Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Saudi Arabia travelling ok?

Saudi Arabia travelling ok?

Old Feb 6th 2005, 3:58 am
The 5th Amendment

joseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nice
Default Re: Saudi Arabia travelling ok?

Originally Posted by Face81
hello, hello!
u sound like a policeman.
Old Feb 6th 2005, 7:50 am
Forum Regular

smartd is a jewel in the roughsmartd is a jewel in the roughsmartd is a jewel in the roughsmartd is a jewel in the roughsmartd is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by joseph.creative
maybe the fact that BAE systems now over all their employees an extra BGP 1000 pcm to stay in KSA might give you a slight hint as to not bother with the place.

Now excpect to be shot down in flames for that comment, probably over their airspace aswell.

i will not be flamed for my opinion. neither will i flame someone for theirs
Old Feb 6th 2005, 8:25 am
The 5th Amendment

joseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nice

Originally Posted by smartd
i will not be flamed for my opinion. neither will i flame someone for theirs
i was expecting more of a Surface To Air missile!!! lol
Old Feb 6th 2005, 11:15 am
mamacares

amendoza is on a distinguished road

[QUOTE=JMS1]Hi I lived there for 10 years until very recently and while I agree with you Tami - I also think that if you keep your head down and just get on with your business you should be ok.
It is no way to live and that was the main reason we left but if you have to travel there (husband still does occassionaly) just take sensible precautions. Where is safe these days?

Agree. Been hearing helicopters rolling above our home since yesterday. Lots of check points , too. God knows what's next. Been here for 9 years and planning to make an exit soon. The way to survive is to keep you head and voice low. Honestly, can't wait to leave....

To all in KSA, keep safe!

Cheers,
Hannah
Old Feb 6th 2005, 11:30 am
Up in the air

Jammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=amendoza]
Originally Posted by JMS1
Hi I lived there for 10 years until very recently and while I agree with you Tami - I also think that if you keep your head down and just get on with your business you should be ok.
It is no way to live and that was the main reason we left but if you have to travel there (husband still does occassionaly) just take sensible precautions. Where is safe these days?

Agree. Been hearing helicopters rolling above our home since yesterday. Lots of check points , too. God knows what's next. Been here for 9 years and planning to make an exit soon. The way to survive is to keep you head and voice low. Honestly, can't wait to leave....

To all in KSA, keep safe!

Cheers,
Hannah
Were you in a compound ??
Old Feb 6th 2005, 12:18 pm
The Oracle

Face81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by joseph.creative
u sound like a policeman.
wot sort? Saudi special forces (:scared: ) or a London Bobby?
Old Feb 6th 2005, 5:10 pm
Just Joined

JMS1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jammy_Dodgers
Were you in a compound ??
Yes, in a couple of different ones over the years.
Old Feb 6th 2005, 11:12 pm
Yes, Master...

Tami2 is a jewel in the roughTami2 is a jewel in the roughTami2 is a jewel in the roughTami2 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by JMS1
Yes, in a couple of different ones over the years.
Hi,
Sorry it's taken me so long to get back to you. It's been a very busy weekend here; son's birthday and lots of other errands. I'm basically a single Mom for the time being. Unfortunately, we're not in Dubai yet. My husband is living and working there, but the kids and I had to come back to the states for the school year because we couldn't get them in to either of the American schools in Dubai. We're hopeful that we will get them in for this coming Fall. This separation has been horrible for all of us.

Yes, I'm sure we met. I lived at Villas Rosas for four years and was the Recreation Director there for the first 3, until the Al Hamra bombing killed my boss and his younger brothers cleaned out anyone who had worked for the elder brother. It was sad really. I think V.R. is almost empty now. Neither of the younger brothers has any head for business at all, and then with the massive exodus from the kingdom anyway, there's not much hope for it.

The kids and I will be spending our Spring Break in Dubai in early March and then will be moving over permanently in July. I'd love to meet up when I get there. PM me with your Email and I'll send you mine.

It's hard to explain to most people what it was like to live through the May 12 bombings and then again with Muhaya, that one was so close to V.R. that we actually heard the explosion. People don't understand the fear of going to sleep every night, wondering if you were going to be rocked out of your bed by an explosion or machine gun fire...if you'd be able to get to your kids in time...if the school bus would be attacked...so many fears. It just wasn't worth staying. I wouldn't go back there for any amount of money! I just hope Dubai stays safe and we don't have to go through all that terror again.

Hope to hear from you soon,
Tami
Old Feb 6th 2005, 11:28 pm
The Oracle

Face81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Tami2
Hi,
Sorry it's taken me so long to get back to you. It's been a very busy weekend here; son's birthday and lots of other errands. I'm basically a single Mom for the time being. Unfortunately, we're not in Dubai yet. My husband is living and working there, but the kids and I had to come back to the states for the school year because we couldn't get them in to either of the American schools in Dubai. We're hopeful that we will get them in for this coming Fall. This separation has been horrible for all of us.

