Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Saudi Arabia travelling ok?

Saudi Arabia travelling ok?

Old Feb 5th 2005, 9:10 am
The Delivery Man...

Nabs has much to be proud ofNabs has much to be proud ofNabs has much to be proud ofNabs has much to be proud ofNabs has much to be proud ofNabs has much to be proud ofNabs has much to be proud ofNabs has much to be proud ofNabs has much to be proud ofNabs has much to be proud ofNabs has much to be proud of
Default Re: Saudi Arabia travelling ok?

Originally Posted by Frans Wind
And if your stoped by the Royal Guard (The Police in red cars)? May god have mercy on you. For these guys a human life (American / European / Local / Indian / Paki / or what ever else) means nothing. I remember a quote from one of them years ago "Habibi the desert is big and doesn't speak or cry..."

:scared: :scared:
Old Feb 5th 2005, 9:12 am
UAE Expat

Frans Wind has much to be proud ofFrans Wind has much to be proud ofFrans Wind has much to be proud ofFrans Wind has much to be proud ofFrans Wind has much to be proud ofFrans Wind has much to be proud ofFrans Wind has much to be proud ofFrans Wind has much to be proud ofFrans Wind has much to be proud ofFrans Wind has much to be proud ofFrans Wind has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Nabs
:scared: :scared:
Just go look at there building in Dammam or Riyadh, it says it all...
Old Feb 5th 2005, 9:16 am
UAE Expat

Frans Wind has much to be proud ofFrans Wind has much to be proud ofFrans Wind has much to be proud ofFrans Wind has much to be proud ofFrans Wind has much to be proud ofFrans Wind has much to be proud ofFrans Wind has much to be proud ofFrans Wind has much to be proud ofFrans Wind has much to be proud ofFrans Wind has much to be proud ofFrans Wind has much to be proud of

Or....

Drive from Jeddah towards Riyadh, take the excite that leeds to the gold mines (which Saudi's deny excist) you'll pass one of the AIDS camps. In Gods name, don't stop, don't try to make pictures or a video tape of it....
Old Feb 5th 2005, 11:42 am
Forum Regular

smartd is a jewel in the roughsmartd is a jewel in the roughsmartd is a jewel in the roughsmartd is a jewel in the roughsmartd is a jewel in the rough

I disagree. I believe you are taking things a bit out of proportion.
Majority of the time its fine as long as you aren't looking for trouble.

Also each year its better then the past.

Cheers,

D

Last edited by smartd; Feb 5th 2005 at 11:47 am.
Old Feb 5th 2005, 12:10 pm
UAE Expat

Originally Posted by smartd

Cheers,

D
Well worked and lived there for nearly 10 years. Traveled through Saudi Arabia a lot. I think that entittles me to write what I wrote.

Frans
Old Feb 5th 2005, 12:11 pm
semarang

novita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond repute

I only can say prevention is better than cure. So everybody going there pls be safe...
Old Feb 5th 2005, 12:23 pm
Yes, Master...

Tami2 is a jewel in the roughTami2 is a jewel in the roughTami2 is a jewel in the roughTami2 is a jewel in the rough

Cheers,

D
Smartd,
I remember that you recently made a trip to Riyadh, but I don't think that qualifies you to say that those of us who actually lived there have taken it out of proportion. I don't know about Frans, but JD and I did live there until recently, and it's definately not as you said "each year its better then the past."

I must agree that the period from May 2003-May 2004 was the most volitile and had the biggest number of casualties, however, it hasn't stopped. There are still car bombs and shoot-outs between the Saudi police and the terrorists on a regular basis. We still have friends who live in Riyadh and we are in almost daily contact with them. Nothing has changed since we left in June. You still have to live in armed camps with machinegun weilding 17 year old Saudi boys pointing their guns at you when you enter or leave your compound. They still receive reminders each week to vary their route to work or school, in order to throw off any terrorists who might be watching for them. Compounds and schools are still surrounded by barbed wire fences, concrete baracades and the Saudi National Guard in tanks and machine-gun loaded jeeps. It's no way to live and it won't be a safe place for many years to come. The wonderful expat life we had in Saudi is a thing of the past.

Oh, also, we were told directly by the community liason of the US embassy, when asked why we weren't given any help when my husband was beaten up at a traffic light by 5 Saudi young men, "We're not here for you or any other U.S. citizen, unfortunatley we are here for our country's commercial and political interests, and that's all." So, if you think you can run to the embassy and find safety behind those big, black, Marine-protected gates, think again. In a crisis, they won't even let you in. You're on your own. Got it straight from the horse's mouth.

