Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Is a Saudi Iqama a Residence Permit or a Work Permit?

Is a Saudi Iqama a Residence Permit or a Work Permit?

Old Jul 10th 2010, 7:19 am
Banned

Bijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is a Saudi Iqama a Residence Permit or a Work Permit?

[QUOTE=shikra;8676178]Dear Prwatts,

If I am hired as an Engineer, my Iqama would be more powerful and I will enjoy more privileges. I can get high salaries, visit GCC countries without Visa (For limited number of days).

QUOTE]

That is interesting - so If I had an engineers Iqama and as a British Citizen then I could go to Oman for a weekend and not pay for the visa on arrival at Muscat. But my brother coming from Bahrain would have to pay?

That sounds a very unusual degree of generosity. In effect the Iqama has become, although not its main purpoise, like a Shengen visa allowing free travel between Schengen states in Europe.

I have a Gambian ID card which allows me free travel in Ecowas countries which, if travelling in Ecowas countries appeals, is extremely useful and saves real hassle with visas.
Old Jul 10th 2010, 8:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by prwatts
Sorry for the delay, EM - been away the last week.

To be serious I think my decision to give it a chance with this non-payment is Rationality overcoming Fear.

Peter

Good man. I totally understand why you would want to give them the benefit of the doubt. Just make sure that you always have options.

If you need to get hold of Union Rail let me know.
Old Jul 10th 2010, 9:14 am
Just Joined

AustKP is an unknown quantity at this point

Don't know if this helps at all but when I ran a Saudi workshop in the 90's we got everybody an Iqama -which is residence permit- from one ministry and gave that to the employee and we got the work permit - small card about the size of a driving license -from another ministry and kept that secured in the employee's file in the "HR" drawer. Residence lets them live in the country while the work permit lets them earn a crust while they reside.

As previously stated, it's the employer's job to sort it but if they brought you in on the wrong visa then they might be scared to let you see that you're employed as a "welder" or something which would mean no multiple entry visas, no family visas, etc etc.

Why not tell everybody who you are working for? Maybe somebody knows their modus operandi already.
Old Jul 10th 2010, 1:03 pm
Shikra

shikra has a reputation beyond reputeshikra has a reputation beyond reputeshikra has a reputation beyond reputeshikra has a reputation beyond reputeshikra has a reputation beyond reputeshikra has a reputation beyond reputeshikra has a reputation beyond reputeshikra has a reputation beyond reputeshikra has a reputation beyond reputeshikra has a reputation beyond reputeshikra has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bijilo123

That is interesting - so If I had an engineers Iqama and as a British Citizen then I could go to Oman for a weekend and not pay for the visa on arrival at Muscat. But my brother coming from Bahrain would have to pay?
Not sure about the rules in Bahrain (for your brother), but about Saudia, yes, you will get 'on arrival Visa' for Oman if your Iqama states that you are an engineer.

That sounds a very unusual degree of generosity. In effect the Iqama has become, although not its main purpoise, like a Shengen visa allowing free travel between Schengen states in Europe.
Yes, an unusual piece of generosity, by the Saudi government, for the Expat Engineers!
Old Jul 10th 2010, 3:40 pm
Forum Regular

prwatts is just really niceprwatts is just really niceprwatts is just really niceprwatts is just really niceprwatts is just really niceprwatts is just really niceprwatts is just really niceprwatts is just really niceprwatts is just really niceprwatts is just really nice

Why not tell everybody who you are working for? Maybe somebody knows their modus operandi already.[/QUOTE]

I work for the Saudi Railway Company.
Old Jul 10th 2010, 5:49 pm
Banned

Bijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shikra
Not sure about the rules in Bahrain (for your brother), but about Saudia, yes, you will get 'on arrival Visa' for Oman if your Iqama states that you are an engineer.

!
Yes,but do you have to pay for it. A Brit normally pays7(?) OR but I was testing your theory that if you have an Iqama then you pay nothing.

Yes?
Old Jul 10th 2010, 5:58 pm
Token Scandinavian Bloke

norsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond repute

Yes,but do you have to pay for it. A Brit normally pays7(?) OR but I was testing your theory that if you have an Iqama then you pay nothing.

