Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Is Saudi-Arabia a tax free country?

Is Saudi-Arabia a tax free country?

Old Sep 13th 2010, 10:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Bonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud of
Default Re: Is Saudi-Arabia a tax free country?

Originally Posted by Ellie and Jason
Oh and this comment - WHY? because god forbid I don't agree with you!!!! It is very clear to me you have made a much harsher and determined judgment that cannot be swayed - surely that is far more blinkered??!!!

Bonny Boy - you mentioned the Asir mountains - this is where we are and it is really nice here, have you been? Well worth a visit if you get the chance!
xxx
Yes, drove up to Taif this last week end - about two hours from Jeddah and 5,000ft up - nice and (relatively) cool. Enjoyed a glass of mint tea in a local cafe and got chatting with some friendly Saudi lads and the Indian proprietor.

On other occasions I have travelled south of Taif - really wild and undeveloped country up there!
Old Sep 13th 2010, 11:15 am
Forum Regular

Ellie and Jason is a jewel in the roughEllie and Jason is a jewel in the roughEllie and Jason is a jewel in the roughEllie and Jason is a jewel in the roughEllie and Jason is a jewel in the rough

oooh nice - we are planning to drive back to the UK next year (had planned it this year but the paperwork was delayed and we were in a rush lol!) But as it stands depending on husbands job we will drive - give us a chance to see more of KSA as well as the other 8 countries along the way! :-)

where we are is about 8000 ft up - the highest peak is not too far from here, which is about 10,000 feet - that is an amazing view! :-) and the climate here is great too - especially with having young children! :-) We get rain and sun - which is perfect!
xxx

Last edited by Ellie and Jason; Sep 13th 2010 at 11:17 am.
Old Sep 13th 2010, 3:00 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

OMG - ok so shows how much you guys really know!!! As for seeing the real Saudi - well thank you VERY much i do - far more than ANY expat I know here - most expats live in secluded compounds where the markets come to them - but i can assure you i do not!

But YOU stated you live in a compound. I’m cannot reconcile your statement that UK is more restricted and controlled a society with the truth that is Saudi Arabia. So how much do we guys know? I know that women’s rights are virtually non-existent. And I’m not merely talking about the fact that they can’t drive. Realistically, what social and career opportunities do they have beyond those which their male relatives and patriarchal society allow them? Practically zero. How does that compare with UK? Do Saudi women—in their own country—enjoy the same freedoms which you do there? No, they don’t.

i have probably seen more Saudi than most westerners know exist. so kindly get off your high horse!

I lived there for 2 years (not on a compound), and now I visit frequently. I interact with locals when I go there. It’s not a high-horse view, it’s down-to-earth realism about the state which people live in, and the strict controls which are put upon them. The freedoms which we enjoy in the UK are almost at the other end of the spectrum compared with the strictures of Saudi life.

if someone is going to call another country a shithole then really they need to be in a position to compare it with their country and the UK is not a perfect place by any stretch of the imagination, it has many faults - which many people prefer not to acknowledge, I however do! And will quite happily acknowledge the faults of KSA and any other country - but quite honestly if someone thinks that KSA is a shithole I dread to think how the UK is viewed. And more to the point if you don't like a country -it is simple don't go there!

But there are both relative and absolute views. Relatively, Saudi controls half its population, based on gender, and they are definitely not free: UK does not, there is more-or-less equality; so, relatively, it's far worse than UK. Absolutely (ie regardless of what the rest of the world or any other particular nation does), allowing gender to decide who you can meet and what you can do is wrong; I doubt you can argue against that.

and Bahtatboy - maybe you need to step outside your little expat bubble! - I have taken a very broad look at Saudi, from a lot of angles - I do not live on a purely western compound nor do I stay in here with my 'effective blinkers' on - maybe you are the one not looking at the bigger picture - so many expats come here with an automatic view that it must be crap because women cover up and you can't have a beer and a bacon buttie - and THIS is what clouds THEIR judgment, not allowing THEM to see the bigger picture, I however came here with an open mind. As for my job - I teach Saudi women, allowing me to see Saudi threw their eyes as well!

