Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Is Saudi (Aramco) the place to be?

Is Saudi (Aramco) the place to be?

Old Nov 24th 2011, 3:33 am
Forum Regular

bizkitgto is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Is Saudi (Aramco) the place to be?

Hey expats,

I've always thought that with Saudi being the center of the universe (at least in the oil biz) it would be an exciting place to work, considering the large amount of expats working there. I'm mainly referring to Aramco here. Do most people agree? I assume that compounds on the east would be most desirable (or essential) due to proximity to Bahrain? I'm guessing Dhahran camp (east coast) is the hardest to get in to.

It's too bad the Jizan refinery project is on the west coast - that project looks like fun (I know commissioning is a few years out) and right up my alley, but my gut tells me that if you wanna work for Aramco, you need to work on the east side to maintain sanity (if you're single)....am I way off base here??? Is Aramco the place to be in the middle east?

Thanks!
Old Nov 24th 2011, 4:26 am
BE Forum Addict

csdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is Saudi (Aramco) the place to be?

I'd prefer ADNOC, personally.
Old Nov 25th 2011, 5:15 am
Forum Regular

bizkitgto is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by csdf
I'd prefer ADNOC, personally.
Based on experience?
Old Nov 25th 2011, 5:24 am
BE Forum Addict

mentalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond repute

I was always told that Saudi Aramco was full of tossers.
Old Nov 25th 2011, 5:31 am
Token Scandinavian Bloke

norsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bizkitgto
Hey expats,

I've always thought that with Saudi being the center of the universe (at least in the oil biz) it would be an exciting place to work, considering the large amount of expats working there. I'm mainly referring to Aramco here. Do most people agree? I assume that compounds on the east would be most desirable (or essential) due to proximity to Bahrain? I'm guessing Dhahran camp (east coast) is the hardest to get in to.

It's too bad the Jizan refinery project is on the west coast - that project looks like fun (I know commissioning is a few years out) and right up my alley, but my gut tells me that if you wanna work for Aramco, you need to work on the east side to maintain sanity (if you're single)....am I way off base here??? Is Aramco the place to be in the middle east?

Thanks!
if you absolutely must work in saudi then yes aramco in dhahran is probably the best option possible. as long as you are of a certain grade you will get accommodation in the dhahran camp which is like a little piece of america in saudi. not sure if that appeals to everyone, but it is certainly better than living anywhere else in the country. also bahrain is close so you can get beer and see civilization on the weekend (or even on a school night if you so wish).

aramco is also known for paying a lot better than other companies in saudi and they have a pension scheme (in addition to the end of service gratuity stipulated by law? not sure but i think so).

however working for adnoc is probably easier on the family since you would be living in uae instead of saudi. no idea if the packages and opportunities etc are comparable though..
Old Nov 25th 2011, 5:33 am
Token Scandinavian Bloke

norsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mentalist
I was always told that Saudi Aramco was full of tossers.
if you think everyone who's different than you is a tosser then maybe this is true, but try turning the scale on its head. now who's the tosser?

not very constructive comment is it?
Old Nov 25th 2011, 12:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paracletus will become famous soon enoughParacletus will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by norsk
if you think everyone who's different than you is a tosser then maybe this is true, but try turning the scale on its head. now who's the tosser?

not very constructive comment is it?
He was only told it. I guess it's up to him whether or not he believes everything he was told.

Should we turn this into a stereotype thread perhaps? I'm beginning to form an opinion on your nation and countrymen here Norsk.
Old Nov 25th 2011, 3:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

DesertOcean has a reputation beyond reputeDesertOcean has a reputation beyond reputeDesertOcean has a reputation beyond reputeDesertOcean has a reputation beyond reputeDesertOcean has a reputation beyond reputeDesertOcean has a reputation beyond reputeDesertOcean has a reputation beyond reputeDesertOcean has a reputation beyond reputeDesertOcean has a reputation beyond reputeDesertOcean has a reputation beyond reputeDesertOcean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bizkitgto
Hey expats,

Thanks!
Most of the people I've met who work for Aramco seem upbeat & happy, and you can tell there is a real sense of community which is often lacking among other expat groups in Saudi.

http://www.aramcoexpats.com/
Old Nov 25th 2011, 3:53 pm
Token Scandinavian Bloke

Originally Posted by Paracletus
He was only told it. I guess it's up to him whether or not he believes everything he was told.

Should we turn this into a stereotype thread perhaps? I'm beginning to form an opinion on your nation and countrymen here Norsk.
i know he was only told it by someone else, but that makes it an even less constructive comment. anyway...

you're forming an opinion on my country based on my random comments on a forum? this could quite interesting, but perhaps you should start a new thread rather than hijacking this one.
Old Nov 25th 2011, 6:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paracletus will become famous soon enoughParacletus will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by norsk
i know he was only told it by someone else, but that makes it an even less constructive comment. anyway...
Yes.

you're forming an opinion on my country based on my random comments on a forum? this could quite interesting, but perhaps you should start a new thread rather than hijacking this one.
Oh no no far from it, I moved to your lovely little country some months ago from Bahrain. A wonderful change and a whole new way of life to get my head around.

Anyway, does Aramco still provide those home brewing kits for that delightful Saudi special drink? Tried it once...
Old Nov 25th 2011, 6:40 pm
Token Scandinavian Bloke

Originally Posted by Paracletus
Yes.

Oh no no far from it, I moved to your lovely little country some months ago from Bahrain. A wonderful change and a whole new way of life to get my head around.

Anyway, does Aramco still provide those home brewing kits for that delightful Saudi special drink? Tried it once...
oh that's right. i remember now that you said something about considering a move. it sounds like you are enjoying it. that's cool, i don't think i will ever be able to move back to be honest, so i envy people who do move there. however i'm not jealous of the weather you are getting around now, although at least they have proper seasons in norway.

did aramco actually provide the kits? i know they used to have a few recipes in the orientation pack, but no idea if it still happens. it's dead easy to make cider or wine though. it will make you pissed and give you a massive hangover.

so you want to run us through the pros/cons of norway and bahrain? i'm curious to hear. my top pros for norway would be the easy access to nature and the lack of serious crime (i'm not taking into consideration that nutter this summer. that's nowhere near representative of norwegian society as a whole). my top cons would be the cost of living and the fact that it is such a small country with limited opportunities.
Old Nov 25th 2011, 6:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond repute

Never got hold of a copy of "The Blue Flame" then?
How to destroy your liver and your head at the same time....