a tight decision making situation and I really need help.
I've graduated in July 2008 and I've been unable to find work until now, my major is telecom engineering.
I'm an Egyptian resident, this month I've got a job offer in the UAE for a fiber optic project with a technician title (which I don't think is good) on the other hand, I have a chance to get a governmental scholarship here in Egypt, the scholarship is in a practical school that prepares fresh graduates with trainings and tools to be able to compete in the market, moreover.. this diploma can then be continued as a master of science.
My questions are.
Is it normal for a B.Sc. in engineering holder to work with a technician title?
Shall I go for more education while having an opportunity to get hired?
Forgot to mention, scholarship demands me to be free as it is full time study.
Thank you in advance.
Old Jul 10th 2009, 8:37 am
Account Closed

Shadya is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Scholarship or work?

Originally Posted by Conjurer
Hello.
I'm in a tight decision making situation and I really need help.
I've graduated in July 2008 and I've been unable to find work until now, my major is telecom engineering.
I'm an Egyptian resident, this month I've got a job offer in the UAE for a fiber optic project with a technician title (which I don't think is good) on the other hand, I have a chance to get a governmental scholarship here in Egypt, the scholarship is in a practical school that prepares fresh graduates with trainings and tools to be able to compete in the market, moreover.. this diploma can then be continued as a master of science.
My questions are.
Is it normal for a B.Sc. in engineering holder to work with a technician title?
Shall I go for more education while having an opportunity to get hired?
Forgot to mention, scholarship demands me to be free as it is full time study.
Thank you in advance.
What is wrong with being a technician? After all, what managerial qualifications do you have?
Old Jul 10th 2009, 8:40 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Shadya
What is wrong with being a technician? After all, what managerial qualifications do you have?
According to my knowledge, technicians do not hold a B.Sc. in engineering? so I was asking if it is normal to work as a technician or will that be a downgrade to me?
I've a TQM certificate and half way to get my MBA from Edinburgh business school, but if I pick the scholarship option I will have to postpone the next semester.
Old Jul 10th 2009, 8:45 am
Just Joined

Kpax is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Shadya
Nice one Shadya.... tittles are just that, what matters is the extent of the package they are offering. Would it matter more if you were called ...... Focus on what matters fella, u are only starting out.
Old Jul 10th 2009, 8:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Euc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond repute

Just to get it straight though, are you an Egyptian resident or citizen?
Old Jul 10th 2009, 9:27 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Euc-
Just to get it straight though, are you an Egyptian resident or citizen?
Get what straight? I'm an Egyptian resident with dual nationalities that I've got from my parents as they have different origins. and I believe that has nothing to do with my question
Old Jul 10th 2009, 9:34 am
Just Joined

Kpax is an unknown quantity at this point

Get what straight? I'm an Egyptian resident with dual nationalities that I've got from my parents as they have different origins. and I believe that has nothing to do with my question
A bit of a tone there for someone asking for opinions and advice. Why did u mention it then in your little preamble, coz there is a distinction between resident and citizen so some people are curios and what to be sure. Thats the nature of the forum asking questions... if u dont mind
Old Jul 10th 2009, 9:36 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Kpax
A bit of a tone there for someone asking for opinions and advice. Why did u mention it then in your little preamble, coz there is a distinction between resident and citizen so some people are curios and what to be sure. Thats the nature of the forum asking questions... if u dont mind
I'm new here and I was just seeking some opinions from people who are more experienced than me
Old Jul 10th 2009, 11:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Jim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to behold

I'm new here and I was just seeking some opinions from people who are more experienced than me
I am a Telecomms Eng, but my view for what is is worth, is get some "hands on" work experience under your belt, and on your CV. I wouldn't worry what they called you, could be a lot worse!
Old Jul 10th 2009, 12:24 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Jim Smith
I am a Telecomms Eng, but my view for what is is worth, is get some "hands on" work experience under your belt, and on your CV. I wouldn't worry what they called you, could be a lot worse!
Thanks, I appreciate your response
Old Jul 10th 2009, 2:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Euc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond repute

In Dubai it unfortunately does matter if you are British or Egyptian. But whatever.