Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Saudi Car Hire With UK Licence

Saudi Car Hire With UK Licence

Old Jan 23rd 2009, 6:31 pm
Forum Regular

Demented Kitten is just really niceDemented Kitten is just really niceDemented Kitten is just really niceDemented Kitten is just really niceDemented Kitten is just really niceDemented Kitten is just really niceDemented Kitten is just really niceDemented Kitten is just really niceDemented Kitten is just really niceDemented Kitten is just really niceDemented Kitten is just really nice
Default Saudi Car Hire With UK Licence

Just want to know what are rules regarding hiring a car in Saudi with a Full UK Driving Licence?

I had a chat with the Avis office in Riyadh and the guy said I need an International drivers licence to hire. However I can get a letter from my company and this will allow me to hire a car.

What would this mean if I get stopped by the cops?

I asked this question to the rental guy and he said provided you show them a company letter and licence you should be ok.

Sounds dodgy to me.
Old Jan 23rd 2009, 6:51 pm

still.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Saudi Car Hire With UK Licence

Originally Posted by Demented Kitten
Just want to know what are rules regarding hiring a car in Saudi with a Full UK Driving Licence?

I had a chat with the Avis office in Riyadh and the guy said I need an International drivers licence to hire. However I can get a letter from my company and this will allow me to hire a car.

What would this mean if I get stopped by the cops?

I asked this question to the rental guy and he said provided you show them a company letter and licence you should be ok.

Sounds dodgy to me.
you don't need a letter from your company unless your leasing a car (i.e. for a year or two, not just renting from avis).

am renting one from sixt at the moment and reserved it online, popped in, showed my license and done. try www.sixt.co.uk and go to the one at the radisson. have had colleagues rent from there for a couple of months at a time and all works very well (easier than avis by anaecdotal evidence)
Old Jan 23rd 2009, 11:48 pm
Forum Regular

mcmonkiez is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by still.unsure
you don't need a letter from your company unless your leasing a car (i.e. for a year or two, not just renting from avis).

am renting one from sixt at the moment and reserved it online, popped in, showed my license and done. try www.sixt.co.uk and go to the one at the radisson. have had colleagues rent from there for a couple of months at a time and all works very well (easier than avis by anaecdotal evidence)

Sixt car rental in riyadh they will give you all the paper work in english or arabic? also if police stopped will sixt give us some sort of paper that we are hiring a car..

as I dont speak arabic just make it easier lol try to make him understand using the paperwork or something...

sorry just thinking for bad time if this happen as i am also thinking to get one for temp.. well i have decided to go to saudi and by next week i will be there and hopefully all goes well if not .. my UK job is still secure as i am took leave from there and i can come back and join anytime..

and will tell Saudi employer spin on it joking but just want to try and see the experience whats its like...

.. thanks
Old Jan 24th 2009, 4:44 am

still.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by mcmonkiez
Sixt car rental in riyadh they will give you all the paper work in english or arabic? also if police stopped will sixt give us some sort of paper that we are hiring a car..

as I dont speak arabic just make it easier lol try to make him understand using the paperwork or something...

sorry just thinking for bad time if this happen as i am also thinking to get one for temp.. well i have decided to go to saudi and by next week i will be there and hopefully all goes well if not .. my UK job is still secure as i am took leave from there and i can come back and join anytime..

and will tell Saudi employer spin on it joking but just want to try and see the experience whats its like...

.. thanks

if i remember correctly, your pay was pretty low and your accomodation wasn't sorted, yeah? what type of visa are you coming for your visit on? is it the full work visa or just a business/visit visa? you need to be sure if its the work visa b/c if it is, allow a minimum of a month before you could leave the magic kingdom. it's a locked down country and it's very difficult to get in or out so think long and hard, it's very hard to 'dip your toe in' in the magic kingdom...
Old Jan 24th 2009, 11:34 pm
Forum Regular

mcmonkiez is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by still.unsure
if i remember correctly, your pay was pretty low and your accomodation wasn't sorted, yeah? what type of visa are you coming for your visit on? is it the full work visa or just a business/visit visa? you need to be sure if its the work visa b/c if it is, allow a minimum of a month before you could leave the magic kingdom. it's a locked down country and it's very difficult to get in or out so think long and hard, it's very hard to 'dip your toe in' in the magic kingdom...

Cheers unsure for the reply.

Well correct i have think very hard and long also after speaking with HR in Saudi i have managed to Increase my pay after saying i wont be able to move to saudi If my housing not get sorted and pay must be increase.

with an hour i got an reply via email saying my Basic Salary increased to
SR 21,000 as I told them i wont take less then 21,000

the reason i ask for not less then that i know that the job and in my field and the job duties its not woth more then alot

If I ask for me they might think i am taking the piss.

plus the housing still will be outside the compound but i will get emp housing in compound until i sort mine out no rush on that from them.

I also confirm with them if i dont like my job or vice versa if u dont like me or my work they have right to cancel my contract and i have the same too.

plus I have taken 2 months leave from my UK employer so incase anything goes wrong i have my UK job secure too.

but i am sure my saudi job is good and i will manage to work but just the enviroment and people and all the other issues if i find hard i will not stay there ... and come back to UK.. and i dont want NOC or what ever is that.. lol
Old Jan 25th 2009, 2:37 am

Originally Posted by mcmonkiez
Cheers unsure for the reply.

Well correct i have think very hard and long also after speaking with HR in Saudi i have managed to Increase my pay after saying i wont be able to move to saudi If my housing not get sorted and pay must be increase.

with an hour i got an reply via email saying my Basic Salary increased to
SR 21,000 as I told them i wont take less then 21,000

the reason i ask for not less then that i know that the job and in my field and the job duties its not woth more then alot

If I ask for me they might think i am taking the piss.

plus the housing still will be outside the compound but i will get emp housing in compound until i sort mine out no rush on that from them.

I also confirm with them if i dont like my job or vice versa if u dont like me or my work they have right to cancel my contract and i have the same too.

plus I have taken 2 months leave from my UK employer so incase anything goes wrong i have my UK job secure too.

but i am sure my saudi job is good and i will manage to work but just the enviroment and people and all the other issues if i find hard i will not stay there ... and come back to UK.. and i dont want NOC or what ever is that.. lol
sounds like a very sensible approach and that you've got all your bases covered. best of luck and let us know how you get on