Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Saudi and Employer holding Passports

Saudi and Employer holding Passports

Old Jan 8th 2009, 4:23 am

still.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to behold
Default Saudi and Employer holding Passports

hi folks, need some advice and to let off a bit of steam...

situation; i need to get back to london as of 4 weeks ago to tie up some paperwork in person. have been asking for my co. to process my paperwork and give me a couple of days leave to do it. for 4 weeks i've been getting responses from my immediate managers that "it'll be fine, just have to wait for so-and-so" and "the government office is closed for this, try tomorrow", etc. finally, got them into a position where they'd run out of excuses and the managers say "fine with me, lets see what HR says". now, suddenly the message is, "hr has a policy of no leave in the probation period (1st 3 months)". hmm, ok, so i'll go back on a wed night and be back for work on sat. "well, actually, the policy is that you're not allowed to leave the country in the probation period."

the backstory is that a couple of expats have started working with this co. and on their first leave out of the country, haven't come back.

so, my questions to the bored are;
- anyone had experience of anything similar?
- should i go have a chat to the ministry of labor? (or any other recommended avenues, don't like my chances with the embassy's)
- can anyone explain why this 'risk' of me going awol is suddenly diminished after the probation period? (i can't for the life of me figure out why it's so much riskier in the first 3x months than it is anytime after that...):curse:

any help greatly appreciated, but just getting it off my chest is a start...
-
Old Jan 8th 2009, 7:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Nic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Saudi and Employer holding Passports

Not had it happen to us, but I do know of people who've been in the same situation, seems quite common in Saudi. It seems to vary company to company - some companies don't allow holidays for the first year . . . So you aren't doing tooo badly. Not a lot of help I know, sorry to hear you are having problems. How much longer to go until you hit the three month mark ?

N
Old Jan 8th 2009, 7:26 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

I think you should drop a PM to The Dean or Nottbantam for their advice, the might be able to ease your mind. Remember what it says on your passport - Property of the British Government, not the KSA.
Old Jan 8th 2009, 7:30 am
BE Enthusiast

Nic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond repute

Are they actually planning on holding your passport all the time, or is it just while the visa/iqama is sorted out ? It can take weeks to get that sorted, then you should get your passport back. Ask them to get you a multiple exit/re-entry visa which lasts 6 months then you can come and go as you wish.

N
Old Jan 8th 2009, 7:35 am
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

not saudi specific, but the amount of people in the UAE that allow their company to keep their passports is amazing..

Glad i have a couple of the bad boys stowed away for emergencies
Old Jan 8th 2009, 8:15 am
BE Enthusiast

MrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by commander
not saudi specific, but the amount of people in the UAE that allow their company to keep their passports is amazing..

Glad i have a couple of the bad boys stowed away for emergencies
People are insane, there is not a hope in hell i would work for anyone if they were going to keep my passport - i would rather leave altogether than do that!

those bloody passports are like gold - i certainly wouldnt be giving gold away freely! I mean come on, they are your bloody ticket out of anywhere in the world!!! Why would you want to freely and willingly let someone else keep ahold of it!!!!
Old Jan 8th 2009, 8:31 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrsHaps
People are insane, there is not a hope in hell i would work for anyone if they were going to keep my passport - i would rather leave altogether than do that!

those bloody passports are like gold - i certainly wouldnt be giving gold away freely! I mean come on, they are your bloody ticket out of anywhere in the world!!! Why would you want to freely and willingly let someone else keep ahold of it!!!!
alot of companies used to do it here as standard practice, I always refused to hand mine over. Once the visa was sorted that was it, back into my bedside cabinet
Old Jan 8th 2009, 10:00 am

still.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to behold

thanks for all the replies, here's a few answers to your questions;
- yes, the company policy is that they give you your iqama and then hold your passport. whenever you need your passport, you surrender your iqama to them and they give it to you. (there's even a form you have to fill out and get signed by your mgr to get it released from hr! )
- wasn't too fussed about giving them one of my passports, always have a second nationality to fall back upon if the worst happens
- am nearly 2/3rds of the way through the first 3x months so am over the hump and (anticipating some responses) shouldn't be too concerned about waiting the last little bit - am more concerned about the very different stories i'm getting from ppl w/in the company AND different stories from the same ppl
- the company policy is to not issue multi entry/exit visas and apparently none of the staff have them (w/ the odd mgr as the exception to the rule)

so, no passport, visa only purely at their discretion, haven't been paid yet, (that's a different thread) and ppl in the UK are getting pretty short w/ me for continuing to postpone my plans to pop back for a visit. (was supposed to go at xmas... ha!)
Old Jan 8th 2009, 10:05 am
BE Enthusiast

If they won't issue a multi exit/re-entry visa then there is really no need for them to hold your passport as you can't leave anyway . . . Do you work for a local company ? We have our passports and multi exit visas . . . Makes me feel much more comfortable. Even having a second passport is no good here as with out that exit visa you won't get out - is this negotiable ?

N
Old Jan 8th 2009, 10:13 am

Originally Posted by Nic1
If they won't issue a multi exit/re-entry visa then there is really no need for them to hold your passport as you can't leave anyway . . . Do you work for a local company ? We have our passports and multi exit visas . . . Makes me feel much more comfortable. Even having a second passport is no good here as with out that exit visa you won't get out - is this negotiable ?

