Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Saudi to UK VOIP/whatsapp - allowed ?

Saudi to UK VOIP/whatsapp - allowed ?

Old Jun 14th 2013, 3:34 pm
Just Joined

andyox is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Saudi to UK VOIP/whatsapp - allowed ?

Hi,
Is it legal and possible to skype from Saudi to the UK ?
I've read various article recently that it may be (already?) banned ?

Also, if using a service such as whatsapp, does the content need to abide by local laws, e.g. could you whatsapp text someone in the UK saying 'romantic' things or would that fall foul of the Saudi Laws if you were not married?

Just don't want to get on the wrong side of things over there

Cheers

A.
Old Jun 14th 2013, 4:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Beakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Saudi to UK VOIP/whatsapp - allowed ?

Good question. I guess wherever you are round the world it's a good policy to never write down anything you wouldn't want someone else reading. I regard VOIP as more 'difficult' to intercept and scan, in that a single human (or a cray) would have to translate/examine your spoken words.

Of course, there are ways to connect directly to servers in the UK, and then bounce from there to the listener.
Old Jun 14th 2013, 4:59 pm
Forum Regular

expathopeful has a brilliant futureexpathopeful has a brilliant futureexpathopeful has a brilliant futureexpathopeful has a brilliant futureexpathopeful has a brilliant futureexpathopeful has a brilliant futureexpathopeful has a brilliant future

I had a similar problem here in Abu Dhabi. I didn't have the skype programme on my laptop and tried to download it here and I couldnt. I kept on getting a "BANNED SITE" page. So i had to Hide My Ass/IP and download it. Works fine now, and whatsapp works ok on my phone too.

Can anyone answer why Facetime is banned and is there a way around that?
Old Jun 14th 2013, 5:39 pm
UK

RJB123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Was working in Riyadh up until 2 months ago and Facetime worked fine on an iPad bought outside of Saudi as did Skype and Whatsapp. Units sold in Saudi have Facetime disabled and as far as I am aware it is not possible to modify them so that Facetime works.
Old Jun 14th 2013, 7:54 pm

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

Can still Skype here but they stopped Viber recently.
Old Jun 15th 2013, 5:34 am

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

this gives up to date info : http://www.arabnews.com/news/454997
Old Jun 17th 2013, 12:07 am
Forum Regular

Hippacrocapig will become famous soon enoughHippacrocapig will become famous soon enough

Get a VPN viber works then. What's app, Skype and FaceTime still going string for now!
Old Jun 17th 2013, 8:44 am
BE Enthusiast

MaserMan is an unknown quantity at this point

You can get Facetime to work very easily, just jailbreak the device and there is a patch you then apply that gets Facetime up and running again.