British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Saudi Arabia travelling ok? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/saudi-arabia-travelling-ok-282005/)

confectman Feb 4th 2005 5:17 am

Saudi Arabia travelling ok?

Hi, it seems that I will work in Dubai beginning of april. A part of my job will be travelling once in a month to saudi arabia to visit my customers. In the moment nobody is there who would pick me up from airport and guide me threw the cities. I guess I have to rent a car at the airport.
Can anybody share his expirience on travelling to Saudi A.
Is is safe to travel around alone? How about Hotels there? Safe enough?
Do you think that the situation US/Iran is going to increase killings of expats in Saudi?
Yes, a lot of questions....I'm living in Singapore yet and would love to change to Dubai, but I wouldn't like to get sick of stomach pain because of thinking to travel to Saudi.
Thanks for sharing...

Rumble Tumble Feb 4th 2005 7:15 am

Re: Saudi Arabia travelling ok?

Originally Posted by confectman
Hi, it seems that I will work in Dubai beginning of april. A part of my job will be travelling once in a month to saudi arabia to visit my customers. In the moment nobody is there who would pick me up from airport and guide me threw the cities. I guess I have to rent a car at the airport.
Do you think that the situation US/Iran is going to increase killings of expats in Saudi?
Yes, a lot of questions....I'm living in Singapore yet and would love to change to Dubai, but I wouldn't like to get sick of stomach pain because of thinking to travel to Saudi.
Thanks for sharing...

Which parts of Saudi will you be visiting, is it a US based company??

johnbuoy Feb 4th 2005 8:45 am

Originally Posted by confectman
Thanks for sharing...

Jammy Dodger does a lot of travelling to Saudi ask him.

I can only speak for 10 years ago when it wasn't as troublesome so i am out of date

smartd Feb 4th 2005 8:46 am

I've been to saudi and had no problems ....

confectman Feb 4th 2005 11:52 am

Originally Posted by Rumble Tumble
Which parts of Saudi will you be visiting, is it a US based company??

Thanks for your reply! We are a german company selling Flavours & Fragrances. I'm supposed to travel to 3 cities: Riyad, Jeddah & Daaman

Bob Feb 4th 2005 4:19 pm

Search for Tamil..somin'...anyway, they use to live there...

Jammy_Dodgers Feb 5th 2005 8:27 am

Originally Posted by Bob
Search for Tamil..somin'...anyway, they use to live there...

Keep this in the front of your mind LOW PROFILE

I witnessed bombings and shootings, and saw a german guy shot and killed outside my office in Riyadh.
I just travel there then go to the clients site and then stay put in the hotel.
Keep your time spent on the street to a minimum.

If you hire a car, back sure you leave plenty of gaps in front of the car in front, so that if need be you can drive off down a slip road or take defensive action.

If you are there for a long time, vary the times and routes you use for work.
If the car park is not secure, ensure you park in a public place where you can see if someone is tampering with the car.

Even if someone comes over and is nice to you, and asks about you, tell them your spanish. do not tell them you are english or american.

Face81 Feb 5th 2005 8:48 am

Originally Posted by Jammy_Dodgers
Keep this in the front of your mind LOW PROFILE

I witnessed bombings and shootings, and saw a german guy shot and killed outside my office in Riyadh.
I just travel there then go to the clients site and then stay put in the hotel.
Keep your time spent on the street to a minimum.

If you hire a car, back sure you leave plenty of gaps in front of the car in front, so that if need be you can drive off down a slip road or take defensive action.

If you are there for a long time, vary the times and routes you use for work.
If the car park is not secure, ensure you park in a public place where you can see if someone is tampering with the car.

Even if someone comes over and is nice to you, and asks about you, tell them your spanish. do not tell them you are english or american.

saw this mornings gulf news and was literally shocked to learn that Riyadh is hosting an int'l meet on terrorism! I am scared for all the delegates.:scared:

Nabs Feb 5th 2005 8:49 am

I just got my Visa on wed :eek:

I'll be there soon :(

Frans Wind Feb 5th 2005 8:55 am

Originally Posted by Nabs
I just got my Visa on wed :eek:

I'll be there soon :(

The only problem is that when you check into a hotel, you are asked to leave your passport at the front desk the first night. God knows (besides the police) who else looks at it? My advise? If possible don't hire a car, find a taxi (indian / philipino) and use them. Never tell a taxi driver to wait for you. Riyadh really isn't safe, don't expect help from the police if something does happen. Don't stop or even try to help with car accidents unless they are European or Americans. Saudi's will claim the blood laws and you'll either be blamed and locked up, or pay huge amounts of money.

Frans

Face81 Feb 5th 2005 8:57 am

heres that summit in progress.............. what a comforting scene.....

http://www.gulfnews.com/Images/2005/...front_home.jpg

oh and those are saudi security forces, not terrorists! :eek: :eek: :scared:

Malteser Feb 5th 2005 9:01 am

Looks terrifying :scared:

Frans Wind Feb 5th 2005 9:05 am

And if a Saudi Pinguin (Women in Black) hits you with the remark you touched her? In gods name just say sorry and start walking away really fast. Don't go or get into political discussions. And don't tell a Saudi his country has AIDS patients in it. Which it does, but the unfortunate people are locked up for life in death camps. If you know a member of his family was picked up? Don't even ask about the person in question. Every Saudi with money goes to Europe or the US for medical treatement. Why? If a Saudi doctor detects AIDS, it is reported to the officials.

Face81 Feb 5th 2005 9:05 am

Originally Posted by Malteser
Looks terrifying :scared:

check out that concrete barrier blockade running around the hotel........ jeez...... what were they expecting, a nuke or sommat? :eek: :scared:

Frans Wind Feb 5th 2005 9:08 am

And if your stoped by the Royal Guard (The Police in red cars)? May god have mercy on you. For these guys a human life (American / European / Local / Indian / Paki / or what ever else) means nothing. I remember a quote from one of them years ago "Habibi the desert is big and doesn't speak or cry..."