British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   a Saudi Man Like to Get to Know you in Riyadh... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/saudi-man-like-get-know-you-riyadh-686245/)

Abdul Sep 20th 2010 8:40 pm

a Saudi Man Like to Get to Know you in Riyadh...

Hi there,

My name is Abdul. I am a Saudi man and have just gotten back from the U.K after I pursued my Master degree in Journalism from Sheffield. My life abroad made me interested in meeting new international people, but who live in my city this time.

Please feel free to contact me if you like to meet up on a cup of tea or anything you need to know or to do. I have my own car, so I can pick you up if you need to.

Cheers,

Abdul
Riyadh

weasel central Sep 20th 2010 9:19 pm

Re: a Saudi Man Like to Get to Know you in Riyadh...

...nothing like an absolute stranger picking you up in his car....:eek:

edit to say :speaking of other people concerned with their members I just broke through the new member to member barrier

Abdul Sep 20th 2010 9:44 pm

I believe we use this website to meet NEW not stranger people .. don't we?.

What a shame if people come and leave without making local friends. However, I am here to make myself available to anyone who is interested in meeting me as a Saudi man, aged 28, who was educated in Britain as I am interested in meeting British and other international people, to keep enjoying the same thing that I used to have when I was a student in Sheffield.

Kind regards,

Victor Meldrew Sep 21st 2010 2:31 am

and if a female member from this forum meets up with you, and goes with you in your car, and is then stopped by the police? what next?

coffindodger Sep 21st 2010 5:01 am

Originally Posted by Victor Meldrew (Post 8863594)
and if a female member from this forum meets up with you, and goes with you in your car, and is then stopped by the police? what next?

Straight to Jail , Do Not collect 200 Riyals and do'nt pass go

weasel central Sep 21st 2010 6:58 am

not to totally hijack your thread but.....

on a similar note I too am keen to meet some women in Riyadh, I'd like to explore your culture ..:eek:

I also have a car and one spectacularly bad driver who makes even the most mundane trip to the shops a life altering experience..:ohmy:

norsk Sep 21st 2010 7:08 am

Originally Posted by Victor Meldrew (Post 8863594)

To be fair to the OP he never actually mentioned anything about women.

Don't be so cynical guys! There are plenty of nice people in Saudi who are genuinely interested in getting to know expats. Granted most Saudis don't "advertise" on forums, but unless they work with westerners it's not easy. And also westerners tend to be pretty unapproachable at work (there are obviously exceptions) especially if meeting someone outside of work is mentioned.

[crawling back under rock...]

Shehryar Sep 21st 2010 7:24 am

Originally Posted by norsk (Post 8863939)

Don't be so cynical guys! There are plenty of nice people in Saudi who are genuinely interested in getting to know expats. Granted most Saudis don't "advertise" on forums, but unless they work with westerners it's not easy. And also westerners tend to be pretty unapproachable at work (there are obviously exceptions) especially if meeting someone outside of work is mentioned.

Great post! :) Karma on its way.... :thumbup:

Abdul Sep 21st 2010 7:35 am

Thanks for everyone participated in my thread. I am not mentioning anything regarding the gender. I am only a new "returner" to Riyadh after a rich experience abroad, where I could integrate with both local and international people. I am eager to keep that while I am in the Capital of Saudi Arabia.

I don't understand why few people seem to be worried that much of meeting new people or getting to know people online.

If you like you can be in touch with me via Facebook for example..

Please feel free to contact me via a privet message for any inquiry,,

Cheers,

Shehryar Sep 21st 2010 8:09 am

Originally Posted by Abdul (Post 8863979)
I don't understand why few people seem to be worried that much of meeting new people or getting to know people online.

Because the internet is full of weirdos? :)

Of course, the loners or the psychos are probably only a tiny minority, but you can't blame people for being wary.

Plus, most people prefer to preserve their anonymity on the net, especially in this part of the world; meet-ups with strangers kinda defeats that.

Abdul Sep 21st 2010 1:12 pm

It is up to everyone really ..

btw, how to edit the title?. I should have written likeS not likE !! I dropped the S undeliberately.

Victor Meldrew Sep 21st 2010 1:25 pm

Abdul, to clarify, is your thread aimed at only men, or also at women?

Victor Meldrew Sep 21st 2010 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by norsk (Post 8863939)

Which is why I worded it like I did 'If a female...' as I was presuming he might be opening his question to both genders. I wasn't being cynical, just asking for clarification as it would be very risky for a female expat in Riyadh to be out with a male Saudi national.

I have lived in Riyadh and met a number of locals who were very welcoming and pleasant

Abdul Sep 21st 2010 2:31 pm

Re: a Saudi Man Likes to Get to Know you in Riyadh...

It is a good question. It is an invention to both,, men and women. Not necessarily always to meet up on a cup of tea. It could be for any help any one of you need. For example, you may face a communicating issue with a local seller and you want to ask him for an item or something, you can phone me to interpret your inquiry.

Please let me know if you still like to meet local people, or need anything that I can do for you, because I am interested in being in touch with international people in Saudi Arabia.

Norm_uk Sep 21st 2010 2:35 pm

Originally Posted by Victor Meldrew (Post 8864912)
Which is why I worded it like I did 'If a female...' as I was presuming he might be opening his question to both genders. I wasn't being cynical, just asking for clarification as it would be very risky for a female expat in Riyadh to be out with a male Saudi national.

I have lived in Riyadh and met a number of locals who were very welcoming and pleasant

It would be risky for any woman in Riyadh to be seen outside with any man she is not married or related to...

N.