British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Saudi...Jabs? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/saudi-jabs-480264/)

reecefam Sep 10th 2007 6:40 pm

Saudi...Jabs?

Hi...can anyone tell me whether you need any innoculations for living in Riyadh???

oktoberon Sep 10th 2007 6:43 pm

Re: Saudi...Jabs?

Originally Posted by reecefam (Post 5295337)
Hi...can anyone tell me whether you need any innoculations for living in Riyadh???

Don't think so but The Dean should know....

The Dean Sep 10th 2007 7:35 pm

Only the normal stuff you would use anywhere mildly tropical.......... Riyadh is in the middle of a desert so it's zero humidity (so no mosquitos, just mosques). Nothing much survives except flies.....

........although they found some yellow fever in the south-west mountains a while back but apart from that I think you're OK. A large injection of vodka may be a good idea to keep you going........

I go to Africa a lot (or I used to) so I'm full of anti-cholera anti-typhoid etc etc so I never stop to worry about it.

The school of oriental and tropical medicine (or something like that - it's part of London Univ) has a good website with up-to-date info if you can find that).

reecefam Sep 10th 2007 7:39 pm

Originally Posted by The Dean (Post 5295536)
Only the normal stuff you would use anywhere mildly tropical.......... Riyadh is in the middle of a desert so it's zero humidity (so no mosquitos, just mosques). Nothing much survives except flies.....

........although they found some yellow fever in the south-west mountains a while back but apart from that I think you're OK. A large injection of vodka may be a good idea to keep you going........

I go to Africa a lot (or I used to) so I'm full of anti-cholera anti-typhoid etc etc so I never stop to worry about it.

The school of oriental and tropical medicine (or something like that - it's part of London Univ) has a good website with up-to-date info if you can find that).

Brill...thanks a lot...

lionheart Sep 11th 2007 4:26 am

Only an injection of ecstasy to keep you sane...actually, it's not that bad unless you are a female motorist who loves discos, then you are stuck.

Meow Sep 11th 2007 8:54 am

Tetanus. Everybody should keep that up to date, especially if you have pets.

Amazing Grace Sep 11th 2007 8:56 am

When we went to Saudi we had Hep C and Tetanus and a chest x ray those are really the standard ones I think and also an Aids test. We both worked in a hospital so those were the ones we were asked for but your company should be able to point you in the right direction.

Amazing Grace Sep 11th 2007 8:58 am

Originally Posted by lionheart (Post 5296777)
Only an injection of ecstasy to keep you sane...actually, it's not that bad unless you are a female motorist who loves discos, then you are stuck.

Did they not bring in the over 40 female drivers allowed in KSA then, it was being discussed when I left in 2000 but I suppose nothing happens quickly.

lionheart Sep 11th 2007 11:23 am

Originally Posted by Amazing Grace (Post 5297292)
Did they not bring in the over 40 female drivers allowed in KSA then, it was being discussed when I left in 2000 but I suppose nothing happens quickly.

No way! I very much doubt that they will ever let women drive over there...at least not before they allow non-Muslims to visit Mecca...still living in the Stone Age.

justin riseborough Sep 11th 2007 11:41 am

Before we moved to Oman, we just went to our GP, they done the homework then gave us all the recommended ones, and it is free so worthwhile.

With the HEP jabs, just make sure no heavy lifting is required for a few days as the arm kills afterwards, feels like carrying a lead arm

Amazing Grace Sep 11th 2007 12:49 pm

Originally Posted by lionheart (Post 5297693)
No way! I very much doubt that they will ever let women drive over there...at least not before they allow non-Muslims to visit Mecca...still living in the Stone Age.

I thought it was too good to be true. I hated having to wait for my other half to take me to the supermarket. I enjoyed my time in KSA but love my independence more:wub: