British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Saudi Visa issued but I want to change employers before getting there (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/saudi-visa-issued-but-i-want-change-employers-before-getting-there-812595/)

theorio Oct 19th 2013 10:16 am

Saudi Visa issued but I want to change employers before getting there

Hi,

I've recently had my Saudi visa issued for one company and I'm due to start in January. But, while my passport was away getting the visa issued another company offered me a much better job.

Can I decline the original company and get another visa issued to work for the other company?

Just to confirm, I haven't set foot in Saudi yet so my visa hasn't been used yet.

Any advice would be welcome.

nottmbantam Oct 19th 2013 12:43 pm

Re: Saudi Visa issued but I want to change employers before getting there

From my understanding of the Saudi system, the first company has 'used' up a visa, so can't imagine they will be too happy with you. From their perspective, that visa is now recorded with the Embassy under your name and passport number and as far as I know, it can't now be allocated to anyone else.

The second company will now have to use up one of their available visas to bring you into the country. Might be a few problems for you ahead.

Have you signed a contract of employment with the first company?

theorio Oct 19th 2013 1:38 pm

Originally Posted by nottmbantam (Post 10951512)
From my understanding of the Saudi system, the first company has 'used' up a visa, so can't imagine they will be too happy with you. From their perspective, that visa is now recorded with the Embassy under your name and passport number and as far as I know, it can't now be allocated to anyone else.

The second company will now have to use up one of their available visas to bring you into the country. Might be a few problems for you ahead.

Have you signed a contract of employment with the first company?

I haven't signed a contract yet, the original company were very slow issuing all the paperwork for the visa process. They finally came through when they realised my Visa Authorization Number was about to expire.

No doubt the first company will be annoyed, I'm thinking I should just honour my verbal agreement with them. Frustratingly for me though that would mean getting paid a lot less.

scot47 Oct 19th 2013 1:43 pm

They can make life difficult for you in KSA. The LEGAL requirement for a LONO (Letter of No Objection) has gone but Saudi employers often still practice this system (also called NOC - No Objection Certificate)

nonthaburi Oct 19th 2013 5:04 pm

I'm guessing you had to do a medical and everything to get the visa so the first company is now 600+ quid down. I would offer to pay the costs, lie to them about something having happened in the family, get them to cancel it and go with the other job on a new visa. Don't know if that would work.