The first time I arrived, during that stay, and subsequently on my frequent visits, I keep an open mind. I do not mind that I can’t have beer or bacon (pork is freely available here in AD, but I can’t be bothered to buy it); it’s the hypocrisy of (for one very easy example) seeing pissed-up Saudis in Bahrain on any night of the week or in London at other times. The bigger view is that, despite various dignitaries talking about progression and change, Saudi doesn’t want to give certain rights. I’m not talking about westernisation—why should they, western society is fractured at best—I’m talking about those rights which from an absolute perspective are fundamental to a fair society. A handful of princes being audibly in favour of basic human rights won’t change anything, at least not in the short or medium term. That’s one of the main reasons why another poster referred to it as a shithole.

There’s a really dangerous line between tolerance and indifference. If every time someone criticised a country the immediate call is “Well, if you don’t like it, don’t come”, progress would be rare and we’d live in a world where genuine, objective criticism would never be heard.

Oh and this comment - WHY? because god forbid I don't agree with you!!!! It is very clear to me you have made a much harsher and determined judgment that cannot be swayed - surely that is far more blinkered??!!!

Because it seems that you’re ignoring the deep unfairness of the country you live in, yet say that the UK is more controlled and contrived. I’m not particularly fond of many aspects of UK (nor of other countries where I’ve lived), but an objective analysis reveals the balance between the good, the bad and the mediocre. Examine all aspects of what both nationals and aliens are subject to in Saudi, and objectively assess if they’re good, bad or mediocre.
Old Sep 13th 2010, 4:01 pm
Forum Regular

Ellie and Jason is a jewel in the roughEllie and Jason is a jewel in the roughEllie and Jason is a jewel in the roughEllie and Jason is a jewel in the roughEllie and Jason is a jewel in the rough

Examine all aspects of what both nationals and aliens are subject to in Saudi, and objectively assess if they’re good, bad or mediocre.

This I have! I have expressed what I think and the only reason you think I may not have assessed it objectively is because you don't agree.

But YOU stated you live in a compound

Yes I have stated I live on a compound but far from the type you are imagining - its is far from being a high class, westernized view obstructing compound - the reason it is a compound is because my husband works for the Saudi MODA, and the compound is purely a way of collectively housing employees rather than renting us houses all over the place. It is certainly not like any of the compounds I have seen in places like Jeddah or Riyadh.

I know that women’s rights are virtually non-existent. And I’m not merely talking about the fact that they can’t drive. Realistically, what social and career opportunities do they have beyond those which their male relatives and patriarchal society allow them? Practically zero. How does that compare with UK? Do Saudi women—in their own country—enjoy the same freedoms which you do there? No, they don’t.

Well the women I teach certainly have very realistic opportunities - and quite honestly they are happy - and so are all Saudi women I have spoken to open and frankly about their lives. I am by no means niave enough to believe that ALL Saudi women are happy, granted, but there is always a section of society that isn't happy with the rulings of their country.

The freedoms which we enjoy in the UK are almost at the other end of the spectrum compared with the strictures of Saudi life.

But who is to say the 'freedoms' we have in the UK are right or fair? We have the freedom to rape, steal, mug other people with a minor stint in a luxury prison - hardly what I call free for the victims of these crimes. We are free to work, for a price. We are free to vote - for what means??? So our so called freedom over there is a little over rated!

UK does not, there is more-or-less equality

Equal?? Are you serious??? There is absolutely nothing equal in the UK - this is exactly what I mean about the fact that the UK give the impression we are free etc, but in fact we are, it is just done in a far more subtle way than Saudi, at least Saudi are honest about their restrictions!

There’s a really dangerous line between tolerance and indifference. If every time someone criticised a country the immediate call is “Well, if you don’t like it, don’t come”, progress would be rare and we’d live in a world where genuine, objective criticism would never be heard.

