Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Saudi - just out of interest....

Saudi - just out of interest....

Old Jun 2nd 2008, 7:32 am
why ayeeeee man!

Spugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Saudi - just out of interest....

...ok i've heard nothing but horror stories for years about Saudi, hands and heads chopped off etc, I've never been so don't claim to know anything about the place, but it does sound like somewhere I never want to go,

So why are you some of you living there? can you tell me what its like? Is it a bad place to live? are you just there for the money?

I'm really asking UK ex pats to be honest, as it seems a scary place to go and live.
Old Jun 2nd 2008, 8:43 am
BE Forum Addict

admon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Saudi - just out of interest....

Originally Posted by Spugsy
...ok i've heard nothing but horror stories for years about Saudi, hands and heads chopped off etc, I've never been so don't claim to know anything about the place, but it does sound like somewhere I never want to go,

So why are you some of you living there? can you tell me what its like? Is it a bad place to live? are you just there for the money?

I'm really asking UK ex pats to be honest, as it seems a scary place to go and live.
No experience myself, but I am sure there are many aspects that are startlingly similar in the UAE.
Old Jun 2nd 2008, 8:51 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

My family and I preferred compound living in Jeddah to the conditions here, but maybe we were just lucky. Was there for eight years, including 9/11.
Old Jun 2nd 2008, 9:03 am
BE Forum Addict

admon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lionheart
My family and I preferred compound living in Jeddah to the conditions here, but maybe we were just lucky. Was there for eight years, including 9/11.
Hi LH, Not having a go (for a change)..
would you elaborate on what you preferred better there? Just interested to know..
Old Jun 2nd 2008, 9:20 am
Not an evil hypnotist

typical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond repute

I 'live' in Dubai but almost since I've arrived I've been working on projects in Saudi and flying back at weekends.

Dubai is a paean to money-making. Saudi has a whole different set of problems to deal with, and is undertaking some impressive initiatives to tackle them - that's why I'm here.

I still have two hands and one head. In Riyadh, Jeddah and even the small villages and service stations on the Dammam / Riyadh road, I've never felt unsafe or threatened. I do find it stifling having to plan meals around prayer times, filling my evenings with crap TV or more work, and being aware of potential dangers that I can't quantify that easily. I hate not being able to go running outside (combination of heat and inability to show enough bare flesh to keep cool). I miss beer, but I don't find any need to make up for a lack of it during Dubai weekends.
Old Jun 2nd 2008, 3:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

coffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond repute

hi i am in sunny taif up in the mountains about 1 hour from mekka its self and about 2.5 hrs drive from jeddah by the sea.
here its like the hill billies town, so many stupid, thick and lazy yokels, driving is fun !!!
i am so glad we dont have the humidity here likes of jeddah etc.
other wise life is quite and sleepppyyyyyyy.
yes it is a pain to plan every thing round prayer time . eg shopping and eating out. but hey its there football game.
and if we look at it in another angle there will always be jobs here in the costa del sand pit, because as i said these are mostly thick, stupid and lazy people.
they have the cheek to call the indians, pakistani , phillipinios, etc
t.c.n.
third country nationals ha ha
most of the pi lads i work with have more brains and common sense than all the yokels put together, still it is the black stuff that keeps these folk in a living.
i hate to think what will happen when this black gold dries up and all the expats go home !!!! ha ha
Old Jun 2nd 2008, 6:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Saudi is fine, by and large. The doom and gloom stories are mostly out of date now – and I have not the slightest doubt that, for the first time I can ever recall, there is more of a free press in Saudi than in Dubai now.
The bad guys have mostly been rounded up – rewards of up to USD 100k for ‘information’ didn’t do any harm in this respect.
The dreaded ‘muttawa’ seem virtually to have disappeared. Women are enjoying a far higher level of freedom than I have ever known (even Saudi women in shopping malls are walking around with heads uncovered). Still no sign (officially at least) of a relaxing of the ban on women driving (although you keep hearing stories like ‘women are driving in such-and-such a region but the police turn a blind eye’ etc).
Shops closing for prayers are something you never really get used to – especially as it’s at different times every day. Definitely a burden on Saudi GDP but the religious considerations seem to hold sway on that point.
Officially the death penalty still applies but executions are said to be well down on last year. There is a common sense approach to things like smuggling banned substances too – the locals here could hardly believe the arrests reported recently in Dubai (speck of cannabis on sole of shoe, etc) – here the nice man at customs would have joked about it and sent you on your way.
Lashes for ‘social offences’ do seem to be on the increase however, although for some reason that seems to be more of an issue in the Western region (Jeddah, Mecca, Medina, etc) than anywhere else. Starbucks branches seem especially to be a target (see several threads in recent weeks).
The best bonus from my point of view though is the work itself – not just the money (think London-ish, but tax-free) but the work ethic of the locals. They work far harder, and are more motivated and better qualified than any other GCC locals I’ve worked with – and they genuinely respect your Western expertise.
My contract here runs until August, but if they ask me to stay on longer it will be hard to say no.
Old Jun 2nd 2008, 6:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Dean
Saudi is fine, by and large. The doom and gloom stories are mostly out of date now – and I have not the slightest doubt that, for the first time I can ever recall, there is more of a free press in Saudi than in Dubai now.
The bad guys have mostly been rounded up – rewards of up to USD 100k for ‘information’ didn’t do any harm in this respect.
The dreaded ‘muttawa’ seem virtually to have disappeared. Women are enjoying a far higher level of freedom than I have ever known (even Saudi women in shopping malls are walking around with heads uncovered). Still no sign (officially at least) of a relaxing of the ban on women driving (although you keep hearing stories like ‘women are driving in such-and-such a region but the police turn a blind eye’ etc).
Shops closing for prayers are something you never really get used to – especially as it’s at different times every day. Definitely a burden on Saudi GDP but the religious considerations seem to hold sway on that point.
Officially the death penalty still applies but executions are said to be well down on last year. There is a common sense approach to things like smuggling banned substances too – the locals here could hardly believe the arrests reported recently in Dubai (speck of cannabis on sole of shoe, etc) – here the nice man at customs would have joked about it and sent you on your way.
Lashes for ‘social offences’ do seem to be on the increase however, although for some reason that seems to be more of an issue in the Western region (Jeddah, Mecca, Medina, etc) than anywhere else. Starbucks branches seem especially to be a target (see several threads in recent weeks).
The best bonus from my point of view though is the work itself – not just the money (think London-ish, but tax-free) but the work ethic of the locals. They work far harder, and are more motivated and better qualified than any other GCC locals I’ve worked with – and they genuinely respect your Western expertise.
My contract here runs until August, but if they ask me to stay on longer it will be hard to say no.
lovely you wrote all this, but spugsy is banned...no idea for how long...so he might not be able to read your words of wisdom...

MM, xx
Old Jun 2nd 2008, 8:27 pm
Forum Regular

Ahmadj is just really niceAhmadj is just really niceAhmadj is just really niceAhmadj is just really niceAhmadj is just really niceAhmadj is just really niceAhmadj is just really niceAhmadj is just really niceAhmadj is just really nice

Hello everyone

My name is Ahmad, I am Palestinian Arab, born and raised in Saudi Arabia, but I am not a Saudi a citizen. I would like to share my thoughts with you about the matter.

Starting with jobs, I would say that jobs are good in general, but in most of the cases, they lack the balance in salaries. Actually, salary is based on nationality. Indians are not paid very well here, but they seem happy about it because they never forget the currency at their home. They convert Riyals to their Rubbies and look at the amount as huge. I am an engineer with less than two years of working experience, and I get paid as twice as much as my 8 years Indian co worker gets. And then, if I compare myself to Saudis, I realize that I get what equals only a half of their salary. Saudis by their turn see Westerns as getting paid way too much. I don't know if this system is right, you can tell. But I understand that in order to bring a Western expert and tell him to give up alcohol, night clubs, ladies, and all the funny stuff, you need to pay him well.

As for safety, I think westerns are not really under threat, I knew some westerns who worked for Aramco, and they seemed to be having a very normal life, they even had drinks inside Aramco camp.

