Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Is a Saudi Iqama a Residence Permit or a Work Permit?

Is a Saudi Iqama a Residence Permit or a Work Permit?

Old Jul 4th 2010, 3:35 am
Forum Regular

prwatts is just really niceprwatts is just really niceprwatts is just really niceprwatts is just really niceprwatts is just really niceprwatts is just really niceprwatts is just really niceprwatts is just really niceprwatts is just really niceprwatts is just really nice
Default Is a Saudi Iqama a Residence Permit or a Work Permit?

Hi all,
I still cannot really understand this and what one is supposed to do. Yes I know you will be saying I am supposed to head to Bahrain and not stop, but humour me.

Everyone tells it differently and even the Saudi Website has a form for Residence Permit and a form for Work Permit.
I am a bit confused.
I am currently here on a buisness visa so I have to do the 30 day thing.
One place says you need both, others don't.

If I can find a Mr fixit that I can pay for the service I will, but I think it is the job of my (incompetent dumb@ss) employer...in which case I may be up the creek in a barbed wire canoe.

Many thanks
Old Jul 4th 2010, 5:37 am
Shikra

shikra has a reputation beyond reputeshikra has a reputation beyond reputeshikra has a reputation beyond reputeshikra has a reputation beyond reputeshikra has a reputation beyond reputeshikra has a reputation beyond reputeshikra has a reputation beyond reputeshikra has a reputation beyond reputeshikra has a reputation beyond reputeshikra has a reputation beyond reputeshikra has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is a Saudi Iqama a Residence Permit or a Work Permit?

Originally Posted by prwatts
Hi all,
I still cannot really understand this and what one is supposed to do. Yes I know you will be saying I am supposed to head to Bahrain and not stop, but humour me.

Everyone tells it differently and even the Saudi Website has a form for Residence Permit and a form for Work Permit.
I am a bit confused.

If I can find a Mr fixit that I can pay for the service I will, but I think it is the job of my (incompetent dumb@ss) employer...in which case I may be up the creek in a barbed wire canoe.

Many thanks
Dear Prwatts,

Saudi Iqama is basically a residence permit, covering your basic information details plus your work permit info. If you are permitted to work as an engineer in Saudi Arabia, you will get your residence permit (Iqama) based on that position (Engineering). Because of different sectors, Iqama (residence permits) have different powers.
For example, if I am hired as a Labour in Saudi Arabia, I will get a residence permit on which it will be written that I am a Labour, because of which I can't get more than a certain amount of Salary, I can't go to GCC countries without Visa and I can't work in any company other than my profession as a Labour.

If I am hired as an Engineer, my Iqama would be more powerful and I will enjoy more privileges. I can get high salaries, visit GCC countries without Visa (For limited number of days).

Your profession is written on your Iqama, and so is your sponsor's name. If you go into a new company, they ask for your Iqama only (and sometimes passport for Visa checking) and it proves what is your status in the Kingdom and can you work for them or not. So in short, assume that Iqama is everything for you here, giving you work permit plus residence status
Old Jul 4th 2010, 5:59 am
BE Forum Addict

coffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond repute

Many thanks[/QUOTE]

Peter
IT IS your Sponser's job to get this all sorted they are the one's that must pay NOT YOU.
Yes they have there own P.R. Man (A Mr. Fix It )
i think you are onto a hiding to nothing here.
Yes Iquamas some time take a while to come thoro,
But wages / pay checks are supposed to be there on time.

What ever you decide to do either stay or go now
(hey theres a song about that ha ha) good luck.
I know what my gut is telling me.
But you are the only person that can make that choice stay or go.

Many people on here has offered advice.
Now its up to you.
Old Jul 4th 2010, 6:01 am
BE Forum Addict

coffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond repute

Please read the Saudi Labour law that i posted up in the Wilki.
Yes we all know its not worth the toilet paper its printed on but !!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Jul 4th 2010, 6:22 am
Forum Regular

prwatts is just really niceprwatts is just really niceprwatts is just really niceprwatts is just really niceprwatts is just really niceprwatts is just really niceprwatts is just really niceprwatts is just really niceprwatts is just really niceprwatts is just really nice

Originally Posted by coffindodger

Many thanks
Peter
IT IS your Sponser's job to get this all sorted they are the one's that must pay NOT YOU.
Yes they have there own P.R. Man (A Mr. Fix It )
i think you are onto a hiding to nothing here.
Yes Iquamas some time take a while to come thoro,
But wages / pay checks are supposed to be there on time.

