Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Saudi visa issues for different race stepchild

Saudi visa issues for different race stepchild

Old Aug 17th 2012, 12:39 am
Just Joined

angryraisin is an unknown quantity at this point
Angry Saudi visa issues for different race stepchild

I'm a British national working and living in the eastern province of Saudi. My wife is a Chinese national. Apart from a 4 month wait, her visa was straightforward to obtain.

However, I have just had the visa denied for my stepson as I haven't 'proven the relationship' between me and him . I had the VAN issued no problem (after 3 months waiting) and my wife, in China, submitted all the required paperwork: My passport, her passport, Ex's passport, Ex's no objection letter, medical report, our marriage certificate.

The person said we need a "Guardian Certificate".

Does anyone know what this is exactly and how I might go about getting one?

I really wish they'd told us about this beforehand - it's so frustrating!

Any help would be most appreciated, cheers.
Old Aug 17th 2012, 4:59 am
womble

OriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Saudi visa issues for different race stepchild

Ah. Have you legally adopted him as your son?

That's the crux.

If not, then unfortunately they are right - if he is not legally adopted by you as his son, then there is no "relationship" legally speaking between the pair of you (and yes, I know there is a "relationship" between you two, but legal is what counts here).

And for once, I doubt it is about the race of any of you.
Old Aug 17th 2012, 8:40 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by angryraisin
I'm a British national working and living in the eastern province of Saudi. My wife is a Chinese national. Apart from a 4 month wait, her visa was straightforward to obtain.

However, I have just had the visa denied for my stepson as I haven't 'proven the relationship' between me and him . I had the VAN issued no problem (after 3 months waiting) and my wife, in China, submitted all the required paperwork: My passport, her passport, Ex's passport, Ex's no objection letter, medical report, our marriage certificate.

The person said we need a "Guardian Certificate".

Does anyone know what this is exactly and how I might go about getting one?

I really wish they'd told us about this beforehand - it's so frustrating!

Any help would be most appreciated, cheers.
welcome to BE with the visa issue, you need a no objection letter from the child's Father
Old Aug 17th 2012, 2:21 pm
Forum Regular

dragonladyoz is just really nicedragonladyoz is just really nicedragonladyoz is just really nicedragonladyoz is just really nicedragonladyoz is just really nicedragonladyoz is just really nicedragonladyoz is just really nicedragonladyoz is just really nicedragonladyoz is just really nicedragonladyoz is just really nicedragonladyoz is just really nice

Sounds like the Saudi government wants a piece of paper that legally shows you have guardianship of your step-son.... do you have any court documents (family court doc or child support document) that indicate that your stepson has you as a guardian or lives with you or is supported by you? Otherwise, maybe contact a solicitor or magistrate court and see if such a document can be issued.....

painful - but that's Saudi red tape - sometimes they want these things and sometimes they don't.
Old Aug 17th 2012, 2:54 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for all responses.

As stated we have the Ex's no objection letter. When the Saudi government was asked if I needed to adopt my stepson they said no. They issued the VAN with all the paperwork we had. Only the Saudi Embassy in Beijing is causing this problem.

When we got married we all lived together. It was not necessary to have any legal documents drawn up by Chinese law.

In British law and in Chinese law such a document does not exist - I've consulted lawyers on both fronts. To become a legal guardian in these two countries happens when the parents are not available for some reason, which is not the case here.

So I'm wondering how exactly you 'prove' that I am one of his guardians. The British Embassy in China offered to stamp a letter of declaration for me, but unfortunately I'm in the UK at present.

I'm sure someone else must have had this unfortunate experience, I'm just hoping someone can post advice here. Unfortunately the Saudi Embassy is closed now until the 27th August so I can't find out exactly what they're looking for

Stepchildren of fellow colleagues have gained visas in the past without this complication.
Old Aug 17th 2012, 3:34 pm
Token Scandinavian Bloke

norsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for all responses.

As stated we have the Ex's no objection letter. When the Saudi government was asked if I needed to adopt my stepson they said no. They issued the VAN with all the paperwork we had. Only the Saudi Embassy in Beijing is causing this problem.

When we got married we all lived together. It was not necessary to have any legal documents drawn up by Chinese law.

In British law and in Chinese law such a document does not exist - I've consulted lawyers on both fronts. To become a legal guardian in these two countries happens when the parents are not available for some reason, which is not the case here.

So I'm wondering how exactly you 'prove' that I am one of his guardians. The British Embassy in China offered to stamp a letter of declaration for me, but unfortunately I'm in the UK at present.

I'm sure someone else must have had this unfortunate experience, I'm just hoping someone can post advice here. Unfortunately the Saudi Embassy is closed now until the 27th August so I can't find out exactly what they're looking for

Stepchildren of fellow colleagues have gained visas in the past without this complication.
The problem has nothing to do with the Saudi government I don't think. The unfortunate thing about Saudi embassies is that they each have their own rules and couldn't give a toss about what their government says. In addition this means that what is required in country is not necessarily the same in other countries. One of the examples of this is the NOC letter from past employer which by all accounts is not legally required but a lot of the embassies still won't give you a visa without one...

Simple answer to your problem is live in Bahrain and commute. You're in Eastern Province right so should be possible I would have thought.
Old Aug 17th 2012, 4:44 pm
Just Joined

Commuting is not a possibility I'm afraid; my company won't allow it and that bridge can be a nightmare at times.

