Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Scholarship or work?

Scholarship or work?

Old Jul 10th 2009, 8:16 am
  #1  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 5
Conjurer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Scholarship or work?

Hello.
I'm in a tight decision making situation and I really need help.
I've graduated in July 2008 and I've been unable to find work until now, my major is telecom engineering.
I'm an Egyptian resident, this month I've got a job offer in the UAE for a fiber optic project with a technician title (which I don't think is good) on the other hand, I have a chance to get a governmental scholarship here in Egypt, the scholarship is in a practical school that prepares fresh graduates with trainings and tools to be able to compete in the market, moreover.. this diploma can then be continued as a master of science.
My questions are.
Is it normal for a B.Sc. in engineering holder to work with a technician title?
Shall I go for more education while having an opportunity to get hired?
Forgot to mention, scholarship demands me to be free as it is full time study.
Thank you in advance.
Conjurer is offline  
Old Jul 10th 2009, 8:37 am
  #2  
Account Closed
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 820
Shadya is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Scholarship or work?

Originally Posted by Conjurer View Post
Hello.
I'm in a tight decision making situation and I really need help.
I've graduated in July 2008 and I've been unable to find work until now, my major is telecom engineering.
I'm an Egyptian resident, this month I've got a job offer in the UAE for a fiber optic project with a technician title (which I don't think is good) on the other hand, I have a chance to get a governmental scholarship here in Egypt, the scholarship is in a practical school that prepares fresh graduates with trainings and tools to be able to compete in the market, moreover.. this diploma can then be continued as a master of science.
My questions are.
Is it normal for a B.Sc. in engineering holder to work with a technician title?
Shall I go for more education while having an opportunity to get hired?
Forgot to mention, scholarship demands me to be free as it is full time study.
Thank you in advance.
What is wrong with being a technician? After all, what managerial qualifications do you have?
Shadya is offline  
Old Jul 10th 2009, 8:40 am
  #3  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 5
Conjurer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Scholarship or work?

Originally Posted by Shadya View Post
What is wrong with being a technician? After all, what managerial qualifications do you have?
According to my knowledge, technicians do not hold a B.Sc. in engineering? so I was asking if it is normal to work as a technician or will that be a downgrade to me?
I've a TQM certificate and half way to get my MBA from Edinburgh business school, but if I pick the scholarship option I will have to postpone the next semester.
Conjurer is offline  
Old Jul 10th 2009, 8:45 am
  #4  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 12
Kpax is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Scholarship or work?

Originally Posted by Shadya View Post
What is wrong with being a technician? After all, what managerial qualifications do you have?
Nice one Shadya.... tittles are just that, what matters is the extent of the package they are offering. Would it matter more if you were called ...... Focus on what matters fella, u are only starting out.
Kpax is offline  
Old Jul 10th 2009, 8:57 am
  #5  
BE Enthusiast
 
Euc-'s Avatar
 
Joined: May 2009
Posts: 857
Euc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Scholarship or work?

Just to get it straight though, are you an Egyptian resident or citizen?
Euc- is offline  
Old Jul 10th 2009, 9:27 am
  #6  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 5
Conjurer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Scholarship or work?

Originally Posted by Euc- View Post
Just to get it straight though, are you an Egyptian resident or citizen?
Get what straight? I'm an Egyptian resident with dual nationalities that I've got from my parents as they have different origins. and I believe that has nothing to do with my question
Conjurer is offline  
Old Jul 10th 2009, 9:34 am
  #7  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 12
Kpax is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Scholarship or work?

Originally Posted by Conjurer View Post
Get what straight? I'm an Egyptian resident with dual nationalities that I've got from my parents as they have different origins. and I believe that has nothing to do with my question
A bit of a tone there for someone asking for opinions and advice. Why did u mention it then in your little preamble, coz there is a distinction between resident and citizen so some people are curios and what to be sure. Thats the nature of the forum asking questions... if u dont mind
Kpax is offline  
Old Jul 10th 2009, 9:36 am
  #8  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 5
Conjurer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Scholarship or work?

Originally Posted by Kpax View Post
A bit of a tone there for someone asking for opinions and advice. Why did u mention it then in your little preamble, coz there is a distinction between resident and citizen so some people are curios and what to be sure. Thats the nature of the forum asking questions... if u dont mind
I'm new here and I was just seeking some opinions from people who are more experienced than me
Conjurer is offline  
Old Jul 10th 2009, 11:41 am
  #9  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Far from home!
Posts: 1,024
Jim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Scholarship or work?

Originally Posted by Conjurer View Post
I'm new here and I was just seeking some opinions from people who are more experienced than me
I am a Telecomms Eng, but my view for what is is worth, is get some "hands on" work experience under your belt, and on your CV. I wouldn't worry what they called you, could be a lot worse!
Jim Smith is offline  
Old Jul 10th 2009, 12:24 pm
  #10  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 5
Conjurer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Scholarship or work?

Originally Posted by Jim Smith View Post
I am a Telecomms Eng, but my view for what is is worth, is get some "hands on" work experience under your belt, and on your CV. I wouldn't worry what they called you, could be a lot worse!
Thanks, I appreciate your response
Conjurer is offline  
Old Jul 10th 2009, 2:15 pm
  #11  
BE Enthusiast
 
Euc-'s Avatar
 
Joined: May 2009
Posts: 857
Euc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Scholarship or work?

Originally Posted by Conjurer View Post
Get what straight? I'm an Egyptian resident with dual nationalities that I've got from my parents as they have different origins. and I believe that has nothing to do with my question
In Dubai it unfortunately does matter if you are British or Egyptian. But whatever.
Euc- is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.