Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Saudi probation period

Saudi probation period

Old Apr 4th 2009, 8:50 am
Just Joined

the duke of balfour is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Saudi probation period

Can anyone shed some light on the following. I have recently started a job in Saudi with a 3 month probation period in my letter of appointment. Next week I will be making the trip back to the UK to return on a work/residence visa.
My question is, am I still able to leave this company within the remaining probation period and join another Saudi company without any hassle(i.e needing an NOC) or does the residence visa tie me to my current company and as good as end the probation period?

Any help on this would be appreciated
Old Apr 4th 2009, 9:19 am

still.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Saudi probation period

Originally Posted by the duke of balfour
Can anyone shed some light on the following. I have recently started a job in Saudi with a 3 month probation period in my letter of appointment. Next week I will be making the trip back to the UK to return on a work/residence visa.
My question is, am I still able to leave this company within the remaining probation period and join another Saudi company without any hassle(i.e needing an NOC) or does the residence visa tie me to my current company and as good as end the probation period?

your iqama (residence visa) ties you to your sponsoring company (there's a special one that doesn't, can't remember the exact terminology, but it's a rareity anyway). if you're thinking of moving company's, get them to get you a new visa once your current one expires. i don't think a company can put an objection on an expired visa, but they can on a current one.
Old Apr 4th 2009, 11:02 am
Account Closed

Shadya is an unknown quantity at this point

If your Saudi sponsors have gone to the trouble of getting you the necessary visa etc. don't you feel a tiny bit disloyal in wanting to move so soon? Some might say that its fickle people like you who cause problems for other expats who really want to stay.
Old Apr 4th 2009, 11:16 am

still.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Shadya
If your Saudi sponsors have gone to the trouble of getting you the necessary visa etc. don't you feel a tiny bit disloyal in wanting to move so soon? Some might say that its fickle people like you who cause problems for other expats who really want to stay.
ouch! that's a bit rough! don't you want to know a little more about the particular circumstances before passing judgement? (what the current job is like, the individuals family/other status, any other reasons for looking, etc.)
Old Apr 4th 2009, 11:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

If you are still "working on" your residence visa, that means you haven't got an iqama yet, so you may find things slightly easier.

If you don't mind me asking............ what's the problem with the current employer? How long have you actually been working for them?
Old Apr 4th 2009, 12:38 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by The Dean
If you are still "working on" your residence visa, that means you haven't got an iqama yet, so you may find things slightly easier.

If you don't mind me asking............ what's the problem with the current employer? How long have you actually been working for them?
Another option that didn't happen in time may now happen but not before i've come back on a res. visa - can't really go into anymore detail than that, but what's the process after I come back, how long have I got before the iqama comes along?
Old Apr 4th 2009, 12:41 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Shadya
No I want to stay, the other option is also here, but it considerably better
Old Apr 4th 2009, 12:51 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by still.unsure
ouch! that's a bit rough! don't you want to know a little more about the particular circumstances before passing judgement? (what the current job is like, the individuals family/other status, any other reasons for looking, etc.)
That's ok, people can have there opinions, but when all is done all I want is any guidance on my original question, if anyone has any previous knowledge.
The fact is that I am 10 days into a 3 month probation period and will still be in a probation period whether no matter what visa I'm on, for the next 2 months and twenty days. So can't I move on to another local company during this period whatever? That's what a probation period is for isn't it?
Old Apr 4th 2009, 1:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Vimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond repute

Once you get your residence visa stamped in your passport at the consulate and return to Saudi your passport will be taken away from you by the PRO, then your Iqama card will be issued (within 10-14 days), if your company have applied for a multiple exit/reentry visa your passport will be possibly returned to you.
As soon as your visa is stamped in your passport in the consulate and you return to saudi your probationary period has basically expired, your employer can still invoke his interpretation of the probationary period.

While you are on your initial business/visit visa you are free to change your mind who you work for by leaving the country and coming back on another business/visit visa sponsored by another company.
But once you return to Saudi and the Iqama process starts, you will need a NOC from your employer to change jobs, if it is too soon after the start of employment he can possibly withhold salary to cover his costs and not obtain an exit only visa for you to enable you to leave the country until he feels ready to release you.
Old Apr 4th 2009, 3:03 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Vimto
Once you get your residence visa stamped in your passport at the consulate and return to Saudi your passport will be taken away from you by the PRO, then your Iqama card will be issued (within 10-14 days), if your company have applied for a multiple exit/reentry visa your passport will be possibly returned to you.
As soon as your visa is stamped in your passport in the consulate and you return to saudi your probationary period has basically expired, your employer can still invoke his interpretation of the probationary period.

While you are on your initial business/visit visa you are free to change your mind who you work for by leaving the country and coming back on another business/visit visa sponsored by another company.
But once you return to Saudi and the Iqama process starts, you will need a NOC from your employer to change jobs, if it is too soon after the start of employment he can possibly withhold salary to cover his costs and not obtain an exit only visa for you to enable you to leave the country until he feels ready to release you.
Thanks for that.

So if I want to use the probation period to my benefit I need to resist leaving and thereby delay the residence visa/iqama process from getting underway.

mmm tricky.