British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Saudi work visa - age limit? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/saudi-work-visa-age-limit-870857/)

Victor Meldrew Jan 18th 2016 7:41 am

Saudi work visa - age limit?

Good Morning,

I have been given a verbal offer of a position in Saudi Arabia, 2 year contract, starting September 2016.

In April 2017 I will be 60 (partway through the first year of my contract).

I know that, in Dubai where I worked for 8 years, you can work beyond 60 but the visa situation changes to 1 year at a time.

What is the situation for over 60's in Saudi?

Thank You

sicklyman Jan 18th 2016 8:14 am

Re: Saudi work visa - age limit?

I believe it's the same as you experienced in Dubai although I'm not 100% sure on that.

There are over 60s here but some companies won't let you work beyond that as a direct hire and insist instead that you switch to a contractor company if they want you beyond 60.

nottmbantam Jan 18th 2016 1:10 pm

A lot of companies have switched to only issuing a one year Iqama ( Residency Permit ) , so you'll in theory be no different.

The only additional issue may be that you have to undergo a Medical Examination when it comes to the company renewing your Medical Insurance. Some of the insurance companies insist on this for the over 60's.

Johnnyboy11 Jan 18th 2016 2:20 pm

Public sector in Qatar gets rid of employees at age 60, but exceptions can be made on a yearly basis for key expat staff, but very rare to see an employee beyond 63.
The private sector has a lot more flexibility. I know lots of professional staff in their 60's and one in his early 70's (Construction site based too, and doing a fantastic job).

northbadawi Jan 19th 2016 12:13 pm

Public sector in Saudi gets rid of employees at age 60 Hijri ~58 Gregorian years and 75 days.

Victor Meldrew Jan 19th 2016 3:26 pm

Originally Posted by northbadawi (Post 11842054)
Public sector in Saudi gets rid of employees at age 60 Hijri ~58 Gregorian years and 75 days.

The position I have been offered is at a fee paying private school. I assume this is not classed as public sector?

scot47 Jan 19th 2016 3:48 pm

The Ministry of Education and Ministry of Labour will have a say - but it should be okay. My last job was with KFUPM which is a public sector university. I retired aged 64 but had colleagues aged 70+. Those over 60 were kept on subject to positive annual reports.

sicklyman Jan 20th 2016 8:05 am

Originally Posted by nottmbantam (Post 11841022)
A lot of companies have switched to only issuing a one year Iqama ( Residency Permit ) , so you'll in theory be no different.

From October last year iqamas are history and all are being phased out this year as they expire.

Now, it's a permit called Muqeem with a five year validity which is renewed by your company online annually. What happens to over 60s is an interesting question in light of this change.

Victor Meldrew Jan 29th 2016 2:28 pm

Originally Posted by sicklyman (Post 11842878)
From October last year iqamas are history and all are being phased out this year as they expire.

Now, it's a permit called Muqeem with a five year validity which is renewed by your company online annually. What happens to over 60s is an interesting question in light of this change.

So I have had the formal offer via email and sent copies of passport, certificates etc. Waiting for written/physical contract.

As I will be making a new application, does this mean I will be given a Muqeem?

sicklyman Jan 31st 2016 7:38 am

yes you should be as iqamas are no longer being issued.