Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Saudi Consulate in Istanbul

Saudi Consulate in Istanbul

Old Oct 20th 2018, 6:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Saudi Consulate in Istanbul

Scarey to think that is where I used to get my entry visas processed !
Old Oct 21st 2018, 6:09 am
Forum Regular

fezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Saudi Consulate in Istanbul

Good job you didn't have an argument with the staff.
Old Oct 21st 2018, 7:01 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by scot47
Scarey to think that is where I used to get my entry visas processed !
Lucky you didn't fancy a scrap then!

Absolutely astonishing what's happening and slowly being revealed. Spy novel stuff.
Old Oct 21st 2018, 8:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

I always found staff in the consulate there and in the Embassy in London polite and helpful but then I am not a dissident writing articles exposing the doings of the Saudi Royals.
Old Oct 21st 2018, 9:10 am
BE Enthusiast

sicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond repute

exposing the doings of the Saudi Royals.
he's certainly achieving that objective...
Old Oct 21st 2018, 9:54 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

......not a dissident writing articles exposing the doings of the Saudi Royals.
It's almost like he put his head in the open jar of a crocodile he'd spent the last few hours poking with a stick.
Old Oct 21st 2018, 11:56 am
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
It's almost like he put his head in the open jar of a crocodile he'd spent the last few hours poking with a stick.
The way he apparently was killed is genuinely horrendous and should make you take a long and hard look about the realities of the Gulf.....

But I don't like how the western presses are turning him into a symbol of free journalism or whatever the bullshit is. The man knew what he was doing. He was no saint, he'd defended and apologised the regime before, including a lot of their brutal activities. He was a member of the Muslim Brotherhood and apparently condoned a lot of their more extreme actions. He knew what the price was for criticising Saudi. It's one thing to be a western liberal journalist but it's something else entirely if you're a Saudi and especially someone who'd built a career out of kissing the arses of the House of Saud. To make it worse it sort of looks like he was becoming an informer for the US which is why he got the green card so quickly and easily, and no country likes anyone becoming an informer.

He was playing with fire....with people whose mindsets are still stuck in 1450.
Old Oct 21st 2018, 12:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

reddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond repute

First rule of Saudi fight club ;-)
Old Oct 21st 2018, 2:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The dynasty goes back to the person physician to King Abdulaziz ibn Saud

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muhammad_Khashoggi

And no, he was not a liberal. Hard to find in the Middle East. I am reminded of how the Ottomans used to treat the prisoners they took from the Wahabi tribes in the Nejd and the Hejaz. Knowing how the Wahabis abhor music in any form, they took delight in having loud music played by the Bustanci while the Saudi prisoners were being tortured and executed. Such was the fate of this Saudi ruler - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abdullah_bin_Saud

Last edited by scot47; Oct 21st 2018 at 4:17 pm.
Old Oct 21st 2018, 3:40 pm

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

Definitely been a topic to avoid in the office. I've been on holiday, but on the first day at work after the Saudis admitted killing him after all....Not one person brought it up.
Old Oct 22nd 2018, 4:34 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH
The way he apparently was killed is genuinely horrendous and should make you take a long and hard look about the realities of the Gulf.....

But I don't like how the western presses are turning him into a symbol of free journalism or whatever the bullshit is. The man knew what he was doing. He was no saint, he'd defended and apologised the regime before, including a lot of their brutal activities. He was a member of the Muslim Brotherhood and apparently condoned a lot of their more extreme actions. He knew what the price was for criticising Saudi. It's one thing to be a western liberal journalist but it's something else entirely if you're a Saudi and especially someone who'd built a career out of kissing the arses of the House of Saud. To make it worse it sort of looks like he was becoming an informer for the US which is why he got the green card so quickly and easily, and no country likes anyone becoming an informer.

He was playing with fire....with people whose mindsets are still stuck in 1450.
Not just the gulf, the entire world.
Old Oct 22nd 2018, 8:51 am
BE Enthusiast

sicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nonthaburi
Definitely been a topic to avoid in the office. I've been on holiday, but on the first day at work after the Saudis admitted killing him after all....Not one person brought it up.
I discussed it discreetly with one Saudi colleague. She said no one is talking about it, social media or otherwise. Just goes to show...
Old Oct 22nd 2018, 9:46 am

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sicklyman
I discussed it discreetly with one Saudi colleague. She said no one is talking about it, social media or otherwise. Just goes to show...
talked about it today with a Saudi colleague as it goes, also discreetly.
I work for the Saudi military so have to be very careful generally when speaking about some things.

what was interesting was that he was prepared to accept that it was all true, however horrible that truth may be.

I often find with Saudis that what they tell you in private when they know no other Saudis can hear them can be quite enlightening.
Old Oct 23rd 2018, 8:59 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nonthaburi
he was prepared to accept that it was all true, however horrible that truth may be.
exactly... if the whole idea of their de facto leader ordering this was laughably implausible, they'd be vocal about denouncing it. But they're not so...
Old Oct 23rd 2018, 9:55 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by sicklyman
exactly... if the whole idea of their de facto leader ordering this was laughably implausible, they'd be vocal about denouncing it. But they're not so...
Apparently the Turkish government are going to lay the smackdown today.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.