British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Saudi Bahrain causeway, VIP lane (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/saudi-bahrain-causeway-vip-lane-829509/)

acer100 Mar 24th 2014 5:04 pm

Saudi Bahrain causeway, VIP lane

Hi,

Hectic on the Saudi causeway.

how do you get a VIP pass? Is it a matter only to apply on the causeway website and pay or you need something special?

sicklyman Mar 25th 2014 2:35 am

Re: Saudi Bahrain causeway, VIP lane

for starters, you need a Bahraini CPR. Got one of those?

Ste390 Mar 25th 2014 5:47 am

Not a chance mate!!

I thing the standing charge to keep it active of about 10,000 SAR/year but the main cost in getting it is a one time 'donation' to someones charitable cause/back pocket of something in the region of 1m SAR (or so i've heard).

Plus according to the website there are only about 2,300 passes been issued!

In other words get your wasta & backsheesh ready or wait with the rest of us....

acer100 Mar 25th 2014 6:08 am

I have a CPR, I was wondering what other documents I need.

I understand I need some wasta, and lubricate some gears, so to speak, but how do I find somebody that can help me get one?

I am willing to pay if it saves my time on the causeway...

steviehouse Mar 26th 2014 7:13 am

i've been told that it costs 150,000SAR per year
Other than that I don't know what you would need

I always just went at times when the causeway would not be busy, like early in the morning on a Friday was a good time to go on a weekend

Ronnie Biggs Mar 26th 2014 7:18 am

Originally Posted by steviehouse (Post 11191175)
i've been told that it costs 150,000SAR per year
Other than that I don't know what you would need

I always just went at times when the causeway would not be busy, like early in the morning on a Friday was a good time to go on a weekend

I had access to one for a couple of years. You need a very well connected Bahraini or Saudi who knows the right people and knows how to make the gears turn. They have toughened up the access to these passes now so I really don't fancy your chances....

sicklyman Mar 27th 2014 4:21 pm

I concur and here's what I posted in another thread where you asked this:

this is like the Holy Grail for commuters. I went into the Causeway office on the Bahraini side and asked the guy who issues them in person. FWIW, here's the procedure:
  1. get a Bahraini CPR
  2. write a letter to some ministry office in Bahrain (I forget now which one he mentioned) This letter should state why you need to have access to the lane.
  3. get your company in Saudi to write an official letter backing up your need to use the lane for regular commuting. This should preferably be stamped to make it official i.e. with the Chamber of Commerce stamp from Saudi
  4. according to the guy there, this ministry will review your case and it should be a doddle to get a positive response. Once you have that, bring it to his office and they'll issue a pass. It will cost you BD1,000 annually.
He made this sound like the easiest process in the world to complete. I've never tried it because I still live in Saudi. I don't think you'd ever get a positive response unless you had some serious wasta, but if I lived in Bahrain, it would be one of the first things I'd get to work on. It is definitely worth a shot. Don't know anyone who has even attempted this, let alone succeeded.