Prayer times, even though I am a Muslim, I am totally against what they are doing now. Prayer should never be by force, Quran never said that you have to close you shop and go to prayer. However, it looks like this will be cancelled soon.

Saudis are not stupid or lazy, they are just normal.

The only bad thing here, in my opinion, is their strict citizenship system. I am a refugee, and I really need a passport and an embassy to protect me, but Saudis didn't give me that. This is why I am looking for a move to OZ or NZ, so I will have a place to call home.

I think Saudi Arabia is a good place to live in, except for the WEATHER
Old Jun 3rd 2008, 3:56 am
BE Forum Addict

jvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ahmadj
Hello everyone

My name is Ahmad, I am Palestinian Arab, born and raised in Saudi Arabia, but I am not a Saudi a citizen. I would like to share my thoughts with you about the matter.

Starting with jobs, I would say that jobs are good in general, but in most of the cases, they lack the balance in salaries. Actually, salary is based on nationality. Indians are not paid very well here, but they seem happy about it because they never forget the currency at their home. They convert Riyals to their Rubbies and look at the amount as huge. I am an engineer with less than two years of working experience, and I get paid as twice as much as my 8 years Indian co worker gets. And then, if I compare myself to Saudis, I realize that I get what equals only a half of their salary. Saudis by their turn see Westerns as getting paid way too much. I don't know if this system is right, you can tell. But I understand that in order to bring a Western expert and tell him to give up alcohol, night clubs, ladies, and all the funny stuff, you need to pay him well.

As for safety, I think westerns are not really under threat, I knew some westerns who worked for Aramco, and they seemed to be having a very normal life, they even had drinks inside Aramco camp.

Prayer times, even though I am a Muslim, I am totally against what they are doing now. Prayer should never be by force, Quran never said that you have to close you shop and go to prayer. However, it looks like this will be cancelled soon.

The only bad thing here, in my opinion, is their strict citizenship system. I am a refugee, and I really need a passport and an embassy to protect me, but Saudis didn't give me that. This is why I am looking for a move to OZ or NZ, so I will have a place to call home.

Ahmad, shukran - a really nice perspective.
Old Jun 3rd 2008, 6:36 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by admon
Hi LH, Not having a go (for a change)..
would you elaborate on what you preferred better there? Just interested to know..
On my compound of 200 villas in Jeddah it was mainly occupied by Europeans, Japanese, Koreans and Lebanese, the wives could safely stroll around in hot pants and bikini tops, the kids nursery was on site, plenty of housemaids, they had six swimming pools (compared with none for us here), subsidised restaurant, well attended community events and parties, free squash and tennis courts, golfing range, library, bridge club, snooker hall, many kids playgrounds and simply a great community spirit...where I live here, we are surrounded by high concrete walls and know few neighbours with a noisy mosque directly opposite. Then there is the construction noise here, horrendous traffic, impossible parking... bla bla bla.
Old Jun 3rd 2008, 6:42 am
BE Forum Addict

On my compound of 200 villas in Jeddah it was mainly occupied by Europeans, Japanese, Koreans and Lebanese, the wives could safely stroll around in hot pants and bikini tops, the kids nursery was on site, plenty of housemaids, they had six swimming pools (compared with none for us here), subsidised restaurant, well attended community events and parties, free squash and tennis courts, golfing range, library, bridge club, snooker hall, many kids playgrounds and simply a great community spirit...where I live here, we are surrounded by high concrete walls and know few neighbours with a noisy mosque directly opposite. Then there is the construction noise here, horrendous traffic, impossible parking... bla bla bla.
sounds like a club med resort..
Old Jun 3rd 2008, 6:45 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by admon
sounds like a club med resort..
And we paid SR87,500 pa for a two storey villa...the only drawback was the armoured vehicles and machine guns posted at each entrance
Old Jun 3rd 2008, 6:47 am
BE Forum Addict

And we paid SR87,500 pa for a two storey villa...the only drawback was the armoured vehicles and machine guns posted at each entrance
a club med resort in gaza then...
Old Jun 3rd 2008, 11:12 am
why ayeeeee man!

Spugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ahmadj
Hello everyone

wow, what a rather lovely post.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.