My opinion...don't go if you can possibly avoid it...if you must go, remember everything JD wrote and don't call any attention to yourself.

Good Luck, Confectman
Old Feb 5th 2005, 1:36 pm
Just Joined

JMS1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Tami2
Smartd,
I remember that you recently made a trip to Riyadh, but I don't think that qualifies you to say that those of us who actually lived there have taken it out of proportion. I don't know about Frans, but JD and I did live there until recently, and it's definately not as you said "each year its better then the past."

I must agree that the period from May 2003-May 2004 was the most volitile and had the biggest number of casualties, however, it hasn't stopped. There are still car bombs and shoot-outs between the Saudi police and the terrorists on a regular basis. We still have friends who live in Riyadh and we are in almost daily contact with them. Nothing has changed since we left in June. You still have to live in armed camps with machinegun weilding 17 year old Saudi boys pointing their guns at you when you enter or leave your compound. They still receive reminders each week to vary their route to work or school, in order to throw off any terrorists who might be watching for them. Compounds and schools are still surrounded by barbed wire fences, concrete baracades and the Saudi National Guard in tanks and machine-gun loaded jeeps. It's no way to live and it won't be a safe place for many years to come. The wonderful expat life we had in Saudi is a thing of the past.

Oh, also, we were told directly by the community liason of the US embassy, when asked why we weren't given any help when my husband was beaten up at a traffic light by 5 Saudi young men, "We're not here for you or any other U.S. citizen, unfortunatley we are here for our country's commercial and political interests, and that's all." So, if you think you can run to the embassy and find safety behind those big, black, Marine-protected gates, think again. In a crisis, they won't even let you in. You're on your own. Got it straight from the horse's mouth.

My opinion...don't go if you can possibly avoid it...if you must go, remember everything JD wrote and don't call any attention to yourself.

Good Luck, Confectman
Hi I lived there for 10 years until very recently and while I agree with you Tami - I also think that if you keep your head down and just get on with your business you should be ok.
It is no way to live and that was the main reason we left but if you have to travel there (husband still does occassionaly) just take sensible precautions. Where is safe these days?

On a personal note, I think we've met - didn't you used to live on Villa Rosas? I was also at the monthly business round ups. The Travelling Gallery - I also taught art. Are you in Dubai now? I'll be joining hubby after the summer so maybe we can meet up.
Old Feb 5th 2005, 2:12 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Face81
saw this mornings gulf news and was literally shocked to learn that Riyadh is hosting an int'l meet on terrorism! I am scared for all the delegates.:scared:
some irony in that ain't it...
Old Feb 5th 2005, 2:18 pm
The Oracle

Face81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Bob
some irony in that ain't it...
irony? more like a death wish. :scared:
Old Feb 5th 2005, 3:15 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

irony? more like a death wish. :scared:
they have pretty heavy security all round though...so be mad to try somin'...better to try it after, when delegates get home, or before they leave for the thingy
Old Feb 5th 2005, 9:09 pm
Forum Regular

smartd is a jewel in the roughsmartd is a jewel in the roughsmartd is a jewel in the roughsmartd is a jewel in the roughsmartd is a jewel in the rough

to each his opinion i get. I'm not to judge what's right or wrong

Be safe all ye who flyee to saudiii
Old Feb 5th 2005, 9:57 pm
The 5th Amendment

joseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nice

heres that summit in progress.............. what a comforting scene.....

oh and those are saudi security forces, not terrorists! :scared:
looks a bit like Catford to me but without the palm trees...
Old Feb 5th 2005, 10:01 pm
The 5th Amendment

joseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nice

to each his opinion i get. I'm not to judge what's right or wrong

Be safe all ye who flyee to saudiii
maybe the fact that BAE systems now over all their employees an extra BGP 1000 pcm to stay in KSA might give you a slight hint as to not bother with the place.

Now excpect to be shot down in flames for that comment, probably over their airspace aswell.
Old Feb 5th 2005, 10:31 pm
The Oracle

Face81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by joseph.creative
maybe the fact that BAE systems now over all their employees an extra BGP 1000 pcm to stay in KSA might give you a slight hint as to not bother with the place.

Now excpect to be shot down in flames for that comment, probably over their airspace aswell.
hello, hello!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.