Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Saudi Council of Engineers - Rejection

Saudi Council of Engineers - Rejection

Old Jul 23rd 2019, 8:22 am
Forum Regular

Tahir84 is an unknown quantity at this point
Angry Saudi Council of Engineers - Rejection

I arrived over a month ago as a Senior Engineer in KSA and applied for SCE registration (for Engineering Profession) as part of Iqama process.

My bachelor's degree from University of Bolton (UK) was attested from Saudi Cultural Bureau and Saudi Embassy in London. This is the degree i submitted to SCE which has come back as rejected. I am being asked to change the profession within 10 days. They have not provided any reason for rejection.

Can someone please explain what this means. I had a quick chat with HR guy and he said, they have other visas available e.g. technical consultant/advisor. But i am worried about the consequences of not being able to be registered as Engineer with SCE. Should i be worried about this all?
Old Jul 25th 2019, 11:29 am
BE Forum Addict

nottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Saudi Council of Engineers - Rejection

Depends on what you want your Iqama Job Title to be.

What was your degree certificate in - was it engineering? It may have been interpreted otherwise, so rejected. You can change your Iqama profession, but then technically speaking, your employment contract should accurately this. Previously, it has been more flexible, but seems to be a tightening up these days.
Old Jul 25th 2019, 11:46 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by nottmbantam
Depends on what you want your Iqama Job Title to be.

What was your degree certificate in - was it engineering? It may have been interpreted otherwise, so rejected. You can change your Iqama profession, but then technically speaking, your employment contract should accurately this. Previously, it has been more flexible, but seems to be a tightening up these days.
all i know is that when i was back in UK, they said they will apply for project engineer's visa, which i guess what they did. The degree cert is 'BEng Mechanical Engineering - Hons'. If the change of profession, would i have to leave the country. I guess they need SCE registration for any Engineer's Iqama. I know there are other guys arrived at the same time as i did, who had technical consultant visa, they didnt have to register with SCE, they got their iqamas last week. I am just concerned that they may have to send me back and reapply with a different visa, if it comes to that.
Lets see
Old Jul 25th 2019, 12:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

nottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond repute

A Technical Consultant could get away away without having to register as an Engineer, and hence no requirement to register with SCE. Your degree doesn't sound as if there is any conflict, so can't suggest as to why it was rejected. I think they should be able to sort it without sending you back.
Old Jul 25th 2019, 12:19 pm
Forum Regular

A Technical Consultant could get away away without having to register as an Engineer, and hence no requirement to register with SCE. Your degree doesn't sound as if there is any conflict, so can't suggest as to why it was rejected. I think they should be able to sort it without sending you back.
i called SCE customer service, as usual, no english skills, each time i am a given a different reasons such as:
i) Degree not accredited by SCE (this Degree was accepted by IMechE UK who gave me the title of Chartered Engineer),
ii) Degree is only 3 years, according to these people, it should be 4 years degree

so its a joke basically. I have this morning, submitted my MSc certificate also, lets see what comes out after that.
Old Jul 25th 2019, 12:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Welcome to life in Saudi dealing with the authorities. That's a pretty good taster of how things can be. At times, a great deal of patience is required, but tends to be sorted out eventually. I would think the MSc should do the trick, best of luck.
Old Jul 25th 2019, 1:11 pm
Forum Regular

Welcome to life in Saudi dealing with the authorities. That's a pretty good taster of how things can be. At times, a great deal of patience is required, but tends to be sorted out eventually. I would think the MSc should do the trick, best of luck.
thanks, i was actually hoping to be back in UK with family for eid holidays, how naive. I have given up any hope of receiving iqama before Eid holidays.
Old Jul 28th 2019, 6:26 am
BE Forum Addict

You have about two weeks , it might get done, its a bit touch and go really, depends on how good your GR guy is at your place. The better ones have good contacts and can get things done, depending on their wasta. You can always travel after Eid, not much consolation I know, but the flights will be cheaper and the airports won't be as busy.
Old Jul 28th 2019, 6:41 am
Forum Regular

You have about two weeks , it might get done, its a bit touch and go really, depends on how good your GR guy is at your place. The better ones have good contacts and can get things done, depending on their wasta. You can always travel after Eid, not much consolation I know, but the flights will be cheaper and the airports won't be as busy.
don't they (the government departments) break off for two weeks around 5 August? My hurdle has been the SCE registration, once the registration is complete, i don't think the iqama process will be delayed. SCE has been sat on this for over 5 weeks now.
Old Jul 28th 2019, 7:27 am
BE Forum Addict

True - government departments will have around two weeks off work , so I guess this week is the last week for it to be done. Like I said, push your GR guy to get it over the line. Best of luck.
Old Jul 28th 2019, 10:05 am
Onwards and Upwards!

Johnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond repute

Another possible line of attack would be to obtain a transcript of your degree course from your university and submit this to SCE in support of your application. This will show the subjects you studied, the associated hours of study and the grades achieved. Might help?
Old Jul 28th 2019, 10:09 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Johnnyboy11
Another possible line of attack would be to obtain a transcript of your degree course from your university and submit this to SCE in support of your application. This will show the subjects you studied, the associated hours of study and the grades achieved. Might help?
hi, i already did submit the transcript of BEng at the time of original application.This time, i have submitted MSc and relevant transcript. Now just need to wait, again
Old Aug 5th 2019, 4:55 am
Forum Regular

Update - they have finally registered me as an 'engineer'. Not sure whether it was the Masters' certificate that did it, as they still have listed my Bachelors' degree in my profile as the highest qualification. Now the wait for Iqama begins.
Old Aug 5th 2019, 6:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Congratulations, glad that bit got sorted finally. Hopefully the new Iqama shouldn't take too long. I have just transferred sponsor, new iqama came through in a couple of days, but I suspect a new issue might take a little longer.