Genuine objective criticism would be fine, but I see so many expats moan and whinge about life in the country they are in - it is disrespectful - people need to look at what the country they are in has given them - it is obviously something that their own country isn't giving them otherwise they would have stayed there!

it’s the hypocrisy of (for one very easy example) seeing pissed-up Saudis in Bahrain on any night of the week or in London at other times.

This is a religious thing not a Saudi thing - Muslims cannot drink alcohol, not just Saudi muslims - if they drink alcohol then on their conscience be it - that is between them and their religion, Saudi is not the only muslim country that does not allow alcohol.

Because it seems that you’re ignoring the deep unfairness of the country you live in

I am definitely not ignoring any unfairness - I don't believe it is how the western press portray it to be nor do I believe that what some westerners believe to be unfair is actually unfair. And who are we to judge what is fair and unfair?? Who said the way we have things is the right and fairest way to have them? I am not saying who is right or wrong, am merely pointing out that we cannot pass judgment on what is right or wrong in Saudi, unless we have found the formula for perfection, which I am pretty sure we have not.

A handful of princes being audibly in favour of basic human rights won’t change anything, at least not in the short or medium term.

Firstly it isn't about them being in favour of basic human rights - basic human rights are food water and shelter I am sure every prince of every province in this country will whole heartedly believe in that - in fact ANY human being! People seem to think that everything we have in the west is what everyone should have - that's not right - every society has a different set of rules - ok as soon as a society is blatantly bending certain rules (ie letting their nationals, starve, be murdered/beaten etc etc etc etc) then obviously as people we need to step in - but Saudi is just different to us and who are we to say whether that is right or wrong?

Progress should start in the country itself, possibly drawing on others to help them progress of course, but the country needs to want and more importantly needs to be ready for any such changes. My point is some peoples blatant intolerance for Saudi and other countries. People don't have the right and most of these people draw this conclusion on the basis that they don't like it so it must be wrong. Different people, different cultures, different countries! And yes I would undoubtedly stand by my opinion of if you don;t like a country don't go there, without question. By being in a country one is taking something from that country, something which they cannot get back home - whether it be money, weather, freedom, religion, whatever - the point is people should have respect for the country they live in and if they don't - leave! It is THAT simple.
Old Sep 13th 2010, 7:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

mission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TrapMan
For a person who depends upon the quality of written communication, it might be helpful for you to go on some sort of training course as your written English is not very good to say the least!!!!!
and who the eff put you in charge of the frigging english dictionary.

try writing in a foreign language yourself, douchebag.

Last edited by mission; Sep 13th 2010 at 8:00 pm. Reason: grammer
Old Sep 13th 2010, 8:31 pm
Forum Regular

tieresias is a name known to alltieresias is a name known to alltieresias is a name known to alltieresias is a name known to alltieresias is a name known to alltieresias is a name known to alltieresias is a name known to alltieresias is a name known to alltieresias is a name known to alltieresias is a name known to alltieresias is a name known to all

[I]Progress should start in the country itself, possibly drawing on others to help them progress of course, but the country needs to want and more importantly needs to be ready for any such changes.
the point is people should have respect for the country they live in and if they don't - leave! It is THAT simple.
As economic migrants, and especially as well-informed economic migrants like British Expats, we (should) know what we are getting involved with and make the decision beforehand whether or not we can live with it. There are lots of aspects of KSA that I don't like, but some that I do and the money (and its tax-free status) makes it an agreeable deal to me. That said, I am not going to rape anyone, murder my daughters, etc just because they are apparently allowed here. Nor will I pretend to believe in an Invisible Friend.
Old Oct 3rd 2010, 9:15 pm
Just Joined

bishy118 is an unknown quantity at this point

Examine all aspects of what both nationals and aliens are subject to in Saudi, and objectively assess if they’re good, bad or mediocre.

This I have! I have expressed what I think and the only reason you think I may not have assessed it objectively is because you don't agree.

But YOU stated you live in a compound

Yes I have stated I live on a compound but far from the type you are imagining - its is far from being a high class, westernized view obstructing compound - the reason it is a compound is because my husband works for the Saudi MODA, and the compound is purely a way of collectively housing employees rather than renting us houses all over the place. It is certainly not like any of the compounds I have seen in places like Jeddah or Riyadh.