Yes, I'm sure we met. I lived at Villas Rosas for four years and was the Recreation Director there for the first 3, until the Al Hamra bombing killed my boss and his younger brothers cleaned out anyone who had worked for the elder brother. It was sad really. I think V.R. is almost empty now. Neither of the younger brothers has any head for business at all, and then with the massive exodus from the kingdom anyway, there's not much hope for it.

The kids and I will be spending our Spring Break in Dubai in early March and then will be moving over permanently in July. I'd love to meet up when I get there. PM me with your Email and I'll send you mine.

It's hard to explain to most people what it was like to live through the May 12 bombings and then again with Muhaya, that one was so close to V.R. that we actually heard the explosion. People don't understand the fear of going to sleep every night, wondering if you were going to be rocked out of your bed by an explosion or machine gun fire...if you'd be able to get to your kids in time...if the school bus would be attacked...so many fears. It just wasn't worth staying. I wouldn't go back there for any amount of money! I just hope Dubai stays safe and we don't have to go through all that terror again.

Tami

OMG!
:scared: :scared: :scared: :scared:

Dubai will hopefully never go thru something like that. :scared:

I am so sorry that u and ur family had to endure that.
Old Feb 7th 2005, 2:10 am
Up in the air

Jammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tami2
Hi,

Tami
I know what that is like, I was in Cordoba and Arizona, and we had bomb scares a few times.

Its horrible having to turn your sofa upside down and sleep under it most nights (although i did find plenty of lost change).
We were advised to sleep under there with 2 bottles of water, food and a mobile....so we could phone someone from under the rubble.. ....scary

We had an ex SAS guy who would brief us most days. He would go to the British and US embassies most days to find out what was going on, but to be honest he said that he got more help and more honest answers from other embassies than those two, who are known for pandering to KSA's whim.

There is no life outside the compound, and non-essential travelling was too risky, so basically it is like being in an open prison.

So if your looking at the salary/rates..and they are above average...that is why.
I would not go back there to live for love nor money.. I have to do the odd business trip, but only for a fews days at a time, even that can be an ordeal !!
Old Mar 8th 2005, 9:00 pm
Just Joined

with out ! is an unknown quantity at this point

whats happen with you Frans Wind and Jammy_Dodgers?

my country not like this !!

may be there are a ( mother fuker boys! ) do bad thing and scaring people but not all saudi !!. and what do you mean Frans by ( blood laws ) ??!
there is no blood laws my frind in soudi arabia .. just in your dream !
Old Mar 8th 2005, 9:11 pm
The Oracle

Originally Posted by with out !

may be there are a ( mother fuker boys! ) do bad thing and scaring people but not all saudi !!. and what do you mean Frans by ( blood laws ) ??!
m8........ seriously..... who r u trying to fool......... Saudi is BAD news no matter where u go. Hence the mass exodous of expats........ it aint safe matey.

and u r starting to remind me of balushi. :scared:
Old Mar 8th 2005, 9:26 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Face81
and u r starting to remind me of balushi. :scared:

what do you meaning by this abreviation (m8)?
Old Mar 9th 2005, 7:31 am
UAE Expat

Frans Wind has much to be proud ofFrans Wind has much to be proud ofFrans Wind has much to be proud ofFrans Wind has much to be proud ofFrans Wind has much to be proud ofFrans Wind has much to be proud ofFrans Wind has much to be proud ofFrans Wind has much to be proud ofFrans Wind has much to be proud ofFrans Wind has much to be proud ofFrans Wind has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by with out !

Blood Laws? Habibi have you forgotton that if a none Saudi helps a Saudi in a accident and things later on go wrong, a death for instance, that "None Saudi" can be held financially responsible? Even if it is proven he could do nothing to prevent that? Twice in the 10+ years I have wittnissed such accidents, the second one with a staff member of the Al Jubail police sitting in my car. I can still hear the guy saying it "You're not a Saudi habibi... Step on the gas petal and may Allah forgive me telling you that."

I've been in your country long enough to know it better then the average Saudi does. Driven through it from east to west, north to south, close to 600.000 kilometers. A jail with out jail bars habibi or do I need to explain to you the "Travel Letter System" within Saudi Arabia? Or the brown "Iqama" system? Sure I went there to earn money, and if that idiot Saddam Hussein didn't pop into the picture? I would have sold my company and retired at the age of 50. I can understand that as a Saudi national you don't like to hear these things, but don't try to create a picture of paradise when it isn't one.

Frans

Last edited by Frans Wind; Mar 9th 2005 at 7:35 am.
Old Jun 16th 2005, 10:31 pm
Just Joined

something I should say it for every body here ( may be I,m later ) ...
I am not from soudi arabia

Cy