Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Saudi Arabia- Is it worth it?

Saudi Arabia- Is it worth it?

Old May 23rd 2012, 1:00 pm
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Saudi Arabia- Is it worth it?

Originally Posted by Alexa
Not feasible, as they won't know who to talk to....
As in any other place, you have to decide what you want to participate in...like going to Thailand...some go to the bars etc. others stay in 5 star hotels and enjoy the beaches. But staying at the beaches does not mean you are not aware of what is going on elsewhere.

Look, I don't care if you believe me or not, I'm just adding my experience to this thread. Anyone can take it or leave it.
Its been a quiet week in work and I am bored so excuse my petulance today. I'd live in Riyadh for a year hence my questioning of the claims presented (not just yours but one of the other posters also.)
Old May 23rd 2012, 1:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Alexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by weasel decentral
Its been a quiet week in work and I am bored so excuse my petulance today. I'd live in Riyadh for a year hence my questioning of the claims presented (not just yours but one of the other posters also.)
Don't worry, I'm having a "Doha Day" so am also not on top of my game..

See, the thing with Riyadh is that you really need to be in the right place (compound) and know the right people and the choice of what you want is yours..of course, it costs.
Old May 23rd 2012, 7:01 pm
Banned

Desert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Alexa
Don't worry, I'm having a "Doha Day" so am also not on top of my game..

See, the thing with Riyadh is that you really need to be in the right place (compound) and know the right people and the choice of what you want is yours..of course, it costs.
Unlike for example pretty much everywhere else where all you need to have fun is good will and a few quid. You don't need a compound and bootleggers and you can bring your 'girlfriend' or girlfriend out for coffee (some here pretend otherwise but we all need that from time to time because you can only shag about half an hour a day and there is still 12-15 hours to fill over the weekend).

People can choose to believe whatever but the reality is that singles are screwed in KSA (literally in case of good looking female specimens :P )
Old May 23rd 2012, 7:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond repute

I'll never understand why singles would go to work in Saudi for 40k USD. I know teachers get paid shit so why Saudi when you could go then rest of the GCC and have a ball ?
Old May 24th 2012, 8:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Alexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tockalosh
I'll never understand why singles would go to work in Saudi for 40k USD. I know teachers get paid shit so why Saudi when you could go then rest of the GCC and have a ball ?
Agree, that's pretty stupid.
Old May 24th 2012, 11:40 am
BE Forum Addict

jackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Sun101
Hi

I have a friend who has been offered a position teaching English to businessmen in Dhahran, Saudi Arabia.
Its 5 days per week (Saturday to Thursday) and he must teach around 28 hour per week and its a 12 month contract.

His job offer includes a salary of $39,500, a two bedroom modern western style 'luxury' apartment, transportation between the apartment and place of work, one meal per day, one return flight home, 30 days holiday plus public holidays and full health insurance.

Its quite a good package IMO, but the problem is life in Saudi.
He is a single guy in his late 20s. Is Saudi really the best for him?
Also how does the tax free salary work- would he have to pay UK income tax when he moved the money to the UK?

(P.S- he asked me post this here)
Not worth it! Saudi is a 'Harship Posting!' - Unless you were quoting USD 38,500 as a Monthly Salary!
Old May 24th 2012, 9:29 pm
Banned

Desert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to behold

My day of hardship today. Went to the beach, got a massage and then went to a party with booze and all.
Old May 25th 2012, 4:57 pm
Just Joined

Sun101 is an unknown quantity at this point

I advised him not to take the job again (I said he shouldn't take it before he went to the interview).

He says though he wants to do it as he will get the 12 months out of the way so he can save enough money to do a masters in the UK. He'd need around £15k and he reckons he will spend less than £10k in Saudi over the year considering mosts costs are already paid like accommodation and 1/3 of his meals- $40k being £25k.

I think he might take it.
Old May 25th 2012, 6:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sun101
I advised him not to take the job again (I said he shouldn't take it before he went to the interview).

He says though he wants to do it as he will get the 12 months out of the way so he can save enough money to do a masters in the UK. He'd need around £15k and he reckons he will spend less than £10k in Saudi over the year considering mosts costs are already paid like accommodation and 1/3 of his meals- $40k being £25k.

I think he might take it.
Ok he's a man on a mission in which case he should do it