I know that women’s rights are virtually non-existent. And I’m not merely talking about the fact that they can’t drive. Realistically, what social and career opportunities do they have beyond those which their male relatives and patriarchal society allow them? Practically zero. How does that compare with UK? Do Saudi women—in their own country—enjoy the same freedoms which you do there? No, they don’t.

Well the women I teach certainly have very realistic opportunities - and quite honestly they are happy - and so are all Saudi women I have spoken to open and frankly about their lives. I am by no means niave enough to believe that ALL Saudi women are happy, granted, but there is always a section of society that isn't happy with the rulings of their country.

The freedoms which we enjoy in the UK are almost at the other end of the spectrum compared with the strictures of Saudi life.

But who is to say the 'freedoms' we have in the UK are right or fair? We have the freedom to rape, steal, mug other people with a minor stint in a luxury prison - hardly what I call free for the victims of these crimes. We are free to work, for a price. We are free to vote - for what means??? So our so called freedom over there is a little over rated!

UK does not, there is more-or-less equality

Equal?? Are you serious??? There is absolutely nothing equal in the UK - this is exactly what I mean about the fact that the UK give the impression we are free etc, but in fact we are, it is just done in a far more subtle way than Saudi, at least Saudi are honest about their restrictions!

Genuine objective criticism would be fine, but I see so many expats moan and whinge about life in the country they are in - it is disrespectful - people need to look at what the country they are in has given them - it is obviously something that their own country isn't giving them otherwise they would have stayed there!

it’s the hypocrisy of (for one very easy example) seeing pissed-up Saudis in Bahrain on any night of the week or in London at other times.

This is a religious thing not a Saudi thing - Muslims cannot drink alcohol, not just Saudi muslims - if they drink alcohol then on their conscience be it - that is between them and their religion, Saudi is not the only muslim country that does not allow alcohol.

Because it seems that you’re ignoring the deep unfairness of the country you live in

I am definitely not ignoring any unfairness - I don't believe it is how the western press portray it to be nor do I believe that what some westerners believe to be unfair is actually unfair. And who are we to judge what is fair and unfair?? Who said the way we have things is the right and fairest way to have them? I am not saying who is right or wrong, am merely pointing out that we cannot pass judgment on what is right or wrong in Saudi, unless we have found the formula for perfection, which I am pretty sure we have not.

A handful of princes being audibly in favour of basic human rights won’t change anything, at least not in the short or medium term.

Firstly it isn't about them being in favour of basic human rights - basic human rights are food water and shelter I am sure every prince of every province in this country will whole heartedly believe in that - in fact ANY human being! People seem to think that everything we have in the west is what everyone should have - that's not right - every society has a different set of rules - ok as soon as a society is blatantly bending certain rules (ie letting their nationals, starve, be murdered/beaten etc etc etc etc) then obviously as people we need to step in - but Saudi is just different to us and who are we to say whether that is right or wrong?

Progress should start in the country itself, possibly drawing on others to help them progress of course, but the country needs to want and more importantly needs to be ready for any such changes. My point is some peoples blatant intolerance for Saudi and other countries. People don't have the right and most of these people draw this conclusion on the basis that they don't like it so it must be wrong. Different people, different cultures, different countries! And yes I would undoubtedly stand by my opinion of if you don;t like a country don't go there, without question. By being in a country one is taking something from that country, something which they cannot get back home - whether it be money, weather, freedom, religion, whatever - the point is people should have respect for the country they live in and if they don't - leave! It is THAT simple.
Good well informed answers and have learned more on this thread than nearly the rest of the site Thanks.
Old Oct 4th 2010, 4:42 am
Account Closed

weasel central is an unknown quantity at this point

it may not be a shithole but judging by how the citizens just throw rubbish from their cars it must be a dump at least.
Old Oct 4th 2010, 4:41 pm
Forum Regular

prwatts is just really niceprwatts is just really niceprwatts is just really niceprwatts is just really niceprwatts is just really niceprwatts is just really niceprwatts is just really niceprwatts is just really niceprwatts is just really niceprwatts is just really nice