What ever you decide to do either stay or go now
(hey theres a song about that ha ha) good luck.
I know what my gut is telling me.
But you are the only person that can make that choice stay or go.

Many people on here has offered advice.
Now its up to you.[/QUOTE]

Thanks CD, the expats I work with say I am over-reacting and the pay will come Inch-ala. Problem is I have no local bank acct so I may get a stack of monopoly money but that I can work out.

As to the Iqama I will plug away at it. I think it is the Residence Visa I must apply for - my Mr Fix it is as much use as t1ts on a bull - sorry, no sekshewil innuendo allowed, I know.
Out here its all in-yer-endo anyway - oops, sorry, the devil made me say that, the sod. oh shut up.

Anyway, this is my life-lesson in patience & perseverance. No bluddy nanny state here, boyo.
Old Jul 4th 2010, 9:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Anyway, this is my life-lesson in patience & perseverance. No bluddy nanny state here, boyo.
You are a nutcase. Good luck!
Old Jul 4th 2010, 11:26 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by EmiratesMillhouse
You are a nutcase. Good luck!
Uhh, so is an Iqama a Residence Visa or a Work Visa?

Old Jul 4th 2010, 11:27 am
Forum Regular

Actually it is like the stock market, and most things in life:

When greed overcomes fear, they buy
When fear overcomes greed, they sell
Old Jul 4th 2010, 11:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Actually it is like the stock market, and most things in life:

When greed overcomes fear, they buy
When fear overcomes greed, they sell
so what part of the cycle are you in at the moment? greed overcoming fear, or stupidity overcoming rationality?!!
Old Jul 4th 2010, 6:51 pm
Forum Regular

Shawlands has a reputation beyond reputeShawlands has a reputation beyond reputeShawlands has a reputation beyond reputeShawlands has a reputation beyond reputeShawlands has a reputation beyond reputeShawlands has a reputation beyond reputeShawlands has a reputation beyond reputeShawlands has a reputation beyond reputeShawlands has a reputation beyond reputeShawlands has a reputation beyond reputeShawlands has a reputation beyond repute

so what part of the cycle are you in at the moment? greed overcoming fear, or stupidity overcoming rationality?!!
Chill out, the situation is what it is. Although we think it may be best for him to leave, at the same time he has made his decision to stick with it for a while longer.

We should try our best to help out where we can, as this would be saving grace of this forum.

I know I was the first to put the boot in in regards to leaving and whilst I dont retract that, I think I should be more willing to help rather than make it worse.

in answer to your post, the iqama is both as advised. in other words, its essential.

please feel free to PM me (not sure about my post count tho) for any other query, to be clear I have no connections in the rail sector or any contacts in gov agencies that can help directly, but anything I do know or can advise to help you sort this out, I will.

thanks
Old Jul 4th 2010, 7:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Shawlands
Chill out, the situation is what it is. Although we think it may be best for him to leave, at the same time he has made his decision to stick with it for a while longer.
I agree, I'm not having a dig... just wanted to know...
Old Jul 4th 2010, 7:19 pm
Token Scandinavian Bloke

norsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond repute

consider yourself told off...
Old Jul 4th 2010, 7:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by norsk
consider yourself told off...
considered...
Old Jul 9th 2010, 6:59 am
Just Joined

mo_riyadh is an unknown quantity at this point

You will have an iqama - regular
your child/spouse will have one, it will say "not allowed to work"

Hi all,

I am a bit confused.

Many thanks
Old Jul 9th 2010, 7:48 am
Forum Regular

Sorry for the delay, EM - been away the last week.

To be serious I think my decision to give it a chance with this non-payment is Rationality overcoming Fear.

Peter

Last edited by prwatts; Jul 9th 2010 at 7:50 am. Reason: Spelling

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.