N
it's a local company and every message i've had so far is that it is most certainly not negotiable. the most annoying (understatement) bit is that when i asked specifically about that visa before i left the UK they said that they do do multi's. they didn't say that i'll have a snowballs hope in saudi of actually getting one from them...

but the point you make about the passport is a good one, think i'll ask about that. and yes, the 2nd passport isn't much use for a conventional departure without the visa (prob land me in more trouble as i don't even have an initial visa in it!) but i figure it's useful to have some sort of travel doco in any event.

you know, riyadh's actually not that bad a place, but i can't say the same about my company...
Old Jan 8th 2009, 10:45 am
Forum Regular

Bodach is an unknown quantity at this point

Afraid in Saudi company keeps passport, you get issued with an Igamma well thats how it sounds not sure of spelling. You must keep it with you at all times, when you go on leave company gets an exit re-entry visa for you, the day you are leaving company gives you passport and you hand in I gamma. Thats what it was like when I worked there a few years ago.

Multi exist/re-entry are expensive and most companies will not entertain them, if you are traveling in Kingdom out with your residence area you need a travel letter to get through the road check points.

When I was on holiday in Jordan, the locals all wanted to know why I worked and lived in the world biggest prison!

I lasted 8 years, a work mate lasted 22 years, so its not as bad as it sounds!

Bod.
Old Jan 8th 2009, 2:23 pm
Just Joined

Nickel is just really niceNickel is just really niceNickel is just really niceNickel is just really niceNickel is just really niceNickel is just really niceNickel is just really niceNickel is just really nice

Originally Posted by still.unsure
hi folks, need some advice and to let off a bit of steam...

situation; i need to get back to london as of 4 weeks ago to tie up some paperwork in person. have been asking for my co. to process my paperwork and give me a couple of days leave to do it. for 4 weeks i've been getting responses from my immediate managers that "it'll be fine, just have to wait for so-and-so" and "the government office is closed for this, try tomorrow", etc. finally, got them into a position where they'd run out of excuses and the managers say "fine with me, lets see what HR says". now, suddenly the message is, "hr has a policy of no leave in the probation period (1st 3 months)". hmm, ok, so i'll go back on a wed night and be back for work on sat. "well, actually, the policy is that you're not allowed to leave the country in the probation period."

the backstory is that a couple of expats have started working with this co. and on their first leave out of the country, haven't come back.

so, my questions to the bored are;
- anyone had experience of anything similar?
- should i go have a chat to the ministry of labor? (or any other recommended avenues, don't like my chances with the embassy's)
- can anyone explain why this 'risk' of me going awol is suddenly diminished after the probation period? (i can't for the life of me figure out why it's so much riskier in the first 3x months than it is anytime after that...):curse:

any help greatly appreciated, but just getting it off my chest is a start...
-
When I lived in Saudi - 2006-07 - we were also told no leaving the country for the first 90 days!! So we went on the 91st day.

My employer - a Saudi run hospital - always kept our passports, we kept our iqamas. But, since I always got a multi-exit visa, I absolutely refused to let them keep my passport. In 14 months, my employer had it twice - to renew my multi-exit. Let them keep my iqama, I just had a certified copy. It was the only way I "escaped" on 4 hours notice~~

We were told it was the "law" in Saudi that expat workers were not allowed to leave the country during their 90 day probation period. True? Who knows.

Last edited by Nickel; Jan 8th 2009 at 2:28 pm.
Old Jan 9th 2009, 9:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Amazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond repute

As others have said before me it is very common practice for Saudi employers to keep hold of employees' passports and the story goes they do it to keep them in safe fireproof safe....Hmmm okay then. We worked in a hospital that was privately managed and then was localised but this never changed. We were only allowed to go and collect AND sign for our passports the day before or the day of travel and then sign them back in on our return. Women travelling on their own in some cases had their passports taken off them at the airport and handed back when boarding their flight. Perhaps if you can get a second passport but the passport does not belong to you, it doesnt belong to the employer it belongs to the government of your country of origin. The thing with the 90 days I cant say for sure but it could be that they have spent a lot of money getting you there and they want some of it back by you working. We had four great years in KSA but things have changed now and wouldnt be going back there unless there was no other work. Good luck
Old Jan 9th 2009, 11:55 am

thanks for all the replies folks, am futher bolstered by the support from the BE members here!

think i'll just have to keep my head down and wait for the 91st day and get out. am a bit rattled by the whole episode, but think it's more of a co. and manager thing than a saudi thing (here's hoping, anyway!) just don't like being so blatantly b*llshitted too... (yes, yes, am an idealist...)

right, anyone got any recommendations for a good desert safari tour out of riyadh?
Old Jan 9th 2009, 12:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Organised or with your mates ? There is a book on tours outside Riyadh - it's available from Jarir, can't remember the name - have leant mine out to someone and not got it back . . . There are some great places to visit around the area - need to go in a group tho. Also if you are into that sort of thing the hashes go out into the desert most weekends.

Also there is a handbok called Riiyadh today published Gulf Express I think in association with Amex that is quite useful and up to date - not sure where they are available - will ask if DH can get a copy and get it to you somehow. It also lists gyms/fitness lcubs etc. Quite useful for phone numbers and locations.

Cheers
N

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.