Originally Posted by bishy118
Good well informed answers and have learned more on this thread than nearly the rest of the site Thanks.
Disagree. Ellie's answers are the most one-sided and fanciful ideas I have read in these 4 pages of drivel. What is written bears no resemblance to my experience and I work in a Saudi Company and all my colleagues are Saudis. Anyone who trashes Britain should give up their British Citizenship and take on Nigerian or Liberian Citizenship and then try and live on this planet.
Old Oct 4th 2010, 7:08 pm
Banned

twisty100 will become famous soon enough

Load of drivel.
Old Oct 4th 2010, 7:26 pm
Just Joined

Can you expand on why its a load of drivel as I said im going out there next month and after endless trolling of online sites im finding it hard to get the truth about Riyadh. There seems to be little middle ground!
Old Oct 4th 2010, 7:53 pm
Forum Regular

prwatts is just really niceprwatts is just really niceprwatts is just really niceprwatts is just really niceprwatts is just really niceprwatts is just really niceprwatts is just really niceprwatts is just really niceprwatts is just really niceprwatts is just really nice

Can you expand on why its a load of drivel as I said im going out there next month and after endless trolling of online sites im finding it hard to get the truth about Riyadh. There seems to be little middle ground!
As with most things in life it depends on your value system, your expectations and your world-view. I find it to be safe from a security point of view, aggressive drivers but not much worse than most places east of Greenwich. Cost of living a bit higher than UK unless you want to replicate a western lifestyle. The biggest challenge is to deal with the bureaucracy - it is mostly a case of patience and quiet perseverance and persistence. The rules are inflexible and ridgidly applied. It is a culture largely based on politeness and intrigue, with an easy-going approach to paying debts and wages but they pay in the end. It depends very much on how you will be employed here - if for a local company it is harder but if you are with a multinational it is usually ok. I find it a big challenge to get information that is accurate. Riyadh is hot but dry, I cycle in the 55 degree heat without any hassles (and I am no spring chicken) one has to drink a lot. It is cooling down now and can be quite pleasant. What else? They are proud and respond agressively to any criticism - who doesn't? They are insulated from the world so have a bit of a lop-sided view sometimes, but the younger generation are into the Tech and are much the same as ours, on their phones and computers. You will encounter a lot of people from Pakistan, Bangladesh and the Phillipines.
If you have any specific questions most folk on this Forum will give a balanced answer - it is occasional that threads like this descend into a bit of opinionated slinging. BE is a good forum.
Old Oct 4th 2010, 8:40 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the reply I suppose the intrigue adds to the lack of real openess about this country. I am a wee bit apprehensive about moving here as im leaving a steady dependable job to go working for a company i know little about and a tradition i know absolutely nothing about either. So the intrigue i guess is working both ways and my wife is going to come out in the New Year which should be fun altogether lol
Old Oct 5th 2010, 5:42 am
BE Enthusiast

Bonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud of

Thanks for the reply I suppose the intrigue adds to the lack of real openess about this country. I am a wee bit apprehensive about moving here as im leaving a steady dependable job to go working for a company i know little about and a tradition i know absolutely nothing about either. So the intrigue i guess is working both ways and my wife is going to come out in the New Year which should be fun altogether lol
You appear to be heading to Riyadh, whereas Ellie is up in the Asir mountains.

It's a bit like taking the views of someone who lives in the Lake District before moving to London.

To some extent I share Ellie's world view; I too get tired of expats who endlessly moan about the places they have chosen to go to. I also accept we live in the post-colonial era, for better or worse, and so I have no interest in playing the neo-colonial and telling the 'natives' that they should be organising their society just like the Brits.
Old Oct 5th 2010, 6:27 am
Just Joined

Yes im for Riyadh at the start of November and must admit im a bit apprehensive however I will go there and see for myself how life really is. My wife is going to join me in the New year so heres hoping it quite a good experience. I have no idea yet where im staying and if I get Sky sports i,ll be half way there to contentment lol

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.