British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Saudi visa: has something changed? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/saudi-visa-has-something-changed-691636/)

Bahtatboy Oct 31st 2010 1:20 pm

Saudi visa: has something changed?

Just got my fifth Saudi Visa (joy of joys): 90 days as the others, but bloody single entry, all the others were multiple. One colleague much the same, another (applying through London) had his refused twice.

We're all Brits. Is there something going on?

flares Oct 31st 2010 1:28 pm

Re: Saudi visa: has something changed?

and is the max stay 30 days?

I've been having all sorts of problems over the past few months. Single visit visas given when multiple applied for an paid for!! (i.e. give you a 200 SR stamp after taking 500 SR). There will come a time when I say fine and call it a day with our Saudi friends.

are you applying for 'work' or 'commercial' visa? The latter is much easier to get apparently.

Bahtatboy Oct 31st 2010 1:30 pm

Originally Posted by saudiflares (Post 8953061)
and is the max stay 30 days?

I've been having all sorts of problems over the past few months. Single visit visas given when multiple applied for an paid for!! (i.e. give you a 200 SR stamp after taking 500 SR). There will come a time when I say fine and call it a day with our Saudi friends.

are you applying for 'work' or 'commercial' visa? The latter is much easier to get apparently.

Yeah, 30 days. Don't know what was applied for (but same as before); states on visa "Not Permitted to Work", which means I can put my feet on the desk and drink sweet hot tea all day. I'll investigate further (but must have a cuppa first).

csdf Oct 31st 2010 2:28 pm

I got a 180-day multiple entry in August. Yay lucky me.

Bahtatboy Oct 31st 2010 3:18 pm

Originally Posted by csdf (Post 8953124)
I got a 180-day multiple entry in August. Yay lucky me.

I got a 90-day multiple in July, but this last month the tide seems to have turned. Could just be randomness playing itself out...

csdf Oct 31st 2010 3:28 pm

Are you applying via London or local embassy? That might also make a difference too.

Bahtatboy Oct 31st 2010 3:30 pm

Originally Posted by csdf (Post 8953189)
Are you applying via London or local embassy? That might also make a difference too.

The 2 of us who've got single entries have both applied in the UAE, as before. As far as we're aware we're not doing anything differently.

The guy whose having difficulty getting anything is applying in London.

norsk Oct 31st 2010 6:22 pm

no change to the visa rules that i'm aware of, but hajj normally puts a spanner in the works so maybe it's just a timing issue.

Desert Shaikh Oct 31st 2010 11:07 pm

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy (Post 8953047)
Just got my fifth Saudi Visa (joy of joys): 90 days as the others, but bloody single entry, all the others were multiple. One colleague much the same, another (applying through London) had his refused twice.

We're all Brits. Is there something going on?

I think this might be down to the Hajj season, where the Embassy maybe in a rush to process as much visas as possible. Hence overlooking the multiple entry stamps etc...

flares Nov 1st 2010 12:46 am

Originally Posted by Desert Shaikh (Post 8953722)
I think this might be down to the Hajj season, where the Embassy maybe in a rush to process as much visas as possible. Hence overlooking the multiple entry stamps etc...

I was having issues well before Hajj season. Maybe there's a threshold for no. of multiples you can get before their suspicions raised

norsk Nov 1st 2010 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by saudiflares (Post 8953819)
I was having issues well before Hajj season. Maybe there's a threshold for no. of multiples you can get before their suspicions raised

to be fair it should be you (as the person who has to endure the place) who sets that limit rather than them but hey ho..:p

The Dean Nov 2nd 2010 5:58 am

Not sure if it's relevant in your cases, but there's a new (and rather confusing) rule about your profession and who is sponsoring you (or what sort of firm you are visiting).

As my Riyadh-based mate put it: "A toilet roll salesman cannot visit a bank to sell toilet rolls to them, because they are a bank but HE isn't a banker".

coffindodger Nov 2nd 2010 8:10 am

This follows on from the xxx amount of brain dead yokel muppets you need withi your company rule.
Now companies must have an xxx % of yokels to expats,
If they the company fail to meet this requirement then they do not get any exit / re entry visa for that company.

NaimTakieddin Nov 2nd 2010 9:35 am

hmmmm, not only do Brit`s encounter this kind of visas processing but also all other foreigners equally. I read all the contributions uphere so every given example has a match in my mind. Anyhow, all embassies all around the world without any exception do follow bizzard uncomprehendable guidelines when processing for foreigners entries to their homeland, usually attributted to (current discretions ) which are not to be revealed..nor to be questioned

Do not lament though ...all is normal taking into account what is going on in the arena.............

typical Nov 2nd 2010 10:08 am

Originally Posted by saudiflares (Post 8953819)
Maybe there's a threshold for no. of multiples you can get before their suspicions raised

I've had nine so far.

My wife has had far more. Fnarr.