Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Saudi, mobile data plans, and whatsapp

Saudi, mobile data plans, and whatsapp

Old Aug 19th 2013, 9:05 am
Just Joined

littlemissbritish is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Saudi, mobile data plans, and whatsapp

About to move to the kingdom, and wondered if anyone had any advice on mobile data plans? which is the best network etc, and how to go about it.

Also, is there any truth to the rumours about whatsapp and it being banned any time soon? Would seriously mess up plans on keeping in touch with everyone back home.

Thanks a lot!
Old Aug 19th 2013, 12:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

flares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Saudi, mobile data plans, and whatsapp

It's basically a carve up between Mobily and STC.

Not sure about the whatsapp. Has been working OK.

If you do pay as you go, 300SR will get you 333SR credit.

Also internet through the dongle. SR 99 a week, SR 300 a month are normal but I got 6 months for SR 600.

Both cos adverising heavily at the headline La Liga games last night STC (Real Madrid) and Mobily (Barca).
Old Aug 19th 2013, 8:53 pm
Just Joined

DM1966 is an unknown quantity at this point

WhatsApp is fine but Viber has been blocked. Only accessible now through a Vee Pee N!
Old Aug 19th 2013, 11:47 pm
Just Joined

GB_ME is an unknown quantity at this point

Are there any other websites/apps which are blocked?

Like are Facebook and Twitter accessible?
Old Aug 20th 2013, 2:11 am
BE Forum Addict

flares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GB_ME
Like are Facebook and Twitter accessible?
Yep. Twitter is part owned by Saudi Prince Talal I think.
Old Aug 20th 2013, 11:13 am
Forum Regular

dragonladyoz is just really nicedragonladyoz is just really nicedragonladyoz is just really nicedragonladyoz is just really nicedragonladyoz is just really nicedragonladyoz is just really nicedragonladyoz is just really nicedragonladyoz is just really nicedragonladyoz is just really nicedragonladyoz is just really nicedragonladyoz is just really nice

Saudi apparently has the highest pop% usage of social media in the world - so twitter and facebook are alive and well!
Old Aug 20th 2013, 4:25 pm
Just Joined

GB_ME is an unknown quantity at this point

That's good to know! Cheers guys.

Just out of interest (and kind of related!) How easy is it to sort out a mobile over there....is it easy enough to get a contract if you're s foreigner only there for a year?
Old Aug 21st 2013, 1:58 pm
Just Joined

mub786 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by GB_ME
That's good to know! Cheers guys.

Just out of interest (and kind of related!) How easy is it to sort out a mobile over there....is it easy enough to get a contract if you're s foreigner only there for a year?
you can get mobile on contract as long you have you IQAMA and i think u have to be in country for 3 months.
Old Aug 22nd 2013, 5:52 pm
Just Joined

littlemissbritish is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks guys! Guess would just have to get a pay as you go for the time being then
Old Aug 26th 2013, 7:15 am
Just Joined

Jamesdavid is an unknown quantity at this point

The service of Mobily is very good.
Old Aug 26th 2013, 4:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

sicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mub786
you can get mobile on contract as long you have you IQAMA and i think u have to be in country for 3 months.
no time limit stipulation. As long as you have an iqama, they don't ask how long you've been in country.
Old Sep 19th 2013, 9:22 am
Just Joined

axellucas is an unknown quantity at this point

In neighbouring UAE, most Skype applications and Viber are blocked but no issues WhatsApp messenger, twitter and other social media networks.
Recently I heard about an chat messenger PinMSg which is going to be launch soon especially in UAE along with other major countries of the world, which have very high security features that prevents adding unwanted users in your chat list and many more......
Old Sep 19th 2013, 9:25 am
Just Joined

axellucas is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Saudi, mobile data plans, and whatsapp

In neighbouring UAE, most Skype applications and Viber are blocked but no issues WhatsApp messenger, twitter and other social media networks.
Recently I heard about an chat messenger PinMSg which is going to be launch soon especially in UAE along with other major countries of the world, which have very high security features that prevents adding unwanted users in your chat list and many more......
Old Sep 19th 2013, 3:02 pm

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

Yahoo has got an instant message service as well as video calling. .
Old Sep 19th 2013, 7:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

nottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond repute

Yup, I had a Mobily pay as you go for quite a while. You can add as much credit as you wish to - the more you buy - the longer it becomes valid for. THey also have internet bundles, used to be 100 SR per month for 1gb, but I think that now gone up to 2gb. Just activate it through your handset, self service menu.

Most shops will sell top up cards in various denominations, if you're bringing out your own phone, just make sure it's unlocked and you can pop in a Saudi sim. You will need an Iqama to get a sim though.

WhatsApp works fine, as does iMessage, Skype, Twitter and FB.

I'm currently on STC pay monthly - very god 3G coverage across Riyadh, and both Mobily and STC are a pretty good service.

I have Mobily broadband at home, in comparison to the UK, it tends to cost more I think. 2MB speed is 199 SR per month or 399 for three months.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.