Dealing with Embassies has always been difficult. The Chinese was equally as frustrating in the past. These arbitrary decisions made by their employees can have such an impact on people's lives, yet they don't seem to care.

I don't mind the paperwork, but if you don't inform me till 3 months into a process that I require something else - that's just extracting the urine!

I live in hope, though my wife and stepson are quite distressed at the moment
Old Aug 17th 2012, 4:50 pm
womble

OriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sure someone else must have had this unfortunate experience, I'm just hoping someone can post advice here.
unlikely. it's a pretty unique situation.

Unfortunately the Saudi Embassy is closed now until the 27th August so I can't find out exactly what they're looking for
unfortunately it sounds like you will have to wait, so try to chill out

from China? or from different embassies? as mentioned by someone else, each embassy makes up its own rules
Old Aug 17th 2012, 5:12 pm
Token Scandinavian Bloke

norsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond repute

Commuting is not a possibility I'm afraid; my company won't allow it and that bridge can be a nightmare at times.

Dealing with Embassies has always been difficult. The Chinese was equally as frustrating in the past. These arbitrary decisions made by their employees can have such an impact on people's lives, yet they don't seem to care.

I don't mind the paperwork, but if you don't inform me till 3 months into a process that I require something else - that's just extracting the urine!

I live in hope, though my wife and stepson are quite distressed at the moment
Having done that commute for two years the 'nightmare at times' is restricted to maybe 6 weeks before Ramadan starts (at least when it's in the summer) and maybe one or two other days across the year. It's significantly better than commuting into London for example...

Of course if your company won't let you stay in Bahrain then it doesn't matter, but don't believe them if they justify their decision on the commute being bad....

Saudi is not just about red tape it is people wielding their power as desk jockeys on a regular basis. I got royally screwed upon leaving Saudi just because some people (even some that I trusted) knew I had no comeback at the time..
Old Aug 17th 2012, 7:26 pm
Forum Regular

dragonladyoz is just really nicedragonladyoz is just really nicedragonladyoz is just really nicedragonladyoz is just really nicedragonladyoz is just really nicedragonladyoz is just really nicedragonladyoz is just really nicedragonladyoz is just really nicedragonladyoz is just really nicedragonladyoz is just really nicedragonladyoz is just really nice

Sometimes the embassies are also restricted by the laws of the country in which they operate (not obviously the case here) but the embassy in our country required a document from the employer that no other person needed - but that is because our g'ment likes to ensure certain things so it doesn't have to bail too many people out and fly them home!

Heres hoping it is sorted out quickly for you after Eid!
Old Oct 27th 2012, 12:09 pm
Just Joined

Thumbs down Re: Saudi visa issues for different race stepchild

Ok. I thought I'd update the thread on the fiasco that has played out over several months:

Each time we came back to the Saudi Embassy in Beijing, they came up with another excuse requiring more paperwork. We provided everything each time. Always in Arabic and English with notarised translations, always government stamped. After the fourth time, they eventually said, and I quote "there is no reason for the child to travel to Saudi Arabia". They didn't even justify such an obtuse and arbitrary decision. I hope one day to meet the official who decided this in a dark alley...

So, that's it, no visa! My wife and stepson must remain in China. This is bad on many levels.

Through the help of my company I've applied again for a new VAN, this time we will try through the Saudi Embassy in the UK. This will involve a huge expense for flights and accommodation, completely negating the only reason we came to Saudi - to save! It will also take 2 - 3 months!

If this fails, I will resign and leave this hypocritical shit hole.

Well, that's it. My fingers are crossed so hard I have cramps!
Old Oct 27th 2012, 12:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Alexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond repute

Ok. I thought I'd update the thread on the fiasco that has played out over several months:

Each time we came back to the Saudi Embassy in Beijing, they came up with another excuse requiring more paperwork. We provided everything each time. Always in Arabic and English with notarised translations, always government stamped. After the fourth time, they eventually said, and I quote "there is no reason for the child to travel to Saudi Arabia". They didn't even justify such an obtuse and arbitrary decision. I hope one day to meet the official who decided this in a dark alley...

So, that's it, no visa! My wife and stepson must remain in China. This is bad on many levels.

Through the help of my company I've applied again for a new VAN, this time we will try through the Saudi Embassy in the UK. This will involve a huge expense for flights and accommodation, completely negating the only reason we came to Saudi - to save! It will also take 2 - 3 months!

You need somebody with "WASTA". Really, I am not joking. Somebody who is willing and powerful enough to make a phone call to sort this mess out. Ask and look around...somebody might know somebody who can and will do this for you.
I wish you the best of luck!
Old Oct 27th 2012, 1:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond repute

I'm very sorry to hear your problems, and share your bafflement at the " No need for the child to travel to Saudi " comment, which appears to show overt Saudi racism at its worst.
I do hope, for both you and your family that one way or another that your problems end sooner rather than later, even if it ends up with the resignation option.
I know it doesn't help you much, but good luck.

Last edited by OleJanx; Oct 27th 2012 at 1:28 pm. Reason: !
Old Mar 10th 2013, 1:11 pm
Just Joined

Thumbs down Re: Saudi visa issues for different race stepchild

It's now March. Still no stepson. My contract ends in November and I'm not going to renew it. Farce is not a strong enough word. I was hoping to have a positive update so that this thread could give advice/support to someone new to the country and in the same boat. My apologies - I failed...
Old Mar 10th 2013, 1:48 pm
womble

Sorry to hear.

Interesting though that you're not now resigning, and staying in for the money / end of contract bonus instead.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.