Yes?
In Bahrain you pay nothing if you have iqama (on the causeway). If you arrive via Bahrain International Airport you still have to pay...
Old Jul 11th 2010, 8:00 am
Shikra

shikra has a reputation beyond reputeshikra has a reputation beyond reputeshikra has a reputation beyond reputeshikra has a reputation beyond reputeshikra has a reputation beyond reputeshikra has a reputation beyond reputeshikra has a reputation beyond reputeshikra has a reputation beyond reputeshikra has a reputation beyond reputeshikra has a reputation beyond reputeshikra has a reputation beyond repute

OR but I was testing your theory that if you have an Iqama then you pay nothing.

Yes?
First of all, it is not my THEORY, if it is a theory, it has been given by the Arabian theorists sitting in the Saudi Government and making laws for this country.

Secondly, I didn't say that you don't have to pay money for the GCC countries if you have an Engineer Iqama (I repeat, I didn't say that, you might heard it wrong!), I said you don't need a Visa prior to entering into GCC countries. An on arrival Visa with around 100 Dirhams will allow an engineer residing in Saudi Arabia to enter into Dubai, Qatar . . . !

Last edited by shikra; Jul 11th 2010 at 8:03 am.
Old Jul 11th 2010, 3:32 pm
Banned

I said you don't need a Visa prior to entering into GCC countries.!
Sorry for my poor English but I thought you said: (copy and paste)

I can get high salaries, visit GCC countries without Visa (For limited number of days).

No need to get angry - I was just querying your assertion of visa free travel within the GCC - which I have in Europe and W.Africa.

Turns out that with the exception of Bahrain as more lucidly described the assertion is not true.
Old Jul 11th 2010, 3:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Brains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond repute

Can't imagine free travel in WA being that advantageous. Well unless your in Nigeria and want to go somewhere "more" civilised like Angola, lol
Old Jul 11th 2010, 5:32 pm
Shikra

Sorry for my poor English but I thought you said: (copy and paste)

I can get high salaries, visit GCC countries without Visa (For limited number of days).
Usually you have to get a Visa before entering into a country. This protocol given by Iqama makes you land in the country without getting a Visa and that is why it is said 'you don't need a Visa if you are an engineer in Saudia and you want to travel to any GCC country!

No need to get angry - I was just querying your assertion of visa free travel within the GCC - which I have in Europe and W.Africa.
Who is getting angry, just pin pointing your suppositions based on something I didn't say!

Cheers.
Old Jul 11th 2010, 7:31 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Brains1983
Can't imagine free travel in WA being that advantageous. Well unless your in Nigeria and want to go somewhere "more" civilised like Angola, lol
Actually, it is. Senegal and Ghana are well woth visiting as is Gambia but getting visas for these places - well, not Senegal; is a pia and the freedom of movement that I've taken for granted in Europe is brilliant here too - and a coomon currency coming as well,

I used to live in Angola millions of years ago and thanks to your comment - I'll look it up but I wonder if it is an ECOWAS.

Thanks Brains.
Old Jul 11th 2010, 7:32 pm
Banned

Usually you have to get a Visa before entering into a country. This protocol given by Iqama makes you land in the country without getting a Visa and that is why it is said 'you don't need a Visa if you are an engineer in Saudia and you want to travel to any GCC country!

Who is getting angry, just pin pointing your suppositions based on something I didn't say!

Cheers.
A visa is a visa. Jeez...
Old Jul 11th 2010, 7:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Brains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond repute

Actually, it is. Senegal and Ghana are well woth visiting as is Gambia but getting visas for these places - well, not Senegal; is a pia and the freedom of movement that I've taken for granted in Europe is brilliant here too - and a coomon currency coming as well,

I used to live in Angola millions of years ago and thanks to your comment - I'll look it up but I wonder if it is an ECOWAS.

Thanks Brains.
I have no idea if Angola is ECOWAS is or not, but I wasn't being sarcastic, I really liked my time in Luanda and to a certain extent Soyo. Of course there are a lot of shitty parts to it as I am sure you know, but the good bits are actually really good.

Haven't considered Senegal, but Ghana I will possible visit (albeit maybe a small stopover more than anything).

Think the common currency might be a few years away yet mind...

I do like the slightly obscure holiday destinations, you get